Why Are Liquid Properties in Steam Tables Labeled with an 'f' Subscript?

In summary, steam tables use the "f" subscript to designate the properties of the substance in the liquid phase, while the "g" subscript refers to gas properties. This convention is used to avoid confusion with other characters, such as "l" which could be mistaken for the number one. Some may find the use of "f" confusing, but it is a common practice in presenting thermodynamic data.
Smed
I'm curious as to why steam tables typically present liquid properties with an "f" subscript, such as ρf.The gas properties use a "g" subscript, so I would expect the liquid properties to use "l". My first guess at the meaning of the "f" would be that it means "fluid", but this wouldn't make sense since both liquids and gases are subcategories of fluids. Am I missing something obvious?

Some examples:
http://www.spiraxsarco.com/us/resources/steam-tables/sub-saturated-water.asp
http://www.efunda.com/materials/water/steamtable_sat.cfm
ASME steam tables are also presented this way but I can't find any free examples online.

Engineering news on Phys.org
'l' can be mistaken for a number of different things, like the numeral one for example. 'f' means fluid, specifically the properties of the substance in the liquid phase. Think of it as a special convention for presenting thermodynamic data.

Thanks for the reply. I admit the 'l' isn't terribly clear in this font, but a little forthought in font choice could prevent the ambiguity. Personally, I find the 'f' more confusing, but maybe that's just me. It seems just as silly to use an 'm' subscript for the liquid phase since liquids are composed of matter.

What is steam table nomenclature?

Steam table nomenclature refers to the system of labeling and categorizing different types of steam tables, which are used in the food service industry to keep food warm and at a safe temperature.

What is the purpose of steam table nomenclature?

The purpose of steam table nomenclature is to provide a standardized system for identifying and categorizing different types of steam tables, making it easier for food service professionals to select and use the appropriate equipment.

How is steam table nomenclature organized?

Steam table nomenclature is typically organized by a combination of letters and numbers, with each letter and number representing a different feature or aspect of the steam table, such as size, shape, and number of compartments.

What are the most common types of steam tables?

The most common types of steam tables are full-size, half-size, and third-size tables. These can come in various configurations, such as open or closed base, with or without sneeze guards, and with one or multiple compartments.

Why is it important to understand steam table nomenclature?

Understanding steam table nomenclature is important for selecting the right equipment for a food service operation, as well as for troubleshooting and maintenance purposes. It also helps ensure consistency and accuracy when communicating about steam tables with other professionals in the industry.