Why do Christmas lights glow green near a Tesla coil?

In summary, a high school student built a tesla coil for a physics class assignment and discovered that when holding Christmas lights near the coil, they would glow bright neon green instead of developing purple plasma streamers like other light bulbs. The student researched different spectra and gas types but could not find a definite answer. They also found that smaller oval-style light bulbs would also glow green, but larger, newer bulbs would not. A picture was provided and the RGB values of the green glow were analyzed to be around 555nm and 552nm, which corresponds to a yellow-green color. The student was advised to look at the NIST site for spectral lines around those wavelengths.
Willow Wanda

Homework Statement

For a high school physics class, I chose to build a tesla coil for a real world application assignment. I was able to build it fairly easily and it turned out great. Before presenting to the class next week, I've been seeing its effect on different types of light bulbs and other household objects (some of them can look pretty cool). Most of the (non cfl) light bulbs ended up looking like plasma balls (caused by the ionized argon gas inside them i think?), however, when i hold christmas lights (and a few other small similar bulbs) nearby, they glow green instead of developing the purple streamers inside. What causes this bright green glow instead of the purple plasma streamers like the other bulbs? I've tried to research it but i haven't had much luck. Does anyone have any ideas?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Maybe caused by atomic emission spectrum of some gas inside?
I googled different spectrum and had some trouble though - I couldn't find information on what type of gas was inside the bulb, and I couldn't find any commonish gas that emits the bright neonish green light (maybe xenon? I can't really tell)

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Thread re-opened. Thank you for your patience.

What kind of "Christmas lights" are these? Are they clear, or maybe they are green already? Are they incandescent? Did this happen when they are just loose bulbs, or only when they are connected to a wire string of bulbs?

any kind of christmas lights work (as well as a few older miscellaneous light bulbs that I've found in my basement - but they don't glow quite as bright). I've tried multiple brands and styles of white christmas lights (the small, clear, incandescent bulbs), and they all glow bright neon green in the presence of the high voltage. It works with both loose bulbs and strings of multiple bulbs

Last edited:
Incandescent lightbulbs are often charged with a low density inert gas (argon or nitrogen is typical) rather than trying to form and maintain a perfect vacuum.

Likes Willow Wanda and berkeman
major tom said:
and they all glow bright neon green in the presence of the high voltage.
That is a clue. The Northern Lights (aurora borealis) glow green and red/pink. https://www.google.com/search?&q=aurora+borealis

Although this site: http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-school/aurora-borealis/ says the Green is from Oxygen, not something you want in an incandescent lamp! So maybe this lead isn't so good after all. :frown:

Edit:
Or maybe it's an indication of leaky or cheaply made bulbs. Do larger new bulbs glow green or just old ones?

Likes Willow Wanda
The smaller oval style light bulbs glow as well, but I can't find anything larger than that size that produces the same effect. The light bulbs I've been using aren't ancient; they're probably around 5 years old and have never been used. I haven't seen it work with any of the new light bulbs (even those of similar size and shape) that I've just purchased (other than the strands of christmas lights), however, this may just be a coincidence.

I've attached a pictures if that helps- Sorry for the poor photo quality, the spark gap produces rapid flashes of light that make it hard for the camera to focus

Attachments

• IMG_2158.JPG
    IMG_2158.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 387
Yes, the picture helped. I sampled the Green in the image and got the following RGB values:
4C 5E 22
83 95 43
93 B3 52

Working with just the first and last sets, which were the dark and light areas, I normalized the numbers by:
subtracting the smallest (Blue) from the two other colors (to eliminate the Brightness variation),
convert to Decimal and normalize to 0-255 ( because a later step requires that; it also shows that the dark & light areas are close to the same color)
(4C 5E 22) - (0 0 22) = (2A 3C 0) to decimal-> (42 60 0) normalize-> RGB = (179 255 0)
(93 B3 52) - (0 0 52) = (41 61 0) to decimal -> (65 97 0) normalize-> RGB = (171 255 0)

From there, I used Spectra.exe (free download from http://www.efg2.com/Lab/ScienceAndEngineering/Spectra.htm) to match the RGB to Wavelength.
(179 255 0) = 555nm
(171 255 0) = 552nm
So look at the NIST (https://www.nist.gov/pml/atomic-spectra-database) site for spectral lines around those wavelengths.

Likes Willow Wanda
Thank you so much for your help!

Likes berkeman and Tom.G
Oh, and remember that your camera color rendition may be a little off so those measurements can't be considered absolute, just ballpark within your camera capabilities.

It has sure gotten me curious, please keep us updated.

Cheers
Tom

Likes Willow Wanda

1. Why do Christmas lights glow green near a Tesla coil?

Christmas lights glow green near a Tesla coil because of the phenomenon known as electromagnetic induction. The high frequency alternating current produced by the Tesla coil creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn induces an electric current in the metal wires of the Christmas lights. This electric current causes the lights to glow.

2. Can other colors of Christmas lights also glow near a Tesla coil?

Yes, other colors of Christmas lights can also glow near a Tesla coil. The color of the lights depends on the type of gas or phosphor used inside the bulbs. Green is a common color because it is produced by a combination of nitrogen and mercury inside the bulb.

3. Is it safe to have Christmas lights near a Tesla coil?

Yes, it is generally safe to have Christmas lights near a Tesla coil. The electric current induced in the lights is usually very low and poses no harm to humans. However, it is always important to exercise caution and follow safety guidelines when dealing with electricity.

4. Why do the Christmas lights only glow near the Tesla coil and not throughout the entire string of lights?

The Christmas lights only glow near the Tesla coil because the changing magnetic field is strongest near the coil. As the lights get further away from the coil, the strength of the magnetic field decreases and the induced current becomes weaker, resulting in the lights no longer glowing.

5. Can a Tesla coil be used as a power source for Christmas lights?

Technically, a Tesla coil can be used as a power source for Christmas lights. However, it is not a practical or efficient method as the amount of energy produced by a Tesla coil is relatively small and would not be enough to power a string of lights. It is mainly used as a demonstration of electromagnetic induction and not as a practical power source.