Why Can't I Resolve Forces Upward?

In summary, the conversation is about resolving forces in the upward direction in a sketched diagram. The book showed that the forces in the y component are in a downward direction, but the person cannot understand why they cannot be in an upward direction. The conversation also discusses the concept of a car not moving and how forces must sum up to zero, as well as the idea that a rope cannot be pushed on. The conversation ends with the person admitting to not understanding which part of their free body diagram is incorrect.
goldfish9776

Homework Statement

why can't I resolve the forces in upward direction ? ( as in the sketched diagram)
the book showed that the (y component ) forces are in downward direction ... why can't be in upward direction ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20150913_211812[1].jpg
    IMG_20150913_211812[1].jpg
    32 KB · Views: 354
Physics news on Phys.org
If you think a situation where the car is not moving. Then all the forces must sum up to zero. If you would take y component forces upward then you would have sum of forces that is not zero. There should be acceleration and after infinity of time cars speed would be infinity?
Downward force should be same as upward force until the (600N) is bigger than friction.

goldfish9776 said:

Homework Statement

why can't I resolve the forces in upward direction ? ( as in the sketched diagram)
Why do you want to do this? o_O

the book showed that the (y component ) forces are in downward direction ... why can't be in upward direction ?

If you draw a free body diagram of the tow ropes, it should become fairly obvious that there are no forces in the upward (sic) direction.

After all, you can't push on a rope. :wink:

SteamKing said:
Why do you want to do this? o_O
If you draw a free body diagram of the tow ropes, it should become fairly obvious that there are no forces in the upward (sic) direction.

After all, you can't push on a rope. :wink:
I drew a free body diagram( pencil -sketched ) , but i gt the forces are in upwards direction . Lol

goldfish9776 said:
I drew a free body diagram( pencil -sketched ) , but i gt the forces are in upwards direction . Lol
The you drew the FBD wrong.

SteamKing said:
The you drew the FBD wrong.
Which part is wrong?i couldn't figure it out

Related to Why Can't I Resolve Forces Upward?

1. Why do forces upward often result in unresolved tensions?

Forces upward are typically caused by the weight of an object or person being supported by another object or surface. The force exerted by the weight of the object creates a downward force, and the supporting object or surface must exert an equal and opposite force upward to counteract it. However, if the upward force is not strong enough, there will be an imbalance of forces and the upward force will not be able to fully counteract the downward force, resulting in unresolved tensions.

2. Can friction play a role in preventing forces upward from being resolved?

Yes, friction can play a significant role in causing unresolved forces upward. Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion, and it can make it difficult for an object to move upward against the force of gravity. This is why it is often more difficult to push an object up a hill than on a flat surface. Friction can also cause objects to slide or slip, which can result in unresolved tensions.

3. Are there situations where forces upward can be resolved?

Yes, there are many situations where forces upward can be resolved. For example, when an object is placed on a table, the table exerts an upward force on the object, which balances out the downward force of the object's weight. Similarly, a person standing on the ground is supported by the ground exerting an upward force on their feet. In both of these cases, the forces upward are resolved and there are no unresolved tensions.

4. How does the angle of the upward force affect its ability to resolve forces upward?

The angle of the upward force can have a significant impact on its ability to resolve forces upward. When the upward force is applied at an angle, only the component of the force that is perpendicular to the surface can counteract the downward force. This means that the steeper the angle, the greater the force needed to fully resolve forces upward. For example, pushing a heavy object up a steep ramp requires more force than pushing it up a gentle slope.

5. Can unresolved forces upward have any consequences or implications?

Yes, unresolved forces upward can have various consequences and implications. In some cases, it can lead to objects or structures collapsing or breaking. For example, if a bridge is not designed to withstand the weight of the vehicles and people crossing it, it may experience unresolved forces upward that could eventually cause it to collapse. Additionally, unresolved forces upward can also cause discomfort or injury in humans, such as when carrying heavy objects or performing physically demanding tasks without proper support or equipment.