Why do different formulae give me different answers for mass of galaxy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the mass of a galaxy within the orbit of the sun using different methods. The first method uses the formula for centripetal force to calculate the mass, resulting in a value of 1.7 x 10^41 kg. The second method uses Newton's form of Kepler's Third Law, resulting in a value of 7.1 x 10^10 Mʘ (solar masses) or approximately 1.4 x 10^41 kg. The third method also uses Kepler's Third Law, but in its original form, resulting in a value of 1.3 x 10^41 kg. These values are significantly different and can be attributed to variations in
anyaxo
I am trying to calculate the mass of the galaxy within the orbit of the sun.

M = Mass of the galaxy = ?
r = ‘Distance of sun from galactic centre = 7.6 kpc’ = 2.3 x 1017 km = 2.3 x 1020 m (2 sf)
G = Gravitational constant = 6.67 x 10-11 Nm2kg-2
v = ‘Radial velocity of the sun = 220,000 ms-2’

Since the Sun’s orbit around the galactic centre is nearly circular, it undergoes circular motion and experiences a centripetal force:

〖mv〗^2/r = - GMm/r^2

v^2 = GM/r
M= ((220,000)^2 (2.3 ×〖10〗^20))/(6.67 ×〖10〗^(-11) )
=1.7 × 〖10〗^41 kg (2 significant figures)
Using Newton's form of Kepler's Third Law..

r = ‘distance of sun from galactic centre = 1.6 x 109 AU (Astronomical Units)’ 13
T = ‘orbital period of the sun = 2.4 x 108 Julian Years’
M = Mass of galaxy = ?

M= r^3/T^2

M= 〖(1.6 × 〖10〗^9)〗^3/〖(2.4 ×〖10〗^8)〗^2

M=7.1 × 〖10〗^10 M_ʘ

This proves that if every star has approximately the mass of the sun, there are approximately 7.1 x 10^10 stars in the Milky Way.

7.1 x 10^10 Mʘ = 1.4 x 10^41 kg (2 significant figures)

Finally, by using the original form of Kepler’s Third Law we can also obtain the mass of a galaxy.

T = ‘orbital period of the sun = 2.4 x 108 Julian Years’ 15 = 7.57 x 1015 seconds
r = ‘distance of sun from galactic centre = 2.3 x 1017 km’ 13= 2.3 x 1020 m
G = Gravitational constant = 6.67 x 10-11 Nm2kg-2

T^2=(〖4π〗^2/GM)r^3

M= (4π^2 r^3)/(GT^2 )

M= (4 × π^2 ×〖(2.3 × 〖10〗^20)〗^3)/((6.67 × 〖10〗^(-11) ) 〖(7.57 × 〖10〗^15)〗^2 )

M = 1.3 x 10^41 kg (2 significant figures)

Why are my three answers (all in bold) so different? and which one is correct and why? I need to explain this for my coursework!

Physics news on Phys.org
Using your values for R and T, I get v = 2πr/T = 1.91 x 10^5 m/s, which is not the same as the 220,000 m/s you use in the first calc.

1. Why do different formulae give me different answers for mass of galaxy?

There are various factors that can contribute to the differences in mass estimates for a galaxy. One of the main reasons is that different formulae may be based on different assumptions or data sources. Additionally, the precision and accuracy of the measurements used in the formulae can also affect the results. Furthermore, each formula may be designed to calculate a specific type of mass, such as visible mass or dark matter mass, leading to variations in the results.

2. How do I determine which formula to use for calculating the mass of a galaxy?

The choice of formula depends on the specific purpose and data available. For example, if you are interested in the visible mass of the galaxy, you can use a formula that takes into account the luminosity and distance of the galaxy. On the other hand, if you want to estimate the total mass, including dark matter, you may need to use a different formula that incorporates the rotation curve data. It is essential to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of each formula before making a decision.

3. Is there a "correct" formula for calculating the mass of a galaxy?

No, there is no definitive formula for calculating the mass of a galaxy. Each formula is designed to serve a specific purpose and may have its own assumptions and limitations. Therefore, it is essential to understand the context and purpose of the calculation and choose the most appropriate formula accordingly.

4. Why is it important to use different formulae for estimating the mass of a galaxy?

Using different formulae allows scientists to compare and validate their results and gain a better understanding of the galaxy's structure and composition. Additionally, as different formulae may be based on different assumptions and data, using multiple formulae can help account for uncertainties and provide more accurate estimates.

5. Can different formulae be combined to get a more accurate estimate of the galaxy's mass?

Yes, combining results from different formulae can help improve the accuracy of the mass estimate. However, it is crucial to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of each formula and ensure they are compatible before combining the results. Additionally, using multiple formulae can also help identify any discrepancies or errors in the data or calculations.