1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why dimensions can be treated as algebraic quantities?

1. Aug 18, 2007 #1
    Hi, in my physics book (serway) they say "dimensions can be treated as algebraic quantities" but I don't understand this very well. If I sum meters I get meters, if I multiply meters I think I get meters^2 because the area of a rectangle is b.h. But if, for instance, I multiply seconds.seconds I don't uderstand why I get sec^2.

Algebraically x.x = x^2 but x represent a a number not time, weight, etc.

I see it like 3 apples x 2 apples = 6 apples^2.

Probably I'm getting this wrong, Could you help me to understand this right please?

As always, excuse me if my english isn't very clear.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2007 #2
    i hope this helps

asking such question, i assume you are like me, a person fusing about how everything tiny detail functions,:approve:

yes it is rite that they can be treated as algebraic quantities,
    in physics, a letter is usally used with the inclusion of units
    we say, the force is donated by F, not F N as in F Newton

the apple case is rite, but we dont see ourselfs multiple apples by apples do we,we can say, i bought 6 sets of 4 apples, that implies 4 * 6 applies ie 24 apples but we dont see ourselves multiplying apples by applies

we can treat them as algebric quanties as we always express them as rates (unit 1) / (unit 2), such as in velocity (m/s) but we find it better to treat units as algebric qualites as exampled in the case of acceleration
    a= (v_f - v_0) / t where v_f is the final velocity and v_0 is the intial velocity which is denoted by the unit (m/s) and time in s
    then a's unit must be (m/s * 1/s)

we donate this unit
    (m * 1)/ (s*s) which is m s^-2

lets give it a numberic value as well
    the acceleration of a car is 2 metres per second per second or 2 metres per second squared ( to the north) . then in a 1 sec period, the cars speed changes m s^-2 * 1s =2 metres per second or (2m/s)/s * 1s = 2 metres per second

so really there is not sec^2 in the world but it exists as sec and is usually expressed as the rate of something ( unit 1 (eg. Joule)/ sec) and then it follows that the rate of change of that rate is ( unit 1/ sec / sec) which is better expressed as (unit 1 s^2) and as seen in the acceleartion case multple this by a value of time will result in the change if the other rate in that time period!

I hope this is suppose to help you more than to add confusion!
    PS my english is not so perfect either!
  4. Aug 18, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes that is true calculus_jy , the units like J*m/s^3 dont exists, they just help us to see what a specific physical formula tells us. And also to make sure that what is on the left side is the same as the right side. You can't compare a quantity that has the units J/T with another one that has m/s^3
  5. Oct 13, 2007 #4
    Thank you for your answers.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?