Why Does Iteration Method Give Asymptotic Solution for x = \epsilon \log(1/x)?

In summary, the lecturer provided a solution to the question of asymptotic behaviour of x = \epsilon \log(1/x) using the method of iteration, but their use of x_0 = \epsilon is incorrect and leads to a wrong solution.
rsq_a
(I don't believe this is classified as a 'homework question' since the solution is provided. Plus it's not really my homework. Apologies if I'm mistaken.)

This question involves the asymptotic behaviour of [itex]x = \epsilon \log(1/x)[/itex] as x tends to 0.

The lecturer provided a solution using the method of iteration. Basically,

As x tends to 0, the logarithm varies much more slowly than x. So the solution is going to be roughly at x = epsilon

Afterwards, it is shown that the iterative provides the leading order behaviour of

[tex]x \sim \epsilon\log(1/\epsilon)[/tex]

I found this to be deeply disturbing. The truth is that x is NOT "roughly" around x = epsilon. It's a whole factor of log(1/epsilon) away. I suppose this deals with the semantics of how you're using the word "roughly", but the fact is that your initial guess for the iterative method is not the correct leading order solution! In fact, as epsilon tends to 0, your first guess is INFINITELY bad!

Putting semantics aside, I'm trying to teach someone this question and motivate WHY we should be putting x = epsilon into the iterative method.

I can't find a reason.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, to insert x=epsilon is just plain false, of reasons mentioned by yourself.

This CANNOT be represented by a simplistic power series expansion, which is what your lecturer did wrongly.

Rather, we need a clever start!

That start happens to be to set [tex]x=\epsilon\ln(\frac{1}{\epsilon})+f_{1}(\epsilon)[/tex] where we must require that f is asymptotically negligible to the leading order term.
If our calculations turn out wrong for that requirement, we made a wrong initial guess.

Let us see where this leads us:
[tex]\epsilon\ln(\frac{1}{\epsilon})+f_{1}(\epsilon)\sim{-}\epsilon\ln((\epsilon\ln(\frac{1}{\epsilon}))(1+\frac{f_{1}(\epsilon)}{\epsilon\ln(\frac{1}{\epsilon})}))\approx{-}\epsilon\ln\epsilon-\epsilon\ln(\ln(\frac{1}{\epsilon}))-\frac{f_{1}(\epsilon)}{\ln(\frac{1}{\epsilon})}[/tex]
Thus, we gain another asymptotic requirement on f (unless this is compatible with our first requirement, our initial hypothesis about leading order will have been proved wrong!):
[tex]f_{1}(\epsilon)\sim{-}\epsilon\ln(\ln(\frac{1}{\epsilon}))-\frac{f_{1}(\epsilon)}{\ln(\frac{1}{\epsilon})}[/tex]
which can be simplified to:
[tex]f_{1}(\epsilon)\sim(\epsilon\ln(\frac{1}{\epsilon}))(\frac{-\ln(\ln(\frac{1}{\epsilon}))}{1+\ln(\frac{1}{\epsilon})}[/tex]

The expression for f is, indeed, asymptotically tinier than our assumed leading order term, so all is well..:smile:

arildno said:
Well, to insert x=epsilon is just plain false, of reasons mentioned by yourself.

This CANNOT be represented by a simplistic power series expansion, which is what your lecturer did wrongly.

Hi, thanks for your reply. However...

You misunderstood my (badly written) explanation. The person who wrote up the answer did not use a power series expansion. The iterative method was used with,

[tex]x_{n+1} = \epsilon \log(1/x_n)[/tex]

and the initial guess [tex]x_0 = \epsilon[/tex].

This does work.

However, my qualm was with their use of [tex]x_0 = \epsilon[/tex]. It works, but the reason why eludes me.

Well, perhaps you might be able to prove the iteration is contractive for a wide range of initial values; I'm uncertain as to how to conduct that proof.

arildno said:
Well, perhaps you might be able to prove the iteration is contractive for a wide range of initial values; I'm uncertain as to how to conduct that proof.

Is there any way to 'see', a priori, that the leading order term is going to scale like [tex]\epsilon \log(1/\epsilon)[/tex]?

Well, we can make a dominant balance argument:
1. Assume that x is as epsilon as epsilon goes to zero.
Then, the equation would tell us that [tex]-\epsilon\sim\epsilon\ln(\epsilon)[/tex]
which is totally false, the right-hand side is dominant with respect to the left-hand side.

2. Assume that x is as log(1/e) as e goes to zero. In this case, the left hand side would dominate completely.

Thus, having established two wrong choices, each failing at a different side, we might speculate if we should try something "in between" those two pitfalls.

The product of the two behaviours might be our natural third guess, which happens to work.

1. Why does the iteration method give an asymptotic solution for x = ε log(1/x)?

The iteration method is a mathematical technique used to approximate solutions to equations. In this specific case, the iteration method is used to find an asymptotic solution to the equation x = ε log(1/x). This means that as the values of x and ε get smaller and smaller, the solution will approach a specific value, known as the asymptote. This is because the iteration method involves repeatedly substituting values into the equation, which helps to narrow down the possible solutions and converge towards the asymptote.

2. What is an asymptotic solution?

An asymptotic solution is a value that an equation approaches as the variables in the equation get closer and closer to a specific value. In the case of x = ε log(1/x), as x and ε approach zero, the solution will approach a specific value known as the asymptote. This is an important concept in mathematics and is often used to approximate solutions to equations.

3. Can the iteration method be used to find an exact solution for x = ε log(1/x)?

No, the iteration method can only give an asymptotic solution for equations, meaning that the solution will approach a specific value but will never reach it exactly. This is because the iteration method involves approximating the solution through repeated substitution, rather than directly solving the equation. However, the asymptotic solution can still be very useful in many applications.

4. Are there other methods to solve equations with an asymptotic solution?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to find asymptotic solutions for equations. One example is the method of successive approximations, which is similar to the iteration method but involves using a different sequence of values to approach the asymptote. Other methods include the bisection method and the Newton-Raphson method, which can also be used to approximate solutions to equations with asymptotes.

5. What are some real-world applications of equations with asymptotic solutions?

Equations with asymptotic solutions are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, in physics, equations with asymptotic solutions can be used to model the behavior of physical systems as they approach certain limits. In engineering, they can be used to design systems that will perform optimally at certain values. In finance, they can be used to model the behavior of financial markets and predict their future performance.