Why can the Jacobian represent transformations?

In summary, the question asks why the expression ##x'_i=A_{ij}x_j## is used, where ##A_{ij}=\frac{\partial x'_i}{\partial x_j}##. The answer is that this is a common assumption in linear transformations, where any function can be linearly approximated close enough to a point. In the context of a 'math for physics' course, this assumption is often made without restrictions on the type of transformation being made.
Coffee_
Why is it so that I can write:

##x'_i=A_{ij}x_j## where ##A_{ij}=\frac{\partial x'_i}{\partial x_j}##?

Yes if the first expression is assumed it is clear to me why the coefficients have to be the partial derivatives, but why can we assume that we can always write it in a linear fashion in the first place? I assume this is something similar to any function being linearly apporximated close enough to a point but I'd like to hear it to be sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Coffee_ said:
I assume this is something similar to any function being linearly apporximated close enough to a point but I'd like to hear it to be sure.

When you ask questions like this it would be good to have some context. In many cases, you will be dealing with linear transformations only.

Orodruin said:
When you ask questions like this it would be good to have some context. In many cases, you will be dealing with linear transformations only.

This is supposed to be a general 'math for physics' chapter in my mechanics course. We seem to have not made any type of restrictions on what kind of transformations we make or at least, I don't remember the prof mentioning it. This is an introduction to concepts like the metric tensor,covariance and such. I was just a bit confused why formally we could assume that a general transformation could be expressed as ##\vec{x'}=A\vec{x}## where ##A## is a matrix with the partial derivatives. Once we assume that, obviously I see why A is supposed to be filled with partial derivatives, but the assumption in the first place isn't clear.

1. What is the Jacobian and how does it relate to transformations?

The Jacobian is a mathematical concept in multivariable calculus that represents the rate of change of a vector-valued function. It is used to describe the transformation of coordinates from one coordinate system to another.

2. Why is the Jacobian important in the study of transformations?

The Jacobian is important because it provides a way to analyze the behavior of multivariable functions and understand how they transform under different coordinate systems. It also plays a key role in many areas of mathematics and physics, such as optimization and differential equations.

3. Can the Jacobian be used to represent any type of transformation?

Yes, the Jacobian can be used to represent any type of transformation, including linear and nonlinear transformations. It is a versatile tool that allows for the analysis of a wide range of functions and their transformations.

4. How is the Jacobian calculated for a given transformation?

The Jacobian is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the output variables with respect to the input variables. These partial derivatives are then arranged in a matrix, which represents the Jacobian for the given transformation.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Jacobian to represent transformations?

While the Jacobian is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not always be possible to calculate the Jacobian for highly complex or irregular transformations. Additionally, the Jacobian may not fully capture the behavior of a transformation in certain cases, such as when the transformation is discontinuous or has singularities.