Why are commercial tension testing machines so expensive

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of commercial tension testing machines and the technical details surrounding them. The speaker suggests referring to a book for more comprehensive information and mentions that the machines are expensive due to their accuracy and low demand. The conversation ends with a request for the speaker's opinion on the matter.
christyu
can you perhaps explain in technical detail?

Engineering news on Phys.org
christyu said:
can you perhaps explain in technical detail?
What's a commercial tension testing machine?

Others have written books on this subject, so I suspect my explanation (in technical detail) would not be sufficient for this thread. Therefore I attached a book reference that might cover part of your needs. There are several types of tension as well, so if you could supply a technical description of your needs, we might be able to provide a more accurate description of what you require.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/087170806X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes berkeman
CalcNerd said:
Others have written books on this subject, so I suspect my explanation (in technical detail) would not be sufficient for this thread. Therefore I attached a book reference that might cover part of your needs. There are several types of tension as well, so if you could supply a technical description of your needs, we might be able to provide a more accurate description of what you require.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/087170806X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

thank you for the suggestion, I think I should've have used "technical detail" as I'm not really looking for such broad information. I just would like to hear your opinion on this.

They are expensive because they have to be accurate and reliable.
Very few are needed, so very few are sold. The economics of volume is simply not there.

Likes Nidum

1. Why do commercial tension testing machines cost so much?

Commercial tension testing machines are expensive due to the advanced technology and materials used in their construction. These machines must be able to withstand high levels of force and accurately measure the resulting data, which requires precision engineering and high-quality materials that are costly to produce.

2. Can't cheaper alternatives be used instead of commercial tension testing machines?

Cheaper alternatives, such as handheld or DIY tension testing devices, may be available, but they are not as accurate or reliable as commercial machines. These alternatives also lack the features and capabilities that are necessary for certain industries and applications. Therefore, commercial tension testing machines are essential for obtaining accurate and reliable data.

3. Are there any factors that contribute to the high cost of commercial tension testing machines?

Yes, there are several factors that contribute to the high cost of these machines. In addition to the advanced technology and materials used, the cost also includes research and development, quality control, and maintenance. These machines also require specialized training and support, which adds to the overall cost.

4. Can the cost of commercial tension testing machines be justified?

Yes, the cost of these machines can be justified by their importance in various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing. These machines play a crucial role in ensuring the safety and reliability of products and materials. They also help in research and development, quality control, and meeting industry standards and regulations.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the cost of commercial tension testing machines?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the cost of these machines, such as the type and complexity of the machine, the materials used, and the features and capabilities it offers. The reputation and brand of the manufacturer can also impact the cost. Additionally, the demand for these machines and the state of the economy can also influence the pricing.