Who Can Help Me Customize My New MySpace Page?

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
In summary: Hehehe, if you mean the models, i know a couple of them like 5. The rest just start adding you because they are friends of friends and whatnot...
Moonbear said:
Really? I don't know what I have set. Maybe that's why nobody wants to be my friend there. :cry: I'll have to figure out how to allow people to request to be my friend.

It was weird - it asked me to provide either your email address or last name and then there was also the "type in the letters shown in the picture" requirement. I've never come across that before.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
Don't you need to use a .edu address to use facebook?
Nope.. facebook is open to all now!

Math Is Hard said:
It was weird - it asked me to provide either your email address or last name and then there was also the "type in the letters shown in the picture" requirement. I've never come across that before.

I found that. I thought it meant the person sending the request had to send a last name...I figured when I get some random friend request from "Jane" it would require they tell me which Jane they are so I have a clue who I'm allowing in. I unchecked that figuring that if I'm going to let in online friends, they might not all want to share last names either. I left the type letters shown in picture thing just to avoid the random spammers a bit. We'll see if that works. Not all of the options are easy to find/edit nor are they always self-explanatory what exactly that feature does when you choose it. I find it kind of hard to navigate around the site.

cristo said:
Nope.. facebook is open to all now!

I didn't know that. Eh, I have a little time to play now, maybe I'll go set up one there too if that's where the party's at.

Tom Mattson said:
What does it do?

It automatically gets you barred for life from myspace :smile:

How do you get your last name to not show up on Facebook? I'm not going to use it if I have to show my full name to everyone on it.

Moonbear said:
How do you get your last name to not show up on Facebook? I'm not going to use it if I have to show my full name to everyone on it.
Why put up your real name? Just put up 'Moon Bear'.

Math Is Hard said:
...and then there was also the "type in the letters shown in the picture" requirement. I've never come across that before.
You're never come across one of these before? They're as common as smileys!

DaveC426913 said:
Why put up your real name? Just put up 'Moon Bear'.

So there's no way to change it once you've created the account? When I was registering, I didn't realize that the name I put in would be shown on the account, I thought it was just for registration and then I could modify the name that was actually visible, like I did with MySpace. I guess I could create another account with a different email address. Are the site owners clueless about internet security to think everyone will want to use their full name?

DaveC426913 said:
You're never come across one of these before? They're as common as smileys!

No, I meant the fact that this was combined with a secondary requirement.

Moonbear said:
So there's no way to change it once you've created the account? When I was registering, I didn't realize that the name I put in would be shown on the account, I thought it was just for registration and then I could modify the name that was actually visible, like I did with MySpace. I guess I could create another account with a different email address. Are the site owners clueless about internet security to think everyone will want to use their full name?

Just having your name and a picture of you isn't going to do anything. Plus, I used my schoo email, you do NOT get ANY spam from facebook, EVER. They only send you a notification if someone wrote on your wall, or sent you a message. If you don't use your school email, you won't be able to access your school network (i.e. all other people at your school won't be able to view your profile).

There is a way to change the name that shows up, Ill have to look into it for you.

Cyrus said:
Just having your name and a picture of you isn't going to do anything.
With all the crackpots we ban here, I don't want an account that can be tied to my real name. We've had mentors run into problems with irate crackpots before. I'd enjoy joining the PF group on Facebook, but won't do so if it means having my full name appear attached to my username here (I'm not worried the other way around...the people who know me in real life know I post here and there isn't anything I post that I would want to hide, more that I don't want any wackos to trace me from here to my real life identity where they could cause trouble).

If you don't use your school email, you won't be able to access your school network (i.e. all other people at your school won't be able to view your profile).
Well, that hardly matters to me, since I'm not a student.

There is a way to change the name that shows up, Ill have to look into it for you.
There's a place for a name change, but it says they review name changes, so now that I've posted my real name, I doubt they'd approve a nickname. I guess I could just try it and see if they really check. Worse that happens, they deny it.

You can make it so that no one can search your profile, ever. If you use your .edu email, only people in your network, i.e. with .wvu.edu accounts, can view your profile, and even then you can cut them off if you want.

Im sure they will change it. I know one guy who has 'cash money' as his name.

Last edited:
Whenever I feel like I want to see somebody's myspace account I always just insert their url in Google and view the Cached page. Google is the all-seeing eye.

Cyrus said:
You can make it so that no one can search your profile, ever. If you use your .edu email, only people in your network, i.e. with .wvu.edu accounts, can view your profile, and even then you can cut them off if you want.

Im sure they will change it. I know one guy who has 'cash money' as his name.

Yeah, but can't people still see me in other people's friends lists? For example, if I have you as a friend, and you let people see everything on your profile without even being a friend, couldn't someone who knows us both from PF go to your profile and find my name in your friends list? Someone really trying to make trouble could then trace me to my real name. I'm not worried about them showing up on Facebook and posting silly things there, I'm worried about someone deciding to make trouble for me at work because of what I do with my free time, or having some unstable crackpot harass me in person.

Meh, if I can't change it, I'll just start over with a different account and use a fake name. I can make my last name Smith and they'll never know.

Moonbear Smith?:rofl::rofl::rofl: Naa no one will ever know.

FaceBook

Guys,

I just signed up to Facebook and i joined the Physics Forums Group. I would say : let the "poking" begin :)

If anybody want to know my profile just let me know !

ciao

marlon

Added marlon.

Cool! PF hits Facebook then, hehe

Okay, I created a Moon Bear account on Facebook, and FINALLY found the PF group on there, but now what? I don't know who's who on there either other than the few people I already know. Blech, I don't think I like that site at all. What are you supposed to do with it?

Moonbear said:
What are you supposed to do with it?

I think its mainly used for poking people.

Is there a way to block pokes? I mean, what's the point of setting all the privacy settings if someone can still see everything in your profile by poking you?

Moonbear said:
Is there a way to block pokes? I mean, what's the point of setting all the privacy settings if someone can still see everything in your profile by poking you?

Don't know. Never really used facebook. :redface:

Last edited:
Tom Mattson said:
I've just started a MySpace account, and I was wondering if you technically savvy people wanted to help me. Here's the URL:

I made a tiling background for mine, see if you like it. You can't have my pic, but you could put a cool physics related photo (or anything else). Let me know if you are interested.

http://http://www.myspace.com/cindertomatopaste"

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you don't get just any layouts and change your password every once in a while. Some arsehole hacked my account and put a keylogger on it. It's sent out at least on meassage advertising ringtones. Off to change my pass (fixes the problem)

Moonbear said:

I don't think you can block pokes, but you can limit the amount of your profile someone can see when they poke you. Click on "privacy" in the top right, then click on the "edit settings" button next to "poke, message and friend request."

Alright you Facebookers, go on and git! This is about my MySpace page! :grumpy:

OK, what I want to do now is:

1.) Get some music on there. I want a player with a songlist.

2.) Set up some wallpaper.

Little help?

Tom Mattson said:
Alright you Facebookers, go on and git! This is about my MySpace page! :grumpy:

OK, what I want to do now is:

1.) Get some music on there. I want a player with a songlist.
I don't know how to help with this, because I don't know how to do that either. I've only seen a single song playing. I'd love to have it automatically shuffle through a selection of songs.

2.) Set up some wallpaper.

Little help?

I know I changed mine, so it can't be too hard, but I don't remember what I did. Nothing seems very easy to navigate, and when I stumble across a way to do something, I can't always find it a second time. I think it was something on the homepage that let you change the background (I don't have actual wallpaper so much as I've changed all the color schemes...I think wallpaper itself you need to add code to do, and the best way to get that is to google for Myspace wallpaper or themes or something like that, and choose something someone else made already if you don't know how to write the code yourself).

cristo said:
I don't think you can block pokes, but you can limit the amount of your profile someone can see when they poke you. Click on "privacy" in the top right, then click on the "edit settings" button next to "poke, message and friend request."

Oh, I played with that already, but you can't limit enough for my taste. I think I'll stick with Myspace. I don't like the way Facebook works. I don't have enough control over what is visible and who sees it. For example, EVERYTHING is visible to friends. On Myspace, I can write blog entries that aren't visible to anyone but me if I want to (I don't really want to, but it's just an example).

Moonbear said:
Oh, I played with that already, but you can't limit enough for my taste. I think I'll stick with Myspace. I don't like the way Facebook works. I don't have enough control over what is visible and who sees it. For example, EVERYTHING is visible to friends. On Myspace, I can write blog entries that aren't visible to anyone but me if I want to (I don't really want to, but it's just an example).

Actually Moonbear, you can make a limited profile in your facebook privacy settings and select who would see your limited profile. The limited profile is a special profile where you select what is visible.

ranger said:
Actually Moonbear, you can make a limited profile in your facebook privacy settings and select who would see your limited profile. The limited profile is a special profile where you select what is visible.

I looked at that, and not everything is changeable. I still don't like the way they display names. So, now I have a Moon Bear account there, which means the PFers will know who I am (I looked through the PF Group there, and what good does it do? Everyone has their real names here, and I have no clue which of those match the nicknames I know here.), but then the people who know me in real life won't have a clue who this Moon Bear person is contacting them. I'd prefer to be able to just use my first name only for display purposes, but there's no option at all for that. So, create two accounts for two different groups of contacts? On MySpace, those who don't know my real name know my cat's name, and I used her name as my URL, so whether I know someone in real life or online, they all know who I am when I request adding them as a friend. So, yeah, I'm not thrilled with Facebook and think I'll just forget it.

I think you have to be registered as a band to have more than one song. But to add a song you go to your bands web page and click on the add link next to the song.

Moonbear said:
I looked at that, and not everything is changeable. I still don't like the way they display names. So, now I have a Moon Bear account there, which means the PFers will know who I am (I looked through the PF Group there, and what good does it do? Everyone has their real names here, and I have no clue which of those match the nicknames I know here.), but then the people who know me in real life won't have a clue who this Moon Bear person is contacting them. I'd prefer to be able to just use my first name only for display purposes, but there's no option at all for that. So, create two accounts for two different groups of contacts? On MySpace, those who don't know my real name know my cat's name, and I used her name as my URL, so whether I know someone in real life or online, they all know who I am when I request adding them as a friend. So, yeah, I'm not thrilled with Facebook and think I'll just forget it.

Yea it is hard to match names on the facebook PF user group. But when I add someone, I usually send them a PM to let them know who I am. This is of course assuming that I know who I'm trying to add in the first place.

I'm not sure I understand your dilemma about the name thing. Facebook does allow the option to change your name, but this changes both your profile and display name. Hey, you don't even have to use your real name.

ranger said:
Y
I'm not sure I understand your dilemma about the name thing. Facebook does allow the option to change your name, but this changes both your profile and display name. Hey, you don't even have to use your real name.

You can't just leave out a last name. I had tried it that way, just using my first name only, and it was rejected, telling me I had to use a full name. That's when I resorted to Moon Bear on a different account. So, if I use Moon Bear and sign up for local networks, nobody there has a clue who this strange person is named Moon. But, if I use my real name, then any wack job on one of those networks who likes something in my profile need do nothing more than pick up the whitepages to have my home phone number and address. I'm only giving my full name to people I trust, and the way those sites are set up, you can add people as friends who you might not trust so well (there's no option to add someone as an "acquaintance" rather than "friend").

I guess that's just not for me. I mean, I just tested it out to see, and was able to find several of my students on Facebook and all the people they have listed as friends, and what networks they've joined, etc. That's just plain stupid to have your full real name listed like that where anyone could find you and look up so much about you. I don't exactly want my students to have access to who I'm friends with outside the workplace or what I do with my free time.

OK, to get music here's what you do. Click on Music in the top row of links. Then type in a keyword (i.e. Nirvana) then pick out of the list the musician. It'll take you to their page and then their player will show up with songs beneath it. There will be links like "comment" "add" "download" and I think "rate". Click add and it will be pretty straight forward. You can only have one song at a time. Also, artists don't always put all of there songs, and often its less than 5 or so.