Which undergrad school should I choose: UCSB or PSU?

In summary, the cost of attending Penn State or USC is about the same, but the Penn State program offers more opportunities for scholarships and is less expensive overall. Penn State is also less expensive to live in.
ErectBaguette
I'm out of state for UCSB but I'm going to be in their CCS program, whereas I'm in state at Penn State but am currently on the waitlist for their honors program. Per year cost is 65k/year vs 25k/year. Neither will put us in debt, but obviously the former is quite a bit less comfortable. What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
ErectBaguette said:
I'm out of state for UCSB but I'm going to be in their CCS program, whereas I'm in state at Penn State but am currently on the waitlist for their honors program. Per year cost is 65k/year vs 25k/year. Neither will put us in debt, but obviously the former is quite a bit less comfortable. What should I do?
Santa Barbara is a fairly expensive place to live, as is much of So. Calif., especially along the coast. You have enough saved to afford a $65,000/year tuition?
Based on the cost differential, my own preference would be to stay where the tuition is appreciably less. Can you continue at Penn State without being in the honors program? Others might disagree, but honors vs. no honors is less of a determinant than GPA in your major courses.
What is CCS? I know CS, but CCS is a new one on me.

ErectBaguette said:
Have you been accepted to Penn State (regular) and waitlisted for honors, or have you been waitlisted for Penn State overall (any program)?

CrysPhys said:
Have you been accepted to Penn State (regular) and waitlisted for honors, or have you been waitlisted for Penn State overall (any program)?
Accepted regular, waitlisted honors haha

Mark44 said:
What is CCS? I know CS, but CCS is a new one on me.
College of Creative Studies

https://ccs.ucsb.edu

I'll throw my other choice in the mix here since I'm still looking for opinions - USC at 45k/year. Thoughts?

To the OP:

Since you have already been accepted to Penn State in the regular program, but waitlisted in the honors program, is it possible for you to transfer into the honors program at a later time?

(note: even though I live in Canada, I'm using the American spelling since I'm referring to US schools)

Presuming Physics Major.

There is not enough difference between the choices to justify a cost difference of $40k per year.

$45k/year for USC? Hard to recommend that for most students due to the debt loads likely involved.

ErectBaguette said:
Per year cost is 65k/year vs 25k/year.
That's only for the first year, right? After a year, you can establish residency in California and pay in-state costs.

vela said:
That's only for the first year, right? After a year, you can establish residency in California and pay in-state costs.
This varies on a state-by-state basis. For CA, see:

https://www.ucop.edu/residency/establishing-residency.html
Note in particular: "Virtually all nonresident undergraduates with nonresident parents remain nonresidents for the duration of their undergraduate career at UC."

<<Emphasis in original.>>

Dr. Courtney said:
Presuming Physics Major.

There is not enough difference between the choices to justify a cost difference of $40k per year.

$45k/year for USC? Hard to recommend that for most students due to the debt loads likely involved.
Even harder to imagine anyone paying $500,000 in bribes to get two kids admitted to USC. Sorry, couldn't resist.

CrysPhys said:
Note in particular: "Virtually all nonresident undergraduates with nonresident parents remain nonresidents for the duration of their undergraduate career at UC."
I'm surprised. I'd "disown" my parents/family to save $40k a year.

If you think you'll have time to leave campus, the UCSB is a much better choice than USC, IMO. Santa Barbara is one of the nicest places in the world to live (if you can afford it); central LA is not.

DaveE said:
Santa Barbara is one of the nicest places in the world to live (if you can afford it); central LA is not.
I alluded to the "if you can afford it" part earlier and was thinking at the time, that USC is not in a very nice part of LA.

Last edited:
DaveE said:
If you think you'll have time to leave campus, the UCSB is a much better choice than USC, IMO. Santa Barbara is one of the nicest places in the world to live (if you can afford it); central LA is not.
USC did seem rather lively though, and I'm not exactly bothered by the area. I probably even slightly prefer it to SB, but am I sacrificing odds of getting into a good grad school in doing so?

1. What are the academic programs offered at UCSB and PSU?

UCSB offers a wide range of undergraduate programs in fields such as engineering, social sciences, humanities, and natural sciences. PSU also offers a variety of undergraduate programs, including business, education, health sciences, and liberal arts.

2. Which school has a better reputation?

Both UCSB and PSU have strong reputations, but UCSB is consistently ranked higher in national and international rankings.

3. What is the student life like at UCSB and PSU?

UCSB is known for its vibrant student life, with a strong focus on outdoor activities and a lively social scene. PSU also has a diverse student body and offers a variety of extracurricular activities, but may have a more urban feel compared to UCSB.

4. What are the tuition and financial aid options at UCSB and PSU?

UCSB and PSU have similar tuition rates for in-state and out-of-state students. Both schools also offer financial aid and scholarship opportunities to help offset the cost of attendance.

5. Which school has a better location?

This ultimately depends on personal preference. UCSB is located in the coastal town of Santa Barbara, known for its beautiful beaches and outdoor activities. PSU is located in the city of Portland, offering a more urban environment with access to cultural attractions and outdoor recreation in the nearby mountains and forests.