Why Do Dogs do Strange things

In summary, dogs roll in stinky things to cover up their own scent, and this evolutionary trait may be why they bark more than wolves.
Anna Blanksch
Gold Member
So I've been hanging out with this adorable dog (small labradoodle) of the family that I nanny for and she has got me asking a lot of dog-related questions.

Right now what's on my mind is this... Why do dogs (and other animals?) roll in stinky smelling things like dead animal residue? Are they trying to cover up their own scent from enemies/predators? Do they just "like" the strong smell of whatever they roll in?

Silly dogs...

Thanks! :)

Biology news on Phys.org
For the same reason hunters spray themselves with stinky stuff. Hunters spray themselves with some nasty perfumes to mask their human scent.

Dogs are (or at least their ancestors were) hunters.

D H said:
For the same reason hunters spray themselves with stinky stuff. Hunters spray themselves with some nasty perfumes to mask their human scent.

Dogs are (or at least their ancestors were) hunters.

I am interested to know as well. So you are suggesting this is an evolutionary trait to mask their own smell in order to be a more stealthy hunter?

Wow, that's a bit of a chasm no?

I always assumed it was to smell...period. Just a strong, noticeable "successful hunter" smell. A sort of dog cologne/perfume.

Many of the inherited variations that make the dog paedomorphic to the wolf may involve neurohumors and glands. Studies of “domesticated foxes”, bred within a human lifetime, show significant increases in serotonin and significant decrease in corticosteroids. The specially bred foxes have floppy ears and bark. The current hypothesis is that similar changes happened in the ancestors of the dog.
This is on the net. However, I can’t give links. I will give the reference to the
article and a quotation from the abstract.
“The Domestic Savage” in Scientific American September 2003.
“The most famous study on selective breeding for passivity began in 1959 by Russian geneticist Dmitri Belyaev of the Institute of Cytology and Genetics in Siberia. It continues today under the direction of Lyudmila N. Trut. Silver foxes were bred for friendliness toward humans, defined by a graduating series of criteria, from the animal allowing itself to be approached, to being hand fed, to being petted, to proactively seeking human contact. In only 35 generations the researchers produced tail-wagging, hand-licking, peaceful foxes. What they also created were foxes with smaller skulls, jaws and teeth than their wild ancestors.
The Russian scientists believe that in selecting for docility, they inadvertently selected for paedomorphism — the retention of juvenile features into adulthood — such as curly tails and floppy ears found in wild pups but not in wild adults, a delayed onset of the fear response to unknown stimuli, and lower levels of aggression. The selection process led to a significant decrease in levels of stress-related hormones such as corticosteroids, which
are produced by the adrenal glands during the fight-or-flight response, as well as a significant increase in levels of serotonin thought to play a leading role in the inhibition of aggression. The Russian scientists were also able to accomplish what no breeder had ever achieved before — a lengthened breeding season.”

I think this article will address your original question, which was why dogs bark
more than wolves. Of course, you may have a few more questions after you read
it.

I am always curious about the behaviors of different animals, including our beloved canine companions. While there is no definitive answer as to why dogs may engage in strange behaviors such as rolling in stinky substances, there are a few theories that could explain this behavior.

One possible reason is that it is an instinctual behavior inherited from their wild ancestors. Wild canines, such as wolves, would often roll in strong-smelling substances in order to mask their own scent and make it more difficult for predators to track them. This could also serve as a way to camouflage themselves while hunting prey.

Another theory is that dogs may simply enjoy the strong scent of certain substances. As we know, dogs have a highly developed sense of smell and are often attracted to strong odors. Rolling in these substances may be a way for them to experience and explore different scents in their environment.

It is also possible that rolling in stinky substances could have a social aspect for dogs. In the wild, pack members would often share scents as a way to reinforce social bonds and communicate with one another. Rolling in stinky substances could be a way for dogs to bring back a unique scent to their pack and strengthen social ties.

Ultimately, the exact reason why dogs engage in this behavior may vary from individual to individual and could be a combination of these theories. While it may seem strange to us, it is important to remember that dogs are still animals with instincts and behaviors that may seem odd to us but serve a purpose in their world. So the next time you see a dog rolling in something stinky, just remember that it may not be so silly after all.

Why do dogs tilt their heads?

One theory is that dogs tilt their heads to better hear and understand human speech. By tilting their heads, they may be able to pick up on subtle changes in tone or inflection.

Why do dogs eat grass?

Eating grass may be a natural behavior for dogs, as their ancestors in the wild would consume plants for nutritional or medicinal purposes. It may also be a sign of stomach discomfort or boredom.

Why do dogs chase their tails?

Tail chasing can be a playful behavior in dogs, but it can also be a sign of boredom or anxiety. Some breeds, such as terriers, may have a stronger instinct to chase their tails due to their history as working dogs.

Why do dogs lick people?

Licking is a natural behavior for dogs, as it is how they groom themselves and show affection. It may also be a sign of submission or an attempt to communicate with their owners.

Why do dogs sniff each other's behinds?

Dogs have a special organ called the vomeronasal organ, which is located in their nose and allows them to detect pheromones. Sniffing each other's behinds is a way for dogs to gather information and communicate with other dogs.