Why Does Kinematics Fail in Calculating Fmax in This Physics Problem?

• Thread starter xstetsonx
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is asking for the maximum force experienced by a 400 g particle moving along the x-axis, given its initial and final velocities. The correct approach is to use the work-energy theorem, where the work done by the force is equal to the change in kinetic energy. This results in the equation W = Fmax * (x2 - x1). Solving for Fmax, we get 4.8 N as the correct answer.
xstetsonx
A 400 g particle moving along the x-axis experiences the force shown in Figure Ex11.15. The particle goes from vx = 2.5 m/s at x = 0 m to vx = 5.5 m/s at x = 2 m. What is Fmax?

my solution manual told me to do this with work and energy

but why can't i do
kinematic:
5.5^2=2.5^2+2A2=6

F=ma
(0.4KG)(6m/s^2)=.5Fmax(2)=2.4N
area under the curve--triangle---

but the correct answer is 4.8N...ugh

Attachments

• eq0e4w86.jpg
    eq0e4w86.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait the area underneath the curve is work right and my answer is the total force? ... so i have to do W=(F)(delta X)??

If the curve had the force as a function of time then your approach would work.

[tex] m(v_2-v_1) = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} F(t) dt [/tex]

this is simply F=ma integrated

but since it isn't you can't do this and you will have to use

[tex] W = \int_{x_1}^{x_2} F(x) \cdot dx [/tex]

What does it mean to "do it my way"?

Doing something "my way" refers to doing it in a manner that is different from how it is traditionally done or how others suggest doing it.

Why can't I do it my way?

There could be various reasons why you are not able to do something your way. It could be due to constraints such as lack of resources or time, or it could be because your way may not align with the goals or objectives of the task.

Can't I just do it my way and see if it works?

While it may be tempting to try doing something your way, it is important to consider the potential consequences. If your way is not aligned with the goals or objectives, it could lead to negative outcomes and waste of resources. It is important to evaluate and discuss the potential risks and benefits before proceeding.

What is the benefit of doing it my way?

The benefit of doing something your way could be that it allows for creativity and innovation, and it may also align better with your personal preferences and strengths. However, it is important to consider if the potential benefits outweigh any potential risks or challenges.

How can I convince others to let me do it my way?

If you strongly believe that your way is the best approach, it is important to communicate and justify your reasoning to others. You can also try to find a compromise or middle ground that incorporates some aspects of your way while still aligning with the goals and objectives of the task.