Why Can't an Exponential Function Pass Through Specific Points?

In summary, the exponential function f(x)=ab^(x) does not have a point at (0,4) because the y-values are not equal, and there is no equation that can be used to find f(x+1).
darshanpatel

Homework Statement

Consider the exponential function f(x)= ab^(x)

a) Show that (f(x+1))/f(x) = b

b)Use the results from part (a) to explain why there is no exponential function of the form f(x)= ab^(x) whose graph passes through the points (0,4) (1,4) (2,8) (3,24) and (4,72)

Homework Equations

-None-

The Attempt at a Solution

There is no attempt at part (a) becuase I couldn't find a way to start it, but for part (b) I am thinking it can't be a exponential function becuase the y-values for two of the x-values are the same. That's what I think, except I can't put it togethor the way part (b) wants me to.

Please Help.

Physics news on Phys.org
darshanpatel said:
Consider the exponential function f(x)= ab^(x)

a) Show that (f(x+1))/f(x) = b
You are given
[itex]f(x) = ab^x[/itex]
Are you familiar with function notation? What goes inside the parentheses next to f can indicate what you're plugging in. For example,
[itex]f(5) = ab^5[/itex]
[itex]f(\text{Mickey Mouse}) = ab^\text{Mickey Mouse}[/itex]
Given that, what is
[itex]f(x+1) ?[/itex]
Once you find that, then substitute into
[tex]\frac{f(x+1)}{f(x)}[/tex]
darshanpatel said:
b)Use the results from part (a) to explain why there is no exponential function of the form f(x)= ab^(x) whose graph passes through the points (0,4) (1,4) (2,8) (3,24) and (4,72)
Suppose (0, 4) is on the graph of f(x). This is saying that
[itex]f(0) = 4[/itex]
Suppose the other points are on the graph of f(x) as well. What is
[itex]f(1) ?[/itex]
[itex]f(2) ?[/itex]
Can you see how this relates to the expression
[tex]\frac{f(x+1)}{f(x)} ?[/tex]

Thanks, I know get part (a), I was misunderstanding the problem before. It has to be like (ab^(x+1))/(ab^(x)) and then you show simplification. :) :)

Sorry about that whole thing, I understand it now, but how do I take this and put it with part (b)?

Last edited:
darshanpatel said:
I got this: ((ab^(x))+1)/(ab^(x))

what do i do from there, if that's correct?

I don't really get what your saying but I do know what functions are and that whatever value you have for f(x) you plug into all x variables.
If you mean
[tex]\frac{ab^x + 1}{ab^x}[/tex]
... then sorry, that's not right. Is the "+1" really supposed to be separate from abx?

darshanpatel said:
Thanks, I know get part (a), I was misunderstanding the problem before. It has to be like (ab^(x+1))/(ab^(x)) and then you show simplification. :) :)

Sorry about that whole thing, I understand it now, but how do I take this and put it with part (b)?
In (b), in order for the points to lie on the graph of f(x) = abx, then for any x,
[itex]\frac{f(x+1)}{f(x)}[/itex]
has to equal the same base b. So what is
[itex]\frac{f(1)}{f(0)} ?[/itex]
[itex]\frac{f(2)}{f(1)} ?[/itex]
And so on.

I don't understand what you are saying...

The question:

From the points, which is the base? I understand you take the points and plug it into the equation, but I don't get anything further then that. For example, for the point (0,4). I would do this:

y=b^x
4=b^0
4≠1

Is that right to show that it is not a function becuase the values are unequal.

^^Thats probably wrong but what do I plug into the (f(x+1))/(f(x)) =b ? <--- Thats where I am getting confused

Last edited:
bumping this becuase its the last problem and I am getting irritated :(

darshanpatel said:
From the points, which is the base? I understand you take the points and plug it into the equation, but I don't get anything further then that. For example, for the point (0,4). I would do this:

y=b^x
4=b^0
4≠1
Why did you plug into y = bx? The function is in the form of y = abx. Anyway, that's not what I would do.

Let's look at another exponential function: y = 5*2x. Some of the points are these:
(0, 5), (1, 10), (2, 20), (3, 40), (4, 80)...
For an exponential function f, and for any x,
[itex]\frac{f(x+1)}{f(x)} = b[/itex].
Take the ratio of successive y-values, like thus:
[itex]\frac{f(1)}{f(0)} = \frac{10}{5} = 2[/itex]
[itex]\frac{f(2)}{f(1)} = \frac{20}{10} = 2[/itex]
[itex]\frac{f(3)}{f(2)} = \frac{40}{20} = 2[/itex]
[itex]\frac{f(4)}{f(3)} = \frac{80}{40} = 2[/itex]
Note that they all equal 2, and that is the base of the exponential function y = 5*2x.

Now look at the points you were given:
(0,4) (1,4) (2,8) (3,24) and (4,72)
and find
[itex]\frac{f(1)}{f(0)} = ?[/itex]
[itex]\frac{f(2)}{f(1)} = ?[/itex]
[itex]\frac{f(3)}{f(2)} = ?[/itex]
[itex]\frac{f(4)}{f(3)} = ?[/itex]
Do these simplify to the same number?

Related to Why Can't an Exponential Function Pass Through Specific Points?

What is an exponential growth function?

An exponential growth function is a mathematical model that represents a quantity that increases at a constant percentage rate over time. It follows the form y = ab^x, where a is the initial amount and b is the growth factor.

What are the key characteristics of exponential growth functions?

The key characteristics of exponential growth functions are:

• The initial amount (a) is the starting value of the function.
  • The growth factor (b) determines the rate of growth.
  • The graph of an exponential growth function is a curve that increases rapidly at first and then levels off.
  • As x increases, the y-values increase at an increasing rate.

How do you know if a function is exponential?

A function is exponential if it follows the form y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the independent variable. Additionally, the graph of an exponential function will have a characteristic curve that increases rapidly at first and then levels off.

What are some real-life examples of exponential growth?

Exponential growth can be observed in various real-life scenarios, such as population growth, compound interest, spread of diseases, and growth of bacteria. For example, a population with a constant birth rate and a low death rate will experience exponential growth over time.

How do you solve problems involving exponential growth functions?

To solve problems involving exponential growth functions, you can use the formula y = ab^x, where a and b are known values and x is the variable you are trying to solve for. You can also use a graphing calculator or create a table of values to visualize the growth pattern. It is important to correctly interpret the growth factor and initial amount in the context of the problem.