Who is GWB to You? Impression of President Bush

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around various opinions and perceptions of President Bush as a person. Some see him as a well-intentioned but naive and aristocratic politician, while others view him as a failure with extreme religious and neoconservative views. There is also mention of his astrological chart and future predictions. Overall, there is a range of opinions and reactions to his leadership and policies.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What are your impressions of President Bush as a person? Obviously many people here are not Bush fans, but even for us it is possible to "hate" someone politically but to still respect them on a personal level. With this in mind, I am wondering about the range of perceptions to be found; both for and against.

My impressions [which really begins with his father and mother in the 70’s]:
I see GWB as a sort of dupe for the good-old-boy Republicans e.g. Nixon's old crowd. I think he is probably well intentioned; probably serving some idealized, aristocratic rationalization of God and Country and a "we know what's best for the little people" philosophy. I have always been struck by how little the Bush's seem to understand all of us little people. They [the father and son] both speak a sort of programmed, condescending, Orwellian Newspeak that reminds me of a bad Amway salesman, and it seems clear to me that the common good is best served in their eyes by preserving corporate budgets at all costs. Finally and most importantly, no matter what may happen, I have no doubt that those around the President will ensure that Bush always believes that he is doing the right thing; just as he is told. So I say he is a dupe, well intentioned, naïve, and a Texas aristocrat - an oilman.

Let them eat cake.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know him personally, I don't see what Blair sees in him, I don't really follow what he says, but obviously his military decisions cannot escape the blindest of us. Please vote him out, he does not seem intelligent enough to be the head of a super power.

All we need is someone who has a good heart and common sense. Why is that so hard to find?

uh, Polly, we ARE talking about Politicians here...

I see Bush as a wannabe Bush snr. for the war anyway. As a person i see him as someone who trys to get things right but is ultimately a failure. I'm not too hot on US politics but from the news here it always seems to be "Another Bush Blunder". It seems that he trys to do the right thing but goes the wrong way about it.

If anything he's become more extreme, i.e. early on he was hanging out with gay Log Cabin Republicans and even sounded somewhat moderate; had a "road map" for the mid east that included a palestinian state resolution & removing settlements. Now it's persecute the gays and holy war on islam, whatever rhetoric fits the neocon agenda.

schwarzchildradius said:
Now it's persecute the gays and holy war on islam, whatever rhetoric fits the neocon agenda.

You honestly believe that is his goal?

phatmonky said:

Check out the sentence structure on this one. The goal in this case is the neocon agenda, and yes...of course that is his goal, those are his people.

Astro chart GW BUSH

GW Bush as a person?

For those how are interested: I run his astro chart on my computer. Didn't change anything.

You can download the pdf-file http://www.mu6.com/bush/bush.pdf .

Additional personal interpretation about his Sun square Moon.
I see a serious lack of self-confidence (Sun square Moon). This first quarter of the Moon gives that all neutral remarks are percepted as a personal attack. It's an ego-centric position. Nerves are weak (need a lot of vacation, rest and naps :biggrin:). There is a black-and-white attitude/perception of the outside world caused by the internal conflict between the two poles (anima/animus). So the inside disharmony is projected in the outside world, also in an extreme religious attitude (God and Devil). For people with Moon in first quarter God is replaced by the Church, the Truth is replaced by Theory, Love is replaced by the Wish. Unhappy people.

His future (hum ... Nov 2004 ... :cool: )

I ran also his progression horoscoop for Nov 2004. Except for emotional problems (Moon square Mercure) not that bad ... but ... in Nov 2004 he fails.
From July 2004 he goes in nervous and emotional problems. Difficulties in verbal expression and confused ideas.
Sept and Oct: shaking position and very close to nerve breakdown (GW ... don't touch that red button!).
Nov 2004: lack of confidence (Sun square Moon) and sudden change of social position (Uranus opposite MC, and Sun opposite Asc.). John Kerry wins.

Maybe Kerrie of PF (not J. Kerry) can also make a chart and give here ideas. Are you somewhere Kerrie?

Last edited by a moderator:
Polly said:
All we need is someone who has a good heart and common sense. Why is that so hard to find?

I think Geo. W is closer to being this than any president I've ever seen. I think it's obvious that he's no rocket scientist, but I also think it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that bankrupting the country's biggest businesses is not in the country's best interest, that allowing Saddam to stay in power until the day after a chemical or bio-weapon attack wipes out ten or twenty thousand US citizens is about as wise as taking a "wait and see" attitude toward Bin Ladin, etc.

In a difficult global situation, I think he's done the best he could, and quite a bit better than the democratic party would. He seems to do what he says, far more than most politiciens.

Also, the Freedom Car Initiative and the return of the manned space program are two policies of which I am particularly fond.

Just my opinion (OK, back to the Bush-bashing, everyone! :biggrin: ).

phatmonky said:
You know, I really don't know what his goal is. I know what he says, and I know that he doesn't always say what he's really up to-- says more like the opposite of what he does in many cases. The bigger problem is what he doesn't do-- he doesn't keep any of the other forces tearing at the fabric of American and world culture in check, i.e. Halliburton etc: what Eisenhower termed the Military Industrial Complex. Doesn't stop people with half-baked plans like VVolfowitz's from dearly costing the military & taxpayers. He doesn't (or didn't) gather intelligence from both the CIA & FBI to prevent terrorist attacks. Where's the goal in that? It seems basically aimless & needlessly destructive even though it's lushly wrapped in Christian rhetoric.

LURCH said:
(OK, back to the Bush-bashing, everyone! :biggrin: ).

Thanks for chiming in Lurch [and Phatmonky]. I really didn't want this to be Bush bashing thread; at least not without some balance. Even I can see some good in the man and I can't stand the sight of him! Unlike Nixon, I don't see Bush as a devious person.

Ivan Seeking said:
Thanks for chiming in Lurch [and Phatmonky]. I really didn't want this to be Bush bashing thread; at least not without some balance. Even I can see some good in the man and I can't stand the sight of him! Unlike Nixon, I don't see Bush as a devious person.
Quite frankly, I don't think he's smart enough to be devious. Whether he wants to be or not, I'm not sure.

My impression of him is that he is of moderate intelligence, strong convictions, and high morality. The basic problem I see in him stems from the fact that his morality is stricter (don't confuse that with better) than average for the US.

I pretty much agree with your assessment, though I'm not sure if "dupe" is the word I would use.

russ_watters said:
though I'm not sure if "dupe" is the word I would use.

How do you view this aspect of the Bush Presidency?
[no I'm not trying to start a fight :biggrin: ]

I don't think GW is a Texas aristocrat. I live in Midland. He used to live here, once as a child, once as an adult. Admirers in town have bought the homes where he lived. Very modest indeed. The home the ex-President had is also being preserved, and it's modest, too. And Laura Bush's mama's house is a few blocks away from me, and is modest.

It's heresy to speak against the Bushes here. I don't think much of them. They are no friends to Midland, and Midland was very, very good to them.

BTW, some people make much of the fact he's supposedly religious, supposedly a born-again Christian. Well, you can sit in a chicken coop, but that don't make you a hen. People SAY things, doesn't mean they ARE what they say.

BTW^2, I thought this thread was going to be about the guy who owns PF. Aren't his initials the same? tee hee

Ivan Seeking said:
How do you view this aspect of the Bush Presidency?
[no I'm not trying to start a fight :biggrin: ]
A dupe is someone easily tricked. Since I (and most others, I think) believe Bush wanted to take down Saddam before he was even elected, there wouldn't have been any point in anyone tricking him - unless you mean he dupes himself, which I could see.

russ_watters said:
A dupe is someone easily tricked. Since I (and most others, I think) believe Bush wanted to take down Saddam before he was even elected, there wouldn't have been any point in anyone tricking him - unless you mean he dupes himself, which I could see.

So you feel that Bush really is "his own man"? You don't feel that Cheney or Bush Sr. have a large influence on what happens?

jimmy p said:
uh, Polly, we ARE talking about Politicians here...

:biggrin: Sorry, I was suddenly overcome by a colossal urge to spew, I mean to express myself. I did realize the lack of depth in my statement but thought I would take advantage of the word "impressions" anyway :biggrin: .

Has anyone read the horoscope that Pelastralion posted? It hits him like a cowpie hits a Texan . I do not have anything against Texans...But, He Has To go..I'm thinking of going to Canada if he gets in again, that is if he decides to leave Canada alone! Who do you think will be next? Iran? North Korea? I think Iran because he was just trying to get it right with Iraq ( which he didn't) But Iran will be next.. What made him G.O.D?
We can't spread democracy across the globe we can't even clean the water and the air here in the US of A

Ivan Seeking said:
So you feel that Bush really is "his own man"? You don't feel that Cheney or Bush Sr. have a large influence on what happens?

I myself do believe that Cheney is somewhat the guy orchestrating everything. He is by far the most hawkish guy in the white house and he's Bush's right hand man (read: puppet master). Its like when the US was negotiating with the UN about the Iraq war, they seem so cuddly and so cooperative at first, but once Bush got rid of the more conservative advisors and replaced them with neo-cons, all the sh*it started spewing out.

Its apparent that Bush has little mind of his own. And he is, in my opinion, very dumb. Like what Kerry said, a president should be able to multi-task, that being that he is able to handle both the economy and the war on terror, I believe that Bush possesses such a narrow world-view that he fought the war on terror on such a narrow scope.

I don't think that terrorism can be uprooted by using guns and bombs alone, and that's the only thing Bush seems capable of, war. His intellect obviously can't seem to be able to handle other more peaceful, albeit. more complicated actions. Steps can be done to infiltrate the political rungs of more hardline governments, and incite reform. Psycological warfare can also be waged among the ordinary arabs, to counter fundamentalist ideology.

It seems easier to use a gun, after all, dumb people usually have a "shoot first, talk later" mentality. Can't be helped.

I think Bush is the icon for the baby boomers influenced heavily by the remnants of fear left by what the cold war induced. The problem I have with the whole Bush Admin is the fear tatics they use to propragate the generally dumb American into thinking we are the ones under attack. While 9/11 was a certain attack on us, I sometimes wonder how much info the Bush Admin had about the Al Queda's intent prior to this horrific event. And what amazes me is the fact that New York itself voted in Kerry during the election over Bush. Obviously those closest to one of America's most violent terror attack geographically didn't feel confident enough in Bush to vote him as President again.

Clinton didn't seem to address terrorism at all, and there were many more terrorist attacks during his time. I remember how many terrorist attacks we had on American soil from 1993-1999. Those include the Oklahoma City bombing by an American himself. While the Bush Admin has addressed our security quite well, his use of the fear tatics (I.E. Patriot Act) will continue to drive a stake through the middle of our country. It would be nice to have a President/Administration who truly stood in the middle and could balance the needs and rights of everyone.

I think Bush does not relate to the common people who struggle with everyday issues. When you grow up that rich, you lose touch with what day to day realities bring you.

Holy resurrected thread, Batman! But, I guess its apro pos... To rehash:
Ivan Seeking said:
So I say he is a dupe, well intentioned, naïve, and a Texas aristocrat - an oilman.
I pretty much agree. So why did I vote for him...?

Last edited:

1. Who is GWB?

GWB stands for George W. Bush, who served as the 43rd President of the United States from 2001 to 2009.

2. What is your impression of President Bush?

As a scientist, I do not have a personal or political opinion about President Bush. However, I can objectively say that during his presidency, he implemented policies such as the No Child Left Behind Act and the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act, and faced challenges such as the September 11 attacks and the Great Recession.

3. How did President Bush impact the United States?

During his presidency, President Bush's policies and actions had a significant impact on the United States. Some of the key issues he addressed include education, healthcare, national security, and the economy. He also made significant changes to the federal government, including the creation of the Department of Homeland Security.

4. What were some of President Bush's successes and failures?

President Bush's successes during his presidency include the passage of the No Child Left Behind Act, which aimed to improve education in the United States, and the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act, which provided prescription drug coverage to seniors. His failures include the handling of Hurricane Katrina and the ongoing conflict in Iraq.

5. How does President Bush's legacy continue to impact the United States today?

President Bush's legacy is still being debated today. Some argue that his policies and actions, such as the invasion of Iraq and the Patriot Act, have had long-lasting negative effects on the country. Others credit him for his efforts to combat HIV/AIDS and his support for immigration reform. Ultimately, his legacy continues to shape the political landscape and policies of the United States today.