Which Strategy Maximizes Expected Reward in a Paper-Picking Game?

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the problem discussed is a variant of the exchange paradox where a philanthropist writes a positive number on a piece of paper and an impartial observer flips a coin to determine the amount written on a blue paper. The person can choose to turn over either the blue or red paper and receive the corresponding amount or the unknown amount written on the other paper. If the person wants their expected reward to be large, it is advantageous to always choose the blue paper. However, if the number is odd and x/2 is written on the blue paper, it is advantageous to choose the red paper. The expected reward depends on whether x is an integer or a real number.
e(ho0n3
[SOLVED] Which Paper Do I Pick?

Homework Statement
A philanthropist writes a positive number x on a piece of paper, shows it to an impartial observer, and then turns it face down on the table. The observer then flips a fair coin. If it shows heads, she writes the value 2x, and, if tails, the value x/2, on a piece of blue paper which she then turns face down on the table. Without knowing either the value x or the result of the coin flip, you have the option of turning over either red or the blue piece of paper. After doing so, and observing the number written on that paper, you may elect to receive as a reward either that amount or the (unknown) amount written on the other piece of paper. For instance, if you elect to turn over the blue paper and observe the value 100, then you can elect either to accept 100 as a reward or to take the amount (either 200 or 50) on the red paper. Suppose that you would like your expected reward to be large.

(a) Argue that there is no reason to turn over the red paper first because if you do so, then no matter what value you observe, it is always better to switch to the blue paper.

(b) Let y be a fixed nonnegative value, and consider the following strategy. Turn over the blue paper and if its value is at least y, then accept that amount. If it is less than y, then switch to the red paper. Let R_y(x) denote the reward obtained if the philanthropist writes the amount x and you employ this strategy. Find E[R_y(x)]. Note that E[R_0(x)] is the expected reward if the philanthropist writes the amount x when you employ the strategy of always choosing the blue paper.

The attempt at a solution
(a) If I look at the blue paper and observe 100, then either 200 or 50 is written on the red paper. If I look at the red paper and observe 100, then either 200 or 50 is written on the blue paper. It doesn't matter which paper I look at first then. If I decide to receive the amount in the unknown piece of paper, then I will obtain twice the value I saw 50% of the time right? But this means the value I observe will be twice that written on the other piece of paper 50% of the time. So it doesn't matter what decision I make.

Of course, if I just want to obtain twice what the philanthropist wrote, I will always pick the blue paper. So, under this criteria, there is no need to look at the red paper.

(b) E[R_0(x)] = 2x * 0.5 + x/2 * 0.5 = x + x/4 = 5/4 x right? For arbitrary y, if x < y, then R_y(x) = x. If x >= y, then R_y(x) = 2x or x/2. P{R_y(x) = x} = P{R_y(x) = x|x < y}P{x < y} + P{R_y(x) = x|x >= y}P{x >= y} which simplifies to P{x < y}. What is this though?

Physics news on Phys.org
e(ho0n3 said:
Of course, if I just want to obtain twice what the philanthropist wrote, I will always pick the blue paper. So, under this criteria, there is no need to look at the red paper.
You don't know that! The blue paper might have half what the philanthropist wrote on the red paper.

This problem is a variant of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchange_paradox" .

If by positive number you mean positive integer, then there is a definite twist to this problem as compared to the standard versions of the exchange paradox. If you pick the blue paper first and see an odd amount written on it then you should choose the value on the red paper instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
D H said:
You don't know that! The blue paper might have half what the philanthropist wrote on the red paper.
I know, but I'll have to risk it if I want to get twice what the philanthropist wrote.

If by positive number you mean positive integer, then there is a definite twist to this problem as compared to the standard versions of the exchange paradox. If you pick the blue paper first and see an odd amount written on it then you should choose the value on the red paper instead.
I think "positive number" means positive real, so x/2 is given exactly (no rounding).

If x is real, I don't see any possible advantage of turning over one of the papers. If I employ the strategy of always selecting as reward the amount written on the red paper, then my expected reward is x. If I employ the strategy of always selecting as reward the amount written on the blue paper, then my expected reward is 5/4x. Thus, if I want my expected value to be large, I must employ the latter strategy.

If x is an integer, then the situation is different: Suppose x is odd and x/2 was written on the blue paper. I choose to look at the blue paper and observe that the number ends in .5. I immediately conclude that x must be odd and so I choose the red paper. It is thus advantageous to look at the value on the blue paper.

But what is my expected reward in this situtation? Assume that x is odd 0.5 of the time. If I employ the strategy of picking as reward the value written on the red paper even if I see that the value on the blue paper does not end in .5, my expected reward is x. If I employ the strategy of picking as reward the value on the blue paper if that value does not end in .5 and the value on the red paper otherwise, then my expected reward is 0.5 * x + 0.25 * 2x + 0.25 * x/2 = 9/8x. If I employ the strategy of just picking as reward the value on the blue paper regardless of what I see, then my expected reward is 5/4x. It's counterintuitive that the latter strategy will actually yield a higher expected reward that the strategy mentioned before it. Hmm...

So by this analysis, it is always better to pick the value on the blue paper. It's not even necessary to turn over one of the papers.

The above post takes care of problem (a). The solution to (b) would depend, I think, on the distribution the philanthropist is using for choosing his x's. Am I right?

I had a look at the answer in the book. I got (a) right but (b) wrong.

Concerning (b), I don't have to worry about the distribution the philanthropist is using for choosing x. All I needed to do was to consider these three cases: y < x/2, x/2 <= y < 2x and y >= 2x.

Given y < x/2, then I would always pick the blue paper and so my expected value is 5/4x. Given x/2 <= y < 2x, then I would pick the value on the red paper half of the time and the value on the blue paper the rest of the time. The expected value in this situation is 0.5 * 2x + 0.5 * x = 3/2x. Given y >= 2x, I will always end up picking the value on the red paper and so the expected value is x.

Sigh. I can't believe it was this easy. That's what I get for overcomplicating.

1. What is the difference between coated and uncoated paper?

Coated paper has a layer of coating, usually made of clay or other minerals, applied to one or both sides of the sheet. This makes it smoother and more resistant to absorbing ink, resulting in sharper images and brighter colors. Uncoated paper does not have this layer, so it is more porous and has a rougher texture.

2. What are the benefits of using recycled paper?

Using recycled paper helps to reduce the amount of waste sent to landfills and conserves natural resources. It also requires less energy and water to produce, resulting in a smaller carbon footprint. Additionally, recycled paper can be just as high quality as non-recycled paper.

3. How do I determine the weight and thickness of a paper?

Paper weight is measured in pounds (lb) or grams per square meter (gsm). The higher the weight, the thicker and heavier the paper. The thickness, or caliper, of a paper is measured in thousandths of an inch. A paper's weight and thickness can usually be found on the packaging or by contacting the manufacturer.

4. What is the difference between brightness and whiteness in paper?

Brightness refers to how much light a paper reflects, with higher percentages indicating a brighter paper. Whiteness, on the other hand, measures how white the paper appears to the human eye. A paper can have a high brightness but a lower whiteness if it has a blue undertone.

5. Can I use the same paper for both laser and inkjet printers?

It is important to use the correct paper for your printer type. Laser printers use heat to fuse toner onto the paper, so they require paper that can withstand high temperatures. Inkjet printers, on the other hand, use liquid ink that can easily absorb into the paper, so they require a more porous paper. Using the wrong paper can result in poor print quality or damage to the printer.