Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why are spheres and triangles so important?

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    I've notice that our eye balls are spheres, our earth is a sphere and our sun is a sphere.. Now that makes me wonder. If our universe is a sphere, i already know scientist think so, but its still something to even think more into. Now this is the big part, triangles are important as well. Like a prism, you shine white light inside of a prism and you get the color of the rainbows. Now this is a dicussion i had in class, with my fellow sapiens. I know the only reason we see certain colors is because the color of our sun and evolution and so on. But if white is the combination of all colors, or combination of red, blue and green. But then what about black? If black is the absence of color how does white appear in space? Is the outside of space white? And space has like an atmosphere of its own but its just black with a bunch of stars inside of it? Just mind boggling. Share your beliefs and if im in the wrong post please direct me to the right one. lol

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2
    Sun and earth are spheres because gravity made them that way
    Eyes are spheres because evolution made them that way:
    those born with spherical eyes could move them in their sockets, whereas those born with square eyes could look in only one direction: towards the tv
    :-)

Seriously though, if you think about things being a certain shape, there are always reasons. Therefore if you think the uiverse might be spherical, then you would need to think of a reason 'why' it would be spherical, and not just because 'other' things are spherical (a good line of reasoning might be that the universe started off as a small point and expanded equally in all directions thus naturally ending up spherical... not fact, just explaining my point)

spheres have their centre point equidistant form every point on the surface, that is a unique property that means some objects end up that shape, and that shape only

4. Nov 11, 2009 #3
    eyes are sphere because the infinite axes of symmetry mean it can rotate in the eye socket with minimal problems!

5. Nov 11, 2009 #4

But isnt it a core that makes it a sphere? So if the universe has a core of such, then what type of core would it have? Lol i know there are no answers i just like talking about things like this. Sometimes i think the universe is like a mirror. When you go to a solon or any store with a mirror and you put one behind you and one in front, you will see an ever lasting image. I wonder if the universe is like that, but if it is like that wouldnt it have to be flat? Just want to see others point of views. No "right" or "wrong" answers here lol.

6. Nov 11, 2009 #5
    I understand where you are coming from but, its soo mind boggling that our eyes and other animal eyes are spheres... Its like if we learn the human body to the fullest we automatically get the answer to the universe. What the hell made our organisms make a sphere shaped eye.. It likes we made computers after us, its like a copy cat, and we are a copy at of the universe. But is the universe a copy cat of itself? You see where im coming from or am i like crazy? Lol

7. Nov 11, 2009 #6
    You can have a hollow sphere, so it would not have a 'core'. I don't know what you mean by 'core' however, especially when you talk about the universe.

8. Nov 11, 2009 #7
    A little crazy but it doesn't hurt as long as you don't just randomly philosophies and then believe what you randomly came up with.

It IS true that if we understood everything about anything (even a single particle) we would be able to extrapolate a huge amount of information about the rest of the universe. And as for the eye thing, remember, our eyes are pressurized fluid bags... so spheres are pretty much a natural shape. Never-mind the fact that you can rotate spherical eyes which has seemed to work out.

9. Nov 11, 2009 #8
    The Earths core (center) and gravity made it a sphere correct? But, if our Universe is a hollow sphere, then is it floating in black space? or white space? If black is the absence of color then how does white and other colors appear in it? Or is it just its the absence of human color cuz the way we evolved with our sun?

10. Nov 11, 2009 #9
    Lol, thanks alot. Not gonna believe it unless i can back it up with math of such. Thats why im going to go into college for quantum physics. And see what happens from there. But thanks alot.

11. Nov 11, 2009 #10
    The Universe is not spherical. Nobody knows what shape the universe is.
    Maybe you are talking about the observable universe, and that's spherical only because we cannot 'see' further (speed of light).

12. Nov 11, 2009 #11
    I see what you are saying. Thanks for the reply.

13. Nov 11, 2009 #12
    owl eyes are cylindrical so they can focus more light! that's why they always move their heads around lots - no rotation is possible in their socket.

14. Nov 11, 2009 #13
    Very well said and thanks alot for the reply and information!! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook