Who's sick of seeing all those flags everywhere?

• News
  • Thread starter halfdyke
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about people who have flags displayed on their houses, cars, etc. and the reasons behind it. Some feel it is a show of patriotism and unity, while others see it as just wanting to fit in with the crowd. Some also express concerns about the racial bias this may instigate. There is also a discussion about the soldiers and their sacrifices, and different views on the meaning and importance of flags as symbols.

sick and tired of all the flags everywhere?

• Yes, I'm sick of them

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No, I have flags everywhere too

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I'm a moron and have no clue whatsoever

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok to add to this thread subject, I'm also sick and tired of all those stupid bumper stickers with dumbass slogans like "these colors don't run" and the perennial favorites, "god bless america" and "united we stand." give it a rest folks, we get the point
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see anything bad about these. In my opinion it is better to remember september 11th and all the fighting that has happened since then. If we forget we will be in the same situation we were in September 10th, 2001. Not a care in the world and forgetting what the country stands for. At least now we ARE united and can at least show the world where the United States gets its name and what it stands for.

quote:
Perhaps this became a practical matter? At some point it could be dangerous. Other such limits apply to commercial ventures as well. For example, service stations on highways used to put up signs the height of Redwood trees. Limits were set, really due to eyesore complaints I think.

Yes I could see a problem in that case but this flag pole wasnt even close to that large. And like I believe I said, there were no complaints and quite a few people took a liking to the flag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
America isn't 'united' in the way people would like to believe, and putting an untruth on a bumper sticker doesn't make it true.

Originally posted by russ_watters
What was the basis for claiming it was racist?

Sorry for not replying ealier, i think that the only people that complained where a small group of ethnic minorities don't know why but somehow they claimed it was racist, and because this countries government is so spineless they banned the flag claiming that they didnt want to cause any tension between the communities i can understand them not wanting to create tension between the communities but if this is so why do they allow the Ethnic groups to put up their flags in windows and always have their different religions and beleives chucked in our (the english) face.

I do hope you all believe me when i say i am not racist, i have had many friends who are from an ethnic background, but i am sick to death of the ethnic communities doing what they want and then calling it racism whenever they are told that they can't do something.

America isn't 'united' in the way people would like to believe, and putting an untruth on a bumper sticker doesn't make it true.

Really. How do you come to that conclusion? A few years ago I might agree with that however, times have changed and although recently things have gotten a bit rocky with this Democrat vs Republican business, I don't see a "Civil War II" coming up, and I see things improved from where they were before september 11th so, I think we can at least look at that as a sign of unity.

Originally posted by Andy
I do hope you all believe me when i say i am not racist...
Don't sweat it, I'm not that short sighted.

There is a case in New Jersey (ugh) right now where a community organization (a group of rich people living near each other) is trying to make a guy take down a POW/MIA flag he has hanging under an American flag in his front yard. Ugh.

I actually really like seeing the american flag everywhere.. and it was already everywhere before 9/11 so I don't think it was mainly that event that caused the trend.

The only thing I really DONT like is how Americans are abusing the Dutch flag! Everywhere I can see the Dutch flag hanging out, mainly at small businesses for decoration.. for those who don't know: the dutch flag is horizontally striped red white and blue. Somehow it is adopted as a simplified American flag.. not right, at all.

I actually really like seeing the american flag everywhere.. and it was already everywhere before 9/11 so I don't think it was mainly that event that caused the trend.

There weren't that many flags up before 9/11... not where I live. Most came up after 9/11. Just in case you are wondering, I live in New York.

Oh, I haven't been in NY since that time..

Originally posted by Windy
If you ever become ashamed of people hanging out flags, then you should leave the US if you have not done so already.

Patriotism is a vital part of any country that wishes to be stable.

Uh...ok, what does a piece of cloth have to do with being a good citizen?

So no comments on Americans abusing or misusing the Dutch flag huh?

Does anyone have a number where I can reach Mr President? I guess I'll have to go a level higher if I want to make a difference.. or just manually start taking down all those flags

So no comments on Americans abusing or misusing the Dutch flag huh?

Monigue I agree with you, but abusing is the wrong word, you should just leave it at misusing. I think abusing would be if people started destroying flags. So yes, misusing is the right word.

Originally posted by Monique
So no comments on Americans misusing the Dutch flag huh?

Does anyone have a number where I can reach Mr President? I guess I'll have to go a level higher if I want to make a difference.. or just manually start taking down all those flags

*edit* misusing

Originally posted by Monique
*So no comments on Americans misusing the Dutch flag huh?

You know, Monique, I have never seen the dutch flag used in the manner you described. Maybe, I've just not noticed because it's never been pointed out to me, but really, I can't recall seeing it. I'll have to ask my very Dutch sister-n-law if she's seen this. At any rate, I highly doubt that people who do use it in this manner even realize it's the dutch flag...hmmm..a whole nother bucket of worms.

Well, they are everywhere. The flag is used for promotional purposes, a short search on the internet for promotional companies selling flags:

http://www.promotional-products.cc/images/flags.gif
http://www.dismar.com/images/PFL001-00s.jpg
http://www.dismar.com/images/PFL178-00s.jpg

And for comparison the dutch flag (very similar to the Luxembourg flag):

http://home-2.tiscali.nl/~cb008513/reizen/img-reizen/vlaggen/nederland-vlag.jpg

from website:

http://home-2.tiscali.nl/~cb008513/reizen/reizen.htm

One of my friends was actually very excited last weekend when we were driving on the freeway and passed by a 'yard' full of sculptures for sale when he saw the flag in the first image all over the place and said: Monique! Those people must be from your country! I visited an art-fair the week before and also encountered the same phenomenon, as well on previous occasions.

Oh, have you been to a car dealer lately? They must buy those flags in bulk..

OK, this website is a REALLY GOOD EXAMPLE of flag abuse:
http://www.qualityflags.com/qf_dept.asp?Cat%5FID=85&web%5Fname=Promotional&MSCSProfile=3C79F0C7EA3162B289A6F3317CC124D84BB12F00F1070B0A7B40A96A960A8B4DBEF2138464EF4B52B0AFB7BD066621EE7C102D093D64E4F25FA6D23A7035591E6FA7AF64FB45AADB0B6D4CBF0B95D0BB208ED396914231B00D96165F7340A212E483968299EE659130FA5AAF7D5903E8CE94331937BB4D4793E4A510C0EE03817B6B6A136C6D21FC

I can understand some of the flags, for instance an Italian flag for pizza, or some of the flags with the native language on it, which can be used for natives of that country.

But you are not going to tell me that 85-90% of people buying promotional flags in the States are Dutch are they?

I will certainly ask the owner of the website if they have an opinion on this matter..

Oh, have you been to a car dealer lately? They must buy those flags in bulk..

Monique this must just be your area, I have seen one dutch flag i all of New York and I have been all over the state.

This is the reply:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your interest in Qualityflags.com!

While many of our commercial message flags use red, white, and blue stripes as colors in the flag, we do carry message flags with other alternating colors such as red, white, green, yellow, black, turquoise, and orange. The dimensions of the message flag have a larger white area, whereas the Netherlands flag has equal dimensions of red, white, and blue.

Although we do not manufacture the actual flags, but distribute, I have passed your email on to the vendor that manufactures the flag.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I may help you with.

Have a great day!
Jackie