How thick does a material have to be to start to become opaq

• I
  • Thread starter Nicholas Lee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the conversation discussed the transparency of materials to light and how the thickness of a material can affect its transparency. It was also mentioned that solid state physics can differ greatly from atomic physics and that the arrangement of atoms can result in different materials with varying optical properties. The conversation ended with a request for proper citation and questioning the need for starting multiple threads on the same topic.
Nicholas Lee
-que to light?Someone said a atom is transparent to light to me.
but as a material get more thicker, either in single atoms, or a micron, electrons start to absorb light, and there is no more transparency
How thick does a material have to be before there is no more transparency.
Like the material acts as a wall to light.
Now solid state physics can be VERY DIFFERENT than atomic physics.
When atoms are joined together to form a solid, their behavior can be very different than when they are isolated. There are no more "discrete energy states" at the low-lying range, because these have been replaced by energy BANDS!.
If I take carbon atoms, and arrange it in one way, I get graphite.
But I change the arrangement in another way, I get diamond!
Two completely different types of material, and with different optical properties.
Yet, each one of them is made of carbon.
Thank you for your help, anything helps,even a few words.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gold need only be a couple of atoms thick to be opaque.
Water needs to be many tens of metres thick to be opaque.

Likes Nicholas Lee
DaveC426913 said:
Thank you

DaveC426913 said:
Great thank you.

Nicholas Lee said:
-que to light?Someone said a atom is transparent to light to me.
but as a material get more thicker, either in single atoms, or a micron, electrons start to absorb light, and there is no more transparency
How thick does a material have to be before there is no more transparency.
Like the material acts as a wall to light.
Now solid state physics can be VERY DIFFERENT than atomic physics.
When atoms are joined together to form a solid, their behavior can be very different than when they are isolated. There are no more "discrete energy states" at the low-lying range, because these have been replaced by energy BANDS!.
If I take carbon atoms, and arrange it in one way, I get graphite.
But I change the arrangement in another way, I get diamond!
Two completely different types of material, and with different optical properties.
Yet, each one of them is made of carbon.
Thank you for your help, anything helps,even a few words.

Are you aware that you plagiarized one of my posts?

If you are CITING someone, either use the QUOTE function, or quote what you are copying in " ". Otherwise, this looks as if this was ALL written by you!

And why are you starting a new thread, rather than asking this as a follow-up to the thread that had this passage that you copied? You have started numerous threads on almost the SAME topic.

Zz.

Last edited:

1. How is opacity defined in terms of material thickness?

Opacity is a measure of how much light can pass through a material. As a material gets thicker, it becomes increasingly difficult for light to pass through, making it more opaque.

2. Is there a specific thickness at which a material becomes opaque?

No, there is no specific thickness at which a material suddenly becomes opaque. The opacity of a material depends on its composition and the wavelength of light being used.

3. How can I determine the thickness at which a material becomes opaque?

This can be determined through experimentation and measuring the amount of light that is able to pass through the material at various thicknesses. The point at which the material is able to block a significant amount of light can be considered the thickness at which it becomes opaque.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the thickness at which a material becomes opaque?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the thickness at which a material becomes opaque, including the material's density, refractive index, and the angle at which light hits the material.

5. Can a material become opaque without being completely solid?

Yes, a material can become opaque without being completely solid. For example, frosted glass or a thick layer of paint can be considered opaque even though they are not completely solid materials.