Why are wet materials transparent?

In summary: But adding more paper does not make the material suddenly not block the light. It would take some sort of material that is specifically designed to not scatter light that would have to be added on top of the paper.Disclaimer: I don't know what I am talking about.
dotancohen
Many materials, such as paper and cloth, are transparent when wet. Of course I understand that water is transparent, but why does a non-transparent material become transparent when something is _added_ to it? If there is some material that blocks the path of the photons, how does adding yet another layer make it suddenly not block them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Disclaimer: I don't know what I am talking about.

Having said that...

This does not happen to ANY wet materials...you immediately narrowed this down to thin, very porous materials like paper and cloth...

I would venture to say that in these cases, the material gets wet through and through and so there is water throughout the material, exposed to light on both sides...and because light can enter water and be refracted, you end up seeing it on the other side...

gsal said:
This does not happen to ANY wet materials...you immediately narrowed this down to thin, very porous materials like paper and cloth...

Perhaps you mean that this does not happen to ALL wet materials. You are right, I should have mentioned that the phenomenon affects only particular materials. However, it is worth noting that those are the materials that super-secret messages are mailed in and women's breasts are covered by, so they are arguably important materials to be able to quickly transform into a transparent state.

Adding water to the paper that is up against a surface results in only one reflection at the body and back out to your eye through the water saturated paper. Adjust the water saturated paper so it is not touching the body, and you have another reflecting surface ie the paper and air.

dotancohen said:
Many materials, such as paper and cloth, are transparent when wet. Of course I understand that water is transparent, but why does a non-transparent material become transparent when something is _added_ to it? If there is some material that blocks the path of the photons, how does adding yet another layer make it suddenly not block them?

To my knowledge the paper is already transparent slightly. I could see adding water reducing the random scattering of light from the surface since the water fills in all the cracks and such.

1. Why do wet materials appear transparent?

Wet materials appear transparent because when light hits the surface of the material, it enters the material and then travels through it. The material allows light to pass through it without scattering or absorbing it, which makes it appear transparent to our eyes.

2. What causes water to be transparent?

Water is transparent because it is a polar molecule, which means it has a positive and negative end. When light hits water, the polar molecules align and absorb certain wavelengths of light, allowing other wavelengths to pass through and making water appear transparent.

3. Are all wet materials transparent?

No, not all wet materials are transparent. Some materials have a different molecular structure that causes them to scatter or absorb light, making them appear opaque or translucent when wet.

4. Can wet materials become transparent when dry?

Yes, some materials may appear transparent when wet but become opaque or translucent when dry. This is because the water that was filling the gaps between molecules has evaporated, causing the molecules to come closer together and altering their ability to transmit light.

5. Why do wet materials sometimes appear darker?

Wet materials may appear darker because the water on the surface can cause light to be absorbed or scattered, making the material appear darker or less transparent. This effect can also be influenced by the color and thickness of the material.