News Who do you think will be president first?

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date

Who will be president first?

• A woman

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • A member of an ethnic minority

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A member of a religious minority

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • A woman who's an ethnic minority

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • A woman who's a religious minority

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A member of a religious and ethnic minority

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • A woman who's a member of a religious and ethnic minority

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Just for anyone who might be interested, Ben Nighthorse Campbell is a Native American Republican Senator from Colarado, plus he's got a ponytail. He's also "the only Native American in the Senate, a renowned jewelry designer, former member of the U.S. Olympic judo team, and an avid motorcycle enthusiast. Received the U.S. Capitol Police Service Award for coming to the aid of an officer struggling with a violent felon. You try to filibuster this guy, he'll filibust you up." - http://www.zug.com/pranks/senator/senator_campbell.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Zaleski

Njorl said:
Has a black Republican won a statewide election since reconstruction?
I think the greater problem faced by black Republicans getting elected might not be whether they can get the white Republican vote, but can they inspire black Democrats to vote for them. I believe between 80 and 90 percent of all blacks are staunch Democrat and rarely cross party lines.

Njorl

Science Advisor
phatmonky said:
Here's an interesting article on the subject, from a right wing source catering to right wing voters.
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/6/22/15901.shtml

and another
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,89700,00.html

I'm telling you. You are listening to the racists too much, and discounting the possibility of having minorities vote GOP.

It's not that I listen to racists too much, it's that I hear them too much.

Njorl

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert Zaleski said:
I think the greater problem faced by black Republicans getting elected might not be whether they can get the white Republican vote, but can they inspire black Democrats to vote for them. I believe between 80 and 90 percent of all blacks are staunch Democrat and rarely cross party lines.

Democrat strategy has historically been - 40% of the white vote, 90% of the black vote.

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Njorl said:
First, many people did not know he was paralyzed. Many thought he was just weakened.

That is beside the point though. I'm talking about how TV has changed our culture. Image is everything. Elections are not about what you are, they are about how you might be portrayed. A handicapped person can be countersold more strongly than he could be sold.

Njorl
I'll just have to remain unconvinced. I think I'm the only one here who experienced the social dynamics around FDR and his debility (remember THe March of Dimes? Every schoolkid contributed a dime to the collection, in FDR's name). And everybody knew what polio does. Believe it! This was the era when parents wouldn't let their kids go to the swimming pool.

So I believe that dynamics, which has been dormant all these years, could be raised up if a really charismatic candidate with a handicap came along.
And the spin doctors for the opposition would lay off because every attempt to smear "Champion Joe who beat the Big P" as an incompetent cripple would come back to bite 'em.