Which type of image does a solar oven and search light produce?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
leehom
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Both use concave mirrors... however; I'm not sure which one produces a virtual image and which one produces a real image??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the actual question: Concave mirrors are used in searchlights and solar ovens. Draw two diagrams to show the path of light in each case.
 
I'm not sure I know the right answer, but I'd start by remembering that you can see the Bat Symbol on the clouds when using the Bat Searchlight in Gotham City. And you can't see the image of the sun that is formed at the focus of a solar oven.
 
leehom said:
Both use concave mirrors... however; I'm not sure which one produces a virtual image and which one produces a real image??

Heres a little hit:

Since a concave mirror can produce both real and virtual images. Surely the type of image produced has something to do with regards to how the object is located with respect to the focal point. One needs to ask the question; what are the distinguishing characteristics of these types of images.
 
Last edited:
So far, I've figured out that the object is placed at the focal point for the car headlight... and I'm guessing that the object in a solar oven would be beyond the centre of curvature
 
I'm thinking that the OP and I should stop guessing. Anybody got an optics textbook handy?