Why can't we say that photon has very very small mass?

In summary: For a more in-depth treatment of the subject, I would recommend reading:E. P. Wigner, Symmetries and Reflections: Essays in Physics, Philosophy, and CultureIn summary, adding mass to photons does not improve any experimental measurement, and in fact causes some theoretical problems. The limits are very, very tight.
Pradyuman
Any wave mass term decays, similarly if I want to explain redshift by considering massive photon, how much should be the mass? Is it less than today's upper limit.

Solution of wave equation ##□ϕ=0## gives a wave that doesn't disperse over time.

But wave solution of the form ##(□+m^2)ϕ=0## has some dispersion If I consider a wave traveling with speed #v# from A point to B point there will be some dispersion,

Now consider a wave-packet from point A and it is observed that at point B its wavelength has increased due to dispersion,

Now how to calculate the #m# for a wave, and

why can't one apply this to electromagnetic waves

Physics news on Phys.org
Because then we would not have EM as a gauge theory, the mass term is not gauge invariant.

Likes Vanadium 50 and topsquark
That's also not entirely true. For the Abelian gauge symmetry U(1) you can have a "naive mass term" without destroying gauge invariance. It's the so-called Stückelberg realization of the massive spin-1 field. That photons are massless is in this sense an empirical input. According to the particle data booklet the bound is ##m_{\gamma}< 10^{-18} \;\text{eV}##.

• Informative
Likes Demystifier, malawi_glenn and topsquark
Pradyuman said:
there will be some dispersion
But dispersion doesn't change ##m## so I don't understand what point you are trying to make.

Likes topsquark
Pradyuman said:
its wavelength has increased due to dispersion,
Dispersion doesn't increase the wavelength; it spreads out one wavelength into multiple wavelengths.

Dispersion changes the "dispersion relation", ##\omega=\omega(\vec{k})##. For em. waves in the vacuum you have ##\omega=c|\vec{k}|##, where ##c## is the vacuum-speed of light. In which sense do you think that means it "spreads out one wavelength into multiple wavelengths"?

Likes topsquark
vanhees71 said:
That's also not entirely true. For the Abelian gauge symmetry U(1) you can have a "naive mass term" without destroying gauge invariance. It's the so-called Stückelberg realization of the massive spin-1 field. That photons are massless is in this sense an empirical input. According to the particle data booklet the bound is ##m_{\gamma}< 10^{-18} \;\text{eV}##.
Stuckelberg is perhaps one of the most undervalued theoretical physicists.

Likes vanhees71 and topsquark
PeterDonis said:
Dispersion doesn't increase the wavelength; it spreads out one wavelength into multiple wavelengths.
A wavepacket is composed of many waves and I imagine the light travel as a quanta which is equivalent to wavepacket, and since it spreads over all wavelengths, the net result must be spread of crust and trough of the wavepacket which in essence is like increasing wavelength

Pradyuman said:
Any wave mass term decays, similarly if I want to explain redshift by considering massive photon, how much should be the mass?
If you mean the redshift of distant celestial bodies, this can be explained with the Doppler effect and massless photons. This is verified i.e. by the observed duration of explosions of differently distant supernovae.

Source:
https://astro.ucla.edu/~wright/tiredlit.htm

Likes topsquark
The thread title reminds me of the old joke "How many legs does a dog have if you call a tail a leg? Four - calling a tail a leg doesn't make it so." We can say anything we want about a photon's mass.

However...
  1. Adding a mass to the photon improves no experimental measurement.
  2. Adding a mass to the photon solves no theoretical problem, and in fact causes some.
  3. The limits are very, very tight: ~27 otfrts of magnitude smaller than a hydrogen atom.

Likes PeroK, dextercioby and topsquark
Demystifier said:
Stuckelberg is perhaps one of the most undervalued theoretical physicists.
That's true, and also in general for the Swiss contribution to what I'd call the 2nd development step of QFT (the first was Born and Jordan, Heisenberg and Pauli 1926-1930ies), i.e., the development of renormalization theory, and that was not only the Nobel by Schwinger, Feynman, and Tomonaga (with a very important clarifying contribution by Dyson) but also again Pauli, Villars, Weisskopf, and Stückelberg. The latter was also one of the pioneers of the renormalization-group idea (Stückelberg & Petermann). All this finally culminated in the general renormalization theory by BPHZ. The 3rd step was then the discovery of non-Abelian gauge theories and their renormalizability (most prominently 't Hooft, Veltman, but also Ward et al), which paved the way for the Standard Model as its most successful application.

• Care
Likes topsquark, Demystifier and malawi_glenn
We need an insight on the history of relativistic qft

Likes pinball1970, vanhees71 and Demystifier
Pradyuman said:
since it spreads over all wavelengths, the net result must be spread of crust and trough of the wavepacket
Why?

Likes vanhees71
malawi_glenn said:
We need an insight on the history of relativistic qft
Before we have that, I recommend to read the historical intro in Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields, vol. 1.

For the early history (QED from 1925 to Feynman, Schwinger, Tomonaga, and Dyson):

S. S. Schweber, QED and the men who made it

About the "modern period" (non-Abelian gauge theories and their renormalizability):

F. Close, The Infinity Puzzle

Likes dextercioby and malawi_glenn

1. Why can't we say that photon has very very small mass?

The concept of mass is defined as the amount of matter an object contains. However, photons do not have any physical matter, they are considered as energy packets. Therefore, they do not have a mass in the traditional sense.

2. Can photons have a mass at all?

No, photons do not have a mass. They are massless particles that travel at the speed of light. This is one of the fundamental principles of the theory of relativity.

3. If photons don't have mass, how do they interact with matter?

Even though photons do not have a mass, they have energy and momentum. This allows them to interact with matter through electromagnetic forces. This is why we can see and feel the effects of light, even though it does not have a physical mass.

4. Is there any evidence to support the idea that photons have no mass?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments and observations that support the idea that photons are massless particles. For example, the bending of light around massive objects, known as gravitational lensing, can only be explained if photons have no mass.

5. Can photons ever have a mass in certain conditions?

There are theories that suggest that under certain extreme conditions, such as in the early universe or in the presence of a strong magnetic field, photons may acquire a small mass. However, this is still a topic of debate and has not been confirmed by any experiments.