Why Can't I Use dy Instead of dx in Solving This Differential Equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps to solve the equation (x2+1)y'+2xy=e-x using the product rule and integrating on both sides. In the process, the question is raised about the use of dx instead of dy in the integration step and it is clarified that it is only an assumption based on the notation used in the problem.
johann1301

Homework Statement

a) Write (x21)y'+2xy as the derivative of a product
b) Solve (x21)y'+2xy=e-x

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I use the product rule backwards and get

((x2+1)y)'

b) I exploit what i just found out...

(x21)y'+2xy=((x2+1)y)'

and get...

e-x=((x2+1)y)'

integrate on both sides...

∫e-xdx=∫((x2+1)y)'dx

-e-x+C=(x2+1)y

and get that...

y=(C-e-x)(x2+1)-1

this is the correct answer according to the book.

What i am curious about is in the step marked with bold text. I wrote dx at the end just by guessing. Why couldn't i just have written dy instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could have integrated both sides with respect to y if you really wanted to, but while the left side would then become ye-x, there is no theorem that helps us easily integrate the right side with respect to y. We are only able to integrate it with respect to x because we found in step one that it is the derivative with respect to x of (x2 + 1)y, and the fundamental theorem of calculus then assures us that its integral with respect to x is (x2 + 1)y plus an arbitrary constant.

Likes 1 person
Thank you!

johann1301 said:
e-x=((x2+1)y)'

∫e-xdx=∫((x2+1)y)'dx

-e-x+C=(x2+1)y

What i am curious about is in the step marked with bold text. I wrote dx at the end just by guessing. Why couldn't i just have written dy instead?

y is function of x and the comma ' means derivative with respect to x. y ' means dy/dx. If f=(x2+1)y then
f '= df/dx . You get f if you integrate f '. ∫f ' dx= f

Formally you can handle the problem as if df/dx was a simple fraction. df/dx = e-x, multiply both sides by dx df= e-x dx and put the integral symbol at the front:

∫ (df/dx) dx = ∫e-x dx

ehild

johann1301 said:

Homework Statement

a) Write (x21)y'+2xy as the derivative of a product
b) Solve (x21)y'+2xy=e-x
You mean (x2+ 1)y'. That puzzled me for a while!

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I use the product rule backwards and get

((x2+1)y)'

b) I exploit what i just found out...

(x21)y'+2xy=((x2+1)y)'

and get...

e-x=((x2+1)y)'

∫e-xdx=∫((x2+1)y)'dx

-e-x+C=(x2+1)y

and get that...

y=(C-e-x)(x2+1)-1

this is the correct answer according to the book.

HallsofIvy said:
You mean (x2+ 1)y'. That puzzled me for a while!

Sorry!

ehild said:
the comma ' means derivative with respect to x

This is only true in this case right? Its more just an assumtion we make based on the look of the task?

johann1301 said:
This is only true in this case right? Its more just an assumtion we make based on the look of the task?

Yes. In most texts on ordinary differential equations, y is assumed to be the dependent variable and x is assumed to be the independent variable as a matter of notation only, usually established by the author in the first chapter. Therefore y' is assumed to always mean y'(x), or dy/dx in these texts only.

What is a simple differential equation?

A simple differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a dependent variable, an independent variable, and the derivative of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable. It represents the relationship between the variable and its rate of change.

What is the purpose of solving a simple differential equation?

The purpose of solving a simple differential equation is to find the function that satisfies the given equation. This function can then be used to make predictions and solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the different types of solutions for a simple differential equation?

The different types of solutions for a simple differential equation are explicit, implicit, and parametric. An explicit solution expresses the dependent variable as a function of the independent variable, while an implicit solution involves both variables in the same equation. A parametric solution involves using a third variable to represent the relationship between the two variables.

What are initial conditions in a simple differential equation?

Initial conditions in a simple differential equation are the values of the dependent and independent variables at a specific point. These values are used to determine the particular solution to the equation, as there can be many possible solutions.

What are the applications of simple differential equations in science?

Simple differential equations have numerous applications in science, including modeling population growth, predicting the movement of fluids and gases, and analyzing electrical circuits. They are also used in fields such as biology, chemistry, and economics to study dynamic systems and make predictions about their behavior.