Who is your favorite SciFi character?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scifi
In summary, my favorite SciFi character is Spock. I also like G'Kar, Nightcrawler, and the Seventh Doctor from the New Adventures series of books. My favorite SciFi character of all time is Futarama's Bender.
Favorite SciFi character

One older one is Dominic Flandry from Poul Anderson's Terran Empire series. More recently is Honor Harrington(and some of her companions) in David Weber's series of about 18 novels and novellas. A movie is planned but Weber is picky about the star role.
If you like military science fiction, this won't disappoint you. √

Physics news on Phys.org
Tony Stark (IRONMAN).
Because HE is genius and
can be real.

"The Mekon" ruler of the Treens. Mekon is a little green rascal who used to float around on a saucer. Dan Dare pilot of the future sorted him out and now he works in a fish shop.

Spock for sure.

He was one of the first benign extraterrestrial. Other benign extraterrestrials I have listed before Spock include:

1939 - Superman - Clark Kent

Another benign extraterrestrial:

Mr. Carpenter ( Michael Rennie in The Day the Earth Stood Still 1950's).

My brother pointed out an interesting analogy.

He suggested the character in Star Trek are like the characters in Gunsmoke

Capt Kirk - Matt Dillon
Spock - Deputy Festus
Dr. McCoy - Doc Adams

Except in Gunsmoke, the sensible character is Doc Adams where Dr. McCoy is impulsive.
In Star Trek, the more sensible character is Spock and Festus is the impulsive one.
Any thoughts. Did he push the analogy too far

Spock for sure.

He was one of the first benign extraterrestrial. Other benign extraterrestrials I have listed before Spock include:

1939 - Superman - Clark Kent

For me, it has to be Dr. Bashir from Deep Space 9. Only due to the fact, he is good at his job, but a dunce when it comes to interaction with people and normal life. I feel a similarity with him. Ha.

So many Spock mentions on here... Mind you, what should I expect?!

Noys Lambent.

Helen only launched a 1000 ships.

Noys came all the way from the 482nd century to keep time travel from being invented in the 24th century... and to give us nuclear war in the 20th century that would lead to space travel and the Galactic Empire.

Spock (which is logical)
also i like the green lantern because he can make anything using his mind

Mighty mouse was from Pluto

I'd have to say Q from Star Trek TNG, DS9 and VOY.
I think he's just overall a very nice addition to the series and I think John de Lancie did a great job portraying Q's personality.

favorite sci-fi character

On TV, Spock has got to rate high. In movies, I liked the lead scientist in the Andromeda strain. Forget his name right now. In print there are so many to choose from. Captain, later Admiral, Dominic Flandry, Admiral Honor Harrington, several characters from the collaboration of Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

The book the Andromeda Strain by Crichton, the lead scientist is Jeremy Stone. Yes he is a memorable character.

The first movie the Andromeda Strain (circa 1972), Leavitt was changed from a male in the book to a woman scientist. The movie is never as good as the book.

I never saw the second movie.

Come to think of it, another character from "science fiction" although it is really not futuristic is from the book airframe by Michael Creighton. You can't help but admire Katherine (Casey) Singleton. Marek from Timeframe is also memorable

Ummon from the Hyperion Cantos

Takeshi Kovacs from Altered Carbon

Joan (the fusion of Johann and Eunice) from I Will Fear No Evil by Heinlein

Leto II from Dune

Salvador Hardin (Foundation - Issac Asimov)

ASmc2 said:
Hari Seldon. HE CAN SEE THE FUTURE USING MATH. YES, HE DOES SO THROUGH STATISTICAL ANALYSIS APPLIED TO LARGE POPULATIONS, BUT HE CAN STILL PREDICT WHAT THE GROUP WILL DO TO A SINGLE PERSON. HE IS AWESOME.

YES! Someone else that loves him, although I do like Salvador hardin and the other guy who solved the third crises... ;)

Favorite campy characters from low-budget sci-fi

Eros the alien from "Plan Nine from Outer Space" -- particularly the solarmanyte scene. "... your stupid minds! stupid! stupid!"

Ro-man from "Robot Monster" -- wielder of the deadly calcinator death ray and of the not-so-deadly bubble machine (?!)

Fangar from "Jonny Sokko and His Giant Robot" -- an evil character who might have turned out differently if he had access to orthodontia as a young man...
No videos :(

Lazarus Long.
Unspiek Baron Bodissey
Han Solo
Skua September

This is a hard one, too many to list, possibly:

Deckard - Blade Runnder
Kaneda - Akira
Dr. Nicolas Rush - Stargate Universe
Ender Wiggin - Ender's Game
Shua - Wonderful Days/Sky Blue

HallsofIvy said:
(Has anyone calculated the the age difference between Anakin and Amidala? She's at least ten years older than he is.)

And she still doesn't meet that older, experienced woman criteria does she?

Last edited by a moderator:
Emma DeLauro
Carlos Fonnegra
Kiera Cameron
John Shepherd
Maya Heartwell

George Costanza.

Damn, who could forget Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly!

Isn't it obvious? :woot: Spaceman Spiff! :biggrin:

Likes Glenstr
Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory !

Arthur Dent from hitch hiker's guide to galaxy, I'm not sure if that qualifies as sci-fi though.

Anyone care to guess mine? :oldeyes:

Borg said:
Lenara Kahn?

Quantum Defect said:
Favorite campy characters from low-budget sci-fi

Eros the alien from "Plan Nine from Outer Space" -- particularly the solarmanyte scene. "... your stupid minds! stupid! stupid!"

Ro-man from "Robot Monster" -- wielder of the deadly calcinator death ray and of the not-so-deadly bubble machine (?!)

Fangar from "Jonny Sokko and His Giant Robot" -- an evil character who might have turned out differently if he had access to orthodontia as a young man...
No videos :(

I remember Robot Monster. Really weird movie.

As a 10 year old, I was terrified by James Arness as The Thing.

Chet

Likes Imager
Borg said:

Rin tin tin

Last edited by a moderator:
Khatti said:
Rin tin tin
Woof :oldtongue:

My favorites are Spock and Dr. Who

<h2>1. Who is your favorite SciFi character?</h2><p>This is a difficult question for me to answer as a scientist, as my personal opinions and preferences do not have any bearing on my work. However, if I had to choose, I would say that my favorite SciFi character is <em>[insert character name]</em>.</p><h2>2. Why is [character name] your favorite?</h2><p>Again, my personal opinions do not influence my work as a scientist. However, I am drawn to [character name] because of their intelligence, bravery, and complex moral code.</p><h2>3. What makes a good SciFi character?</h2><p>In my opinion, a good SciFi character is one that is multidimensional and relatable, while also being unique and thought-provoking. They should have a well-developed backstory and motivations, and their actions should drive the plot forward.</p><h2>4. How do you think SciFi characters impact society?</h2><p>SciFi characters can have a significant impact on society by challenging our perceptions and beliefs, pushing the boundaries of what is considered possible, and inspiring us to imagine and create a better future. They can also serve as role models and sources of inspiration for individuals and communities.</p><h2>5. Do you think it's important for scientists to have a favorite SciFi character?</h2><p>No, I do not believe it is necessary for scientists to have a favorite SciFi character. Our work is based on evidence and research, not personal opinions or preferences. However, being familiar with SciFi and its characters can help us to think outside the box and imagine new possibilities. </p>

1. Who is your favorite SciFi character?

This is a difficult question for me to answer as a scientist, as my personal opinions and preferences do not have any bearing on my work. However, if I had to choose, I would say that my favorite SciFi character is [insert character name].

2. Why is [character name] your favorite?

Again, my personal opinions do not influence my work as a scientist. However, I am drawn to [character name] because of their intelligence, bravery, and complex moral code.

3. What makes a good SciFi character?

In my opinion, a good SciFi character is one that is multidimensional and relatable, while also being unique and thought-provoking. They should have a well-developed backstory and motivations, and their actions should drive the plot forward.

4. How do you think SciFi characters impact society?

SciFi characters can have a significant impact on society by challenging our perceptions and beliefs, pushing the boundaries of what is considered possible, and inspiring us to imagine and create a better future. They can also serve as role models and sources of inspiration for individuals and communities.

5. Do you think it's important for scientists to have a favorite SciFi character?

No, I do not believe it is necessary for scientists to have a favorite SciFi character. Our work is based on evidence and research, not personal opinions or preferences. However, being familiar with SciFi and its characters can help us to think outside the box and imagine new possibilities.