Why do computer generated faces differ from real ones?

• Thread starter kolleamm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary: I don't know, maybe because it's just creepy?In summary, both photos are realistic to some degree, but the first photo has less detail and the facial expressions are off.
kolleamm
I've probably been wondering about this questions for years now. Why is it that even some of the best works fall short of looking undoubtedly real?

Whether the face is plastic, or just on a screen, why is it that it looks unreal? Is it the lack of fine detail?

I know there are exceptions but let's consider just the majority.

Attachments

• enhanced-16500-1408475637-2.jpg
    enhanced-16500-1408475637-2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 529
  • p01g0927.jpg
    p01g0927.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 535
Computer science news on Phys.org
That's true. Just looking at a photograph though, what would make it seem off though? The first image has a good amount of detail and good shading, so what would be missing?

Hardware is a limitation in real-time rendering applications. Consoles and PCs still lack the horse power to render truly life-like CGI on the spot. There's also the fact that faces are particularly tricky objects to model and animate realistically.

The best CGI is found in pre-rendered content--any type of static or motion picture.

Who's real, who's CGI?

maxresdefault.jpg

lauren-02-thumb-600x328.jpg

Likes Pepper Mint
rollete said:
Who's real, who's CGI?
Just a stab in the dark ... first (male) is CGI, second (female) is real.

jedishrfu said:
This is known as the uncanny valley, when you think something that looks very human also looks or behaves in a creepy and unnerving way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

Sounds similar to the hatred of "Mimes".

Though, professional mimes claim that they never really met someone that hated them.

Mime here.
I've never met a person (while I was in mime) that seemed to not like mimes.
[ref: https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/284ux6/why_do_many_people_hate_mimes/]But, my theory is, that the people they met, were just being polite.
Machines should look and act like machines, and people should look and act like people.

Everything else, is just creepy.

ps. See: Clowns. What the hell are clowns supposed to be, anyways. :oldsurprised:

[edit] Ha! What did I tell you...
Which do you hate more: Mimes or Clowns?
  • Mimes
  • Clowns
  • I'm an Equal Opportunity Hater
[ref: http://www.ihatemimes.com/]​

Last edited by a moderator:
kolleamm said:
That's true. Just looking at a photograph though, what would make it seem off though? The first image has a good amount of detail and good shading, so what would be missing?

if that second photo ( the woman) is real and not a manikin ( I almost suspect it is, unless you can show me otherwise)
then the photo editor has just gone overboard in photoshop ... nothing to do with the way the screen is rendering the image

there is hardly a glamour/fashion image that isn't photoshopped these days before displayDave

The woman in the second photo is not real, it's silicone skin :D

kolleamm said:
I disagree. Both of those photos are lacking in sufficient detail. But more importantly, the facial expressions are off, which is is the giveaway for me.

Both in #4 look real to me. The lack of expression probably helps, but the texture complexity makes them far superior to the pictures in the OP.

Likes kolleamm
rollete said:
Both CGI.
The male has no "frown lines;" that's a "gimme." From the way the question/challenge was constructed, I had to gag down objections to the female (ears) and pick it as "live."

kolleamm said:
Why is it that even some of the best works fall short of looking undoubtedly real?
The first graphic looks like it's from Dead Space which is like 8 years old now and optimized so many systems can run it. Some of the top of the line look pretty darn scary close. Give it another 10 years and you won't know the difference.

https://www.fastcodesign.com/3047730/this-is-the-most-realistic-computer-generated-skin-weve-ever-seen

Likes Pepper Mint and OmCheeto
More than virtally anything else, humans are adept at examining faces. A large part of our processing power is devoted to this.

Ther are 7 billion people in the world, and yet we can identify a friend's face at 20 yards from virtually any angle except directly behind him, in a fraction of a second.

It's what we do.

Likes phinds and Ibix
kolleamm said:
The woman in the second photo is not real, it's silicone skin :D

as I suspected

so why are you trying to compare two totally different situations and then blame the computer for not giving a realistic outcome

a little pointlessDave

I suspect that Oliver Sacks wouldn't recognize the difference as he was face blind.

Likes OCR and davenn
The short answer to the title question is: Mainly because of the rendering engine used and how it is programmed.

However, it also depends on the 3D graphics API (see a list here) used by the renderer and like mentioned above, how that library is used by the programmer/s. Another big dependency as to why they differ from real ones is that a lot of it will be decided on how the programmer or graphic designer works with the software (3D computer graphics software). That software can be a game engine, a 3D modeling software, a CAD software, or an exclusive 3D rendering software.

The reason it is this way is because someone programs an application that communicates with a rendering library, that rendering library communicates with a driver and then that driver communicates with the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit). This is a very lengthy subject. If you are interested, the keywords you are looking for is: Rendering Pipeline. Here is a very basic slide in which you could maybe find more keywords to search and study: https://www.ics.uci.edu/~majumder/VC/classes/geomgraphics.pdf

The subject itself is complex. Not for being lazy, but I can tell you that if you read a book of Mathematics for Game Developers you will see part of the whole mathematic world behind it as well as the plethora of ways to approach 3D rendering. It gets complex pretty fast and some things you simply cannot understand unless you are well versed in differential equations (referring specifically to animations and real time rendering). For example, one filtering in texture mapping make the rendering hardware examine some partial derivatives of interpolated components of a texture and it does so with a given differential equation. Yet this is only one method of texture mapping. It would be the programmer/s of the rendering engine, the users of the rendering engine, or the designer/s, the ones to choose which method to use for mapping and that will have different results in the final rendered image.

And so on goes the list of variables that affect the rendering of objects.

All in all, the answer is that there are many variables that affect the rendering.

If you ask for my opinion, which you did not, I would tell you that based on my understanding and knowledge, we have the mathematics and tools required to render resembling enough faces to a level in which they cannot be differentiated. What we don't have for the public (you and me) is the widespread access to the work of individuals with intellect enough to use that mathematic and tools to create or help create something that astonishes us and makes us think it is real. Rendering something like that would require a huge human effort and intellect; and things that require huge human efforts and intellect are scarce.
rollete said:
Hardware is a limitation in real-time rendering applications. Consoles and PCs still lack the horse power to render truly life-like CGI on the spot. There's also the fact that faces are particularly tricky objects to model and animate realistically.
I beg to partially differ on the first sentence. I think the mathematics and tools are more than good enough. What is not good enough is the effort put into making the software and the effort of the designer of the models like I mentioned above. On the second sentence I agree, real time rendering of highly realistic objects with and ordinary user computer at the moment of writing this is very hard because it lacks the resources.

In your third sentence I also agree, that is a fact and variable to take into consideration when looking at OP's question. It is tricky and like I mentioned above, requires huge human efforts which are scarce.
rollete said:
The best CGI is found in pre-rendered content--any type of static or motion picture.
True. Pre-rendered content contains more detail that would be hard or would require more processing resources than an ordinary individual's computer would have available for real time rendering. Hence, looking better to the human eye. That's why some game engines give you the option to pre-render content and pack it in the game which increases the size of the game, but gives more realistic graphics.
rollete said:
Who's real, who's CGI?

maxresdefault.jpg

lauren-02-thumb-600x328.jpg
I think both of them are CGI. The first one has a logo, the second one's scene was not rendered real enough for my eyes and the lightning shades of the neck are not on par with the amount of light striking the lower eye and nose.

Had the first one not had a logo I could have mistaken it by real. Yet a closer inspection shows lightning in the neck muscles that give away the mesh construction.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I think he is real but she isn't. Look at her ear which is graphically constructed. Its border needs to be blurred out a little more to make her look more real.
On the other hand, the man was naturally constructed with asymmetrical ears. He doesn't look handsome with wrinkles and there seem to be two light sources on him (from the back and the top) though.

Looking at the animation in the link in #13, it does make you realize what a big role the stretch marks in our skin play in convincing us a face is real. I do realize my second picture in the first post was not CGI, but still worth mentioning nevertheless. If you look at the lips they have virtually no stretch marks or ridges.

My ultimate goal is to be able to print out a 3d face model in plastic and make it look realistic, whether flexible or not it doesn't matter. Therefore I thought the best place to start would be to ask why most CGI is so easily distinguishable from the real.

What now appears to be evident to me is that lighting and a lack of detail plays a big role between real and unreal.
For example the way that light reflects off our moist lips, and the tiny stretch marks on our skin (which a computer will have a hard time generating with correct shading and not mere lines)

Here is a good comparison

Attachments

• comparision cgi vs real.png
    comparision cgi vs real.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,105
kolleamm said:
Here is a good comparison
True, but your CGI example on the left is really poorly done. There are CGI examples out there that make you look twice.

Saya-3D-Model-by-Teruyuki-and-Yuka-krk-724x1024.jpg

Kristen-Stewart-3D-Fanart-by-Hyun-Kyung-739x1024.jpg

Dan-Roarty-Realistic-Grandmother-3D-Model.jpg

Likes OCR and kolleamm
It's amazing how real they look yet at the same time my mind is able to know they aren't. Lack of detail again perhaps? Or lighting?

kolleamm said:
It's amazing how real they look yet at the same time my mind is able to know they aren't. Lack of detail again perhaps? Or lighting?
Yeah we haven't gotten there yet, but it won't be long. I think the middle one of Kristen Stewart is about as good as I've seen. If I didn't see that image in a thread about CGI then I may think it was real.

Likes kolleamm
From my limited experience with 3D applications the main reason faces are different is the lighting, and how the lighting is reflected [specularity]. Also the the skins texture and mapping, 3D skin can sometimes appear flat and too sharply defined whereas real skin or a quality 3d rendering the subject has a certain depth that the eye recognises...

Likes kolleamm
I think also facial symmetry is a giveaway unless it is purposely given attention.

Likes kolleamm

FAQ: Why do computer generated faces differ from real ones?

1. Why do computer generated faces look less realistic than real ones?

Computer generated faces rely on algorithms and mathematical models to create an image, while real faces have subtle variations and imperfections that make them appear more lifelike. Additionally, computer generated faces may lack realistic textures and lighting that contribute to the overall appearance of a real face.

2. Can computer generated faces be indistinguishable from real faces?

With advancements in technology, computer generated faces are becoming more and more realistic. However, it is still difficult to create a face that is completely indistinguishable from a real one. There are still limitations in simulating the complexity and variability of human faces.

3. How do computer generated faces differ from real ones in terms of emotional expression?

Computer generated faces may struggle to accurately convey emotions as they rely on pre-programmed expressions and lack the subtle micro-expressions that are present in real faces. This can make computer generated faces appear less authentic and can impact the overall believability of the character or image.

4. Is it possible to create a completely unique computer generated face?

Yes, it is possible to create a unique computer generated face using advanced 3D modeling techniques and software. However, it may still lack the individuality and uniqueness of a real human face, as it is based on mathematical models rather than real physical features and characteristics.

5. What challenges do researchers face when trying to create realistic computer generated faces?

One of the main challenges is creating a face that is both visually realistic and emotionally believable. This requires a deep understanding of human facial anatomy, expressions, and emotions. Additionally, there are technical challenges in accurately modeling and animating the face, such as realistic skin textures and movements.