Why are spheres and triangles so important?

In summary: The universe has laws and we are reverse engineering them to understand them. There COULD be things beyond these laws, but if there are, they don't seem to interact with us so there is no reason to believe in them.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of shapes, particularly spheres, in relation to the universe, the human body, and other objects. It delves into ideas of symmetry, evolution, and the possibility of other laws and creatures beyond our understanding. The participants also ponder the existence of a core in the universe and its potential shape. However, there are no definite answers and the conversation is open to personal interpretation and belief.
Rayman9102
I've notice that our eye balls are spheres, our Earth is a sphere and our sun is a sphere.. Now that makes me wonder. If our universe is a sphere, i already know scientist think so, but its still something to even think more into. Now this is the big part, triangles are important as well. Like a prism, you shine white light inside of a prism and you get the color of the rainbows. Now this is a dicussion i had in class, with my fellow sapiens. I know the only reason we see certain colors is because the color of our sun and evolution and so on. But if white is the combination of all colors, or combination of red, blue and green. But then what about black? If black is the absence of color how does white appear in space? Is the outside of space white? And space has like an atmosphere of its own but its just black with a bunch of stars inside of it? Just mind boggling. Share your beliefs and if I am in the wrong post please direct me to the right one. lol

Physics news on Phys.org
Sun and Earth are spheres because gravity made them that way
Eyes are spheres because evolution made them that way:
those born with spherical eyes could move them in their sockets, whereas those born with square eyes could look in only one direction: towards the tv
:-)

Seriously though, if you think about things being a certain shape, there are always reasons. Therefore if you think the uiverse might be spherical, then you would need to think of a reason 'why' it would be spherical, and not just because 'other' things are spherical (a good line of reasoning might be that the universe started off as a small point and expanded equally in all directions thus naturally ending up spherical... not fact, just explaining my point)

spheres have their centre point equidistant form every point on the surface, that is a unique property that means some objects end up that shape, and that shape only

eyes are sphere because the infinite axes of symmetry mean it can rotate in the eye socket with minimal problems!

Molydood said:
Sun and Earth are spheres because gravity made them that way
Eyes are spheres because evolution made them that way:
those born with spherical eyes could move them in their sockets, whereas those born with square eyes could look in only one direction: towards the tv
:-)

Seriously though, if you think about things being a certain shape, there are always reasons. Therefore if you think the uiverse might be spherical, then you would need to think of a reason 'why' it would be spherical, and not just because 'other' things are spherical (a good line of reasoning might be that the universe started off as a small point and expanded equally in all directions thus naturally ending up spherical... not fact, just explaining my point)

spheres have their centre point equidistant form every point on the surface, that is a unique property that means some objects end up that shape, and that shape only

But isn't it a core that makes it a sphere? So if the universe has a core of such, then what type of core would it have? Lol i know there are no answers i just like talking about things like this. Sometimes i think the universe is like a mirror. When you go to a solon or any store with a mirror and you put one behind you and one in front, you will see an ever lasting image. I wonder if the universe is like that, but if it is like that wouldn't it have to be flat? Just want to see others point of views. No "right" or "wrong" answers here lol.

MikeyW said:
eyes are sphere because the infinite axes of symmetry mean it can rotate in the eye socket with minimal problems!

I understand where you are coming from but, its soo mind boggling that our eyes and other animal eyes are spheres... Its like if we learn the human body to the fullest we automatically get the answer to the universe. What the hell made our organisms make a sphere shaped eye.. It likes we made computers after us, its like a copy cat, and we are a copy at of the universe. But is the universe a copy cat of itself? You see where I am coming from or am i like crazy? Lol

Rayman9102 said:
But isn't it a core that makes it a sphere? So if the universe has a core of such, then what type of core would it have? Lol i know there are no answers i just like talking about things like this. Sometimes i think the universe is like a mirror. When you go to a solon or any store with a mirror and you put one behind you and one in front, you will see an ever lasting image. I wonder if the universe is like that, but if it is like that wouldn't it have to be flat? Just want to see others point of views. No "right" or "wrong" answers here lol.

You can have a hollow sphere, so it would not have a 'core'. I don't know what you mean by 'core' however, especially when you talk about the universe.

Rayman9102 said:
I understand where you are coming from but, its soo mind boggling that our eyes and other animal eyes are spheres... Its like if we learn the human body to the fullest we automatically get the answer to the universe. What the hell made our organisms make a sphere shaped eye.. It likes we made computers after us, its like a copy cat, and we are a copy at of the universe. But is the universe a copy cat of itself? You see where I am coming from or am i like crazy? Lol

A little crazy but it doesn't hurt as long as you don't just randomly philosophies and then believe what you randomly came up with.

It IS true that if we understood everything about anything (even a single particle) we would be able to extrapolate a huge amount of information about the rest of the universe. And as for the eye thing, remember, our eyes are pressurized fluid bags... so spheres are pretty much a natural shape. Never-mind the fact that you can rotate spherical eyes which has seemed to work out.

James Leighe said:
You can have a hollow sphere, so it would not have a 'core'. I don't know what you mean by 'core' however, especially when you talk about the universe.

The Earths core (center) and gravity made it a sphere correct? But, if our Universe is a hollow sphere, then is it floating in black space? or white space? If black is the absence of color then how does white and other colors appear in it? Or is it just its the absence of human color because the way we evolved with our sun?

James Leighe said:
A little crazy but it doesn't hurt as long as you don't just randomly philosophies and then believe what you randomly came up with.

It IS true that if we understood everything about anything (even a single particle) we would be able to extrapolate a huge amount of information about the rest of the universe. And as for the eye thing, remember, our eyes are pressurized fluid bags... so spheres are pretty much a natural shape. Never-mind the fact that you can rotate spherical eyes which has seemed to work out.

Lol, thanks alot. Not going to believe it unless i can back it up with math of such. Thats why I am going to go into college for quantum physics. And see what happens from there. But thanks alot.

The Universe is not spherical. Nobody knows what shape the universe is.
Maybe you are talking about the observable universe, and that's spherical only because we cannot 'see' further (speed of light).

antd said:
The Universe is not spherical. Nobody knows what shape the universe is.
Maybe you are talking about the observable universe, and that's spherical only because we cannot 'see' further (speed of light).

I see what you are saying. Thanks for the reply.

Rayman9102 said:

owl eyes are cylindrical so they can focus more light! that's why they always move their heads around lots - no rotation is possible in their socket.

MikeyW said:
owl eyes are cylindrical so they can focus more light! that's why they always move their heads around lots - no rotation is possible in their socket.

Very well said and thanks a lot for the reply and information! :)

1. Why do spheres and triangles appear so often in nature?

There are several reasons why spheres and triangles are common shapes in nature. For one, they are stable and efficient shapes, allowing for maximum strength and minimal surface area. Additionally, spheres and triangles are often the result of natural forces such as gravity and surface tension. Finally, the symmetry of these shapes is visually pleasing and can be found in many organisms and natural phenomena.

2. How are spheres and triangles used in science and technology?

Spheres and triangles have a wide range of practical applications in science and technology. Spheres are used in everything from ball bearings to medicine (i.e. pills and capsules), while triangles are commonly used in construction and engineering due to their stability and strength. Both shapes are also important in fields such as physics and chemistry for their unique properties and ability to fit into mathematical models.

3. What makes spheres and triangles important in mathematics?

Spheres and triangles are fundamental shapes in geometry and trigonometry, making them essential in mathematical problem-solving and calculations. They also have unique properties that are important in various mathematical theorems and formulas. In addition, many geometric concepts and principles are based on the properties and relationships of spheres and triangles.

4. Why are spheres and triangles used in art and design?

Spheres and triangles have been used in art and design for centuries due to their aesthetic qualities and symbolic meanings. Spheres often represent perfection, completeness, and harmony, while triangles can symbolize stability, balance, and strength. These shapes are also visually appealing and can create a sense of movement and depth in artwork and design.

5. What are some real-life examples of spheres and triangles?

Spheres and triangles can be found in many aspects of our daily lives. Some examples include the Earth and other planets (spheres), bubbles and soap films (spheres and triangles), bridges and buildings (triangles), and fruits and vegetables (spheres). These shapes can also be seen in art, architecture, and technology, and have been used since ancient times in various cultures and civilizations.