Which Shape Maximizes the Magnetic Field at the Center: Circle or Square?

In summary, the magnetic field at the center of a square loop with radius r is greater than that of a circle with the same radius because 4 > pi.
stunner5000pt
you are given a wire of length L and that carries a uniform current i through it.
the wire can bent into either a circle or a square
which shape gives the maximum magnetic field at its center?

for the circle
[tex] B = \frac{\mu_{0}}{4 \pi} \int \frac{i ds \cross r}{r^3} [/tex]
im not qutie sure about the s part since ds = L, riught? so ds is constant value... and so is R so we should get
[tex] B = \frac{\mu_{0} i}{4 \pi R^2} [/tex]
where [tex] R = \frac{L}{2 \pi} [/tex]
so [tex] B = \frac{\mu_{0} i \pi}{L^2} [/tex]

now for the squar

the problem is ds is a cosntant value, but r is not because it varies from s/2 to [itex] \frac{s}{\sqrt{2}} [/itex]
so what do i do? Can i use the square as an Amperian loop and solve it like so
[tex] B (s^2) = \mu_{0} i [/tex]
since 4S = L, s = L/4 so
[tex] B = \frac{16 \mu_{0} i}{L^2} [/tex]
thus the magnetic field at the center due to th square loop is greater becasue 4 > pi?

Also i am a bit confused as to when i use the Ampere's law and Biot Savart Law, can the Ampere's law be used for the above described situations or not?

Please help! Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Quick reference to http://maxwell.byu.edu/~spencerr/websumm122/node70.html

shows that the solution to the Biot-savart integral for a loop is

[tex] B = \frac{\mu_o I}{2R}[/tex]

Note that for the infinite wire, the solution is the same as that of Ampere's Law.

If you need to apply the integral to a square. You can do it once for one side then multiply by 4. I don't follow your method. Can you write out your integral limits more clearly.

Last edited by a moderator:
well for the square can i just use the equation for the finite wire of length L where d is the distance between teh point int eh center and wire, and multiply by 4?

the formula I am ean to use is [tex] B = \frac{\mu_{0} i}{4 \pi d} \frac{L}{\sqrt{\frac{L^2}{4} + d^2}}} [/tex]
would this yile dthe required answer
of course L in the formula does not mean the length of the wire

That formula does not look very familiar. Can you show the derivation?

its in my textbook and it would be fine if i used it i believe

Related to Which Shape Maximizes the Magnetic Field at the Center: Circle or Square?

1. What is the purpose of maximizing the magnetic field?

The purpose of maximizing the magnetic field is to increase the strength and efficiency of a magnetic field. This can have practical applications in various fields such as electromagnetism, electronics, and medical imaging.

2. How can the magnetic field be maximized?

The magnetic field can be maximized by using high-permeability materials, increasing the number of windings in a coil, and aligning the direction of the magnetic field with the direction of the magnetic particles. Additionally, adjusting the current and voltage in an electromagnet can also help maximize the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is affected by the current flowing through a wire, the number of windings in a coil, the permeability of the material, and the distance from the source of the magnetic field.

4. What are the practical applications of maximizing the magnetic field?

Maximizing the magnetic field has several practical applications, including improving the performance of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also essential in magnetic levitation technology, medical imaging, and particle accelerators.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with maximizing the magnetic field?

Yes, there can be potential risks associated with maximizing the magnetic field, such as the potential for electromagnetic interference with electronic devices and the risk of inducing currents in conductors, which can cause damage or interference. It is important to carefully consider and control the strength of the magnetic field in any application to avoid these risks.