Which Telescope is Best for Viewing Planets and Nebulae on a Budget in Wales?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Harry-Wales
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, the person lives in Wales, UK and is currently studying for their GCSE's. They are interested in astronomy and have asked their parents for a telescope for their upcoming birthday. They are looking for a telescope in the price range of £80-£120 that can see planets like Jupiter and Saturn, as well as star constellations, galaxies, and nebulae. They have received a suggestion to look for a small used refractor, but should not expect to see many deep sky objects in that price range.
Harry-Wales
I live in Wales, UK, I am doing my GCSE's now and I am really interested in astronomy, I've asked my parents for a telescope for my birthday in december, I am looking for one around £80-£120, i want one that can see planets like jupiter, saturn and maybe star constellations, galaxies or nebulae. Please reply on which you think i should get :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Harry-Wales said:
I live in Wales, UK, I am doing my GCSE's now and I am really interested in astronomy, I've asked my parents for a telescope for my birthday in december, I am looking for one around £80-£120, i want one that can see planets like jupiter, saturn and maybe star constellations, galaxies or nebulae. Please reply on which you think i should get :)

In that price range you aren't going to get much. However, you could find a small used refractor in that price range which will easily show you the brighter objects - the moon, jupiter, venus, saturn, mars... and some of the brighter deepsky objects.

However, don't expect more than the brightest of galaxies and nebula in any scope for that price range - unless you find some sort of amazing deal.

okay, thanks :)

Related to Which Telescope is Best for Viewing Planets and Nebulae on a Budget in Wales?

What Telescope Should I Get?

The decision to buy a telescope can be overwhelming, especially for beginners. Here are five frequently asked questions to help you make the best choice.

1. What is the best telescope for beginners?

For beginners, a refracting or reflecting telescope with a medium-sized aperture (around 4-6 inches) is recommended. These types of telescopes are easy to use and provide good views of the moon and planets. They are also relatively affordable compared to larger telescopes.

2. What is the difference between refracting and reflecting telescopes?

Refracting telescopes use lenses to gather and focus light, while reflecting telescopes use mirrors. Refracting telescopes tend to be more compact and easier to maintain, while reflecting telescopes are better for viewing faint objects in the sky.

3. How important is the aperture of a telescope?

The aperture, or the diameter of the telescope's primary lens or mirror, is crucial in determining the telescope's light-gathering ability. The larger the aperture, the more light the telescope can gather, resulting in brighter and clearer images. However, larger apertures also mean larger and more expensive telescopes.

4. Can I use a telescope for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing?

Yes, some telescopes are designed for both types of viewing. However, keep in mind that telescopes primarily designed for astronomical viewing may not have the necessary features for terrestrial viewing, such as a correct image orientation.

5. Do I need any additional accessories for my telescope?

Some telescopes come with all the necessary accessories, while others may require additional purchases. Common accessories include eyepieces, filters, and a tripod or mount. It's essential to research and consider what accessories you may need for your specific telescope and intended use.