Which rules to use (Product rule?)

In summary, the conversation was about finding the gradient of a curve at a specific point. The problem involved rearranging a function and using the power rule. The person asking for help was unsure about how to treat the brackets in the original equation and needed clarification.
BOAS

Homework Statement

Find the gradient of the curve at the given point on the curve

y = [itex]\frac{(√x - 1)}{√x}[/itex] where x = 9

Homework Equations

y(x) = u(x)v(x)

dy/dx = u(dv/dx) + v(du/dx)

The Attempt at a Solution

my problem really boils down to rearranging the function to a form easy to manipulate so i'll show you how far I get and where I think I'm going wrong.

y = [itex]\frac{(√x - 1)}{√x}[/itex]

y = (x1/2-1)x-1/2

Here, I'm not sure whether the first bracket should read (x1/2-1) or (x-1)1/2.

Treating it as y = (x1/2-1)x-1/2 I can apply the product rule easily enough, but if I were to expand out those brackets I get y =[itex]1 - x^{-1/2}[/itex] which when I put into a graphing program is slightly different to the original...

I'm pretty sure I've treated the brackets in the original equation wrong with respect to the square root.

If you could help clear this up for me, that would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need only use the power rule here. Do you see why?

1. What is the product rule in mathematics?

The product rule is a formula used in calculus to find the derivative of a product of two functions. It states that the derivative of f(x)g(x) is equal to f'(x)g(x) + f(x)g'(x), where f'(x) and g'(x) are the derivatives of the functions f(x) and g(x) respectively.

2. When should the product rule be used?

The product rule should be used when taking the derivative of a product of two functions. This includes situations such as finding the instantaneous rate of change, optimization problems, and curve sketching.

3. How do you apply the product rule in practice?

To apply the product rule, first identify the two functions being multiplied together. Then, find the derivatives of each individual function. Finally, plug these values into the product rule formula to find the derivative of the product.

4. Are there any special cases when using the product rule?

Yes, there are a few special cases when using the product rule. One is when one of the functions is a constant, in which case the derivative of that function is 0 and the product rule simplifies to just the derivative of the other function. Another case is when the two functions are reciprocals of each other, in which case the product rule can be replaced by the quotient rule.

5. Can the product rule be used for more than two functions?

Yes, the product rule can be extended to more than two functions. For example, the derivative of f(x)g(x)h(x) would be f'(x)g(x)h(x) + f(x)g'(x)h(x) + f(x)g(x)h'(x). In general, the derivative of a product of n functions can be found using the product rule and the chain rule.