Why can cashews bleach fabric?

• Thread starter Darkmisc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fabric
This could also happen with other red fabrics.In summary, while soaking a red T-shirt in water, a cashew nut accidentally fell into the bucket. When the water was emptied, the spot where the cashew had rested became fainter, possibly due to a compound or chemical in the cashew that dissolves the red dye in the fabric. This could happen with other red fabrics as well.
Darkmisc
TL;DR Summary
I was soaking a red T-shirt in water and accidentally dropped a cashew nut into the bucket. The spot where the cashew rested became fainter. Can anyone explain why?
Hi everyone

I was soaking a red T-shirt in water and accidentally dropped a cashew nut into the bucket. I think the nut would have been soaking with the T-shirt for maybe three or four days. When I emptied out the water, I noticed the spot on the T-shirt where the cashew had rested became fainter. The faint spot radiated out from the nut and was maybe 10 times the size of the cashew.

Can anyone explain why?

It was soaking only in water, no detergents.

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Darkmisc said:
Summary:: I was soaking a red T-shirt in water and accidentally dropped a cashew nut into the bucket. The spot where the cashew rested became fainter. Can anyone explain why?

It was soaking only in water, no detergents.
It would appear that there is a compound (or molecule) in cashews (an enzyme maybe), or perhaps a chemical on the cashew, that dissolves the red dye in the fabric, or at least breaks the bonds fixing the dye to the fabric/fibre.

Likes Darkmisc

1. Why do cashews have the ability to bleach fabric?

Cashews contain a chemical compound called anacardic acid, which has bleaching properties. When exposed to oxygen, this acid can break down and release hydrogen peroxide, which is a natural bleaching agent.

2. How do cashews bleach fabric?

When cashews are crushed or ground, the anacardic acid is released and can come into contact with fabric. The acid then reacts with oxygen in the air, producing hydrogen peroxide which can bleach the fabric.

3. Can cashews bleach all types of fabric?

Cashews can bleach most types of fabric, but the effectiveness may vary depending on the type of fabric and the concentration of anacardic acid. Natural fabrics such as cotton and linen tend to bleach more easily than synthetic fabrics.

4. Are there any risks to using cashews as a fabric bleach?

While cashews are a natural and non-toxic option for bleaching fabric, it's important to note that hydrogen peroxide can be harmful if ingested or if it comes into contact with the eyes. It's recommended to wear gloves and eye protection when using cashews as a fabric bleach.

5. Can cashews be used as a substitute for chemical bleaches?

Yes, cashews can be used as a natural alternative to chemical bleaches. However, it's important to note that the bleaching process may take longer and may not be as effective as traditional bleaching methods. Additionally, cashews may not be suitable for all types of fabrics, so it's important to test on a small area first.