How Do I Choose a New PhD Topic in Electrical Engineering?

• Thread starter khalidomy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Topic
In summary, the speaker has recently completed their MSc in electrical engineering and is now seeking help in choosing a topic for their PhD. They are considering changing their focus from solar cells to another area due to limited job opportunities in their country. They are interested in the transmission and distribution system, particularly in the coordination of planning and operations for maximum efficiency. They are also open to exploring topics related to the emerging technology of the Smart Grid. They have been advised to read the introductory article on the Smart Grid at Wikipedia to get ideas for potential research areas.
khalidomy
Who can help me :(

HELLO ..
I am Msc.Eng in electrical just finished my Msc and i want continua my P.hd but i am too confuse how i can choose my P.hd topic and which area .. my area in Msc was in solar cells .. but i want change it to other area because solar cells area is not that good to get job in the future.
could you help me?
thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org

Why are you thinking solar is not a good career path? It's a growing industry.

What other fields are you interested in?

thanks Mr. caffenta
i am looking for job with oil & gas companies .. and special in my country. there is no any support for solar cells area.
i am interesting in transmission & distribution system (High Voltage )...
i got topic but i am not sure is that ok as P.hd topic or not
"Coordination of Transmission and Distribution Planning and Operations to Maximize Efficiency in 400 kv lines "
could i get ur opinion ?

There certainly is a lot of activity right now in planning and implementing the "Smart Grid". Can you do your dissertation on some aspect of this emerging technology?

Mr.berkeman... could u suggest topic for me ?
thanks

khalidomy said:
Mr.berkeman... could u suggest topic for me ?
thanks

The introductory article on the Smart Grid at wikipedia.org is a good place to start your reading. That should show you some subjects and areas where you could certainly do some research and write a dissertation...

Thanks Mr. berkeman ..

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a P.hd topic and area?

When choosing a P.hd topic and area, it is important to consider your personal interests and strengths, the current state of research in your field, and the availability of resources and support for your chosen topic. It is also helpful to consult with your advisor or other experts in your field to get feedback and guidance.

2. How can I narrow down my options for a P.hd topic and area?

Narrowing down your options for a P.hd topic and area can be overwhelming, but one strategy is to start with broad topic areas and then gradually narrow down to more specific research questions. You can also consider conducting a literature review to identify gaps in current research that you can address with your own study.

3. Is it better to choose a P.hd topic that aligns with my career goals or my personal interests?

Ideally, your P.hd topic should align with both your career goals and personal interests. This will not only make the research process more enjoyable for you, but it will also demonstrate your passion and commitment to your chosen topic to potential employers or academic institutions.

4. How important is it to have a unique or original P.hd topic?

Having a unique or original P.hd topic can be beneficial, as it will contribute new knowledge to your field and make your research stand out. However, it is not always necessary to have a completely original topic; you can also build upon existing research and add your own unique perspective or approach.

5. How can I ensure that my chosen P.hd topic and area will be feasible for research?

To ensure that your chosen P.hd topic and area will be feasible for research, it is important to conduct a feasibility study. This involves assessing the availability of resources, potential challenges and limitations, and the potential impact and significance of your research. Consultation with your advisor or other experts in your field can also help you determine the feasibility of your chosen topic.