Why do gas planets not collapse?

As a result, planets like Jupiter do not collapse under their own gravity despite having the gravitational pull to have moons orbiting them."In summary, planets like Jupiter do not collapse into solid spheres under their own gravity because of [URL [Broken] Law[/URL]. The gas compression caused by the gravitational pull increases the planet's temperature and pressure, eventually reaching a state of equilibrium that prevents collapse.
pulsar28
Hello all,

Ok I`m new to this forum so please don`t shout at me if this is a silly question :)
I have been wondering why it is that planets like Jupiter which have the gravitational pull to have moons orbiting them - why they then don`t collapse into solid spheres under their own gravity?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
pulsar28 said:
Hello all,

Ok I`m new to this forum so please don`t shout at me if this is a silly question :)
I have been wondering why it is that planets like Jupiter which have the gravitational pull to have moons orbiting them - why they then don`t collapse into solid spheres under their own gravity?
"[URL Law[/URL]. As the gas compresses under the pull of gravity, its temperature goes up. Its temperature goes up means its pressure goes up. At some point, the gravitational pull balancecs with the expansive pressure and the planet reaches equilibrium.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

That's actually a great question! The reason gas planets like Jupiter do not collapse under their own gravity is due to a concept called hydrostatic equilibrium. This means that the internal pressure of the planet's gases balances out the gravitational force pulling everything towards the center. As the planet grows larger, its gravity also increases, causing the gases to compress and increase their internal pressure. This results in a stable balance between the inward force of gravity and the outward force of pressure, preventing the planet from collapsing.

Additionally, gas planets are mostly made up of hydrogen and helium, which are very light gases. This means that even though they have a large mass, their density is relatively low, making it easier for them to maintain their shape and not collapse.

I hope this helps answer your question! Happy exploring!

1. Why are gas planets able to maintain their shape and not collapse under their own gravity?

Gas planets, such as Jupiter and Saturn, are able to maintain their shape and not collapse due to a balance between their inward gravitational force and outward pressure. The massive size and strong gravitational pull of gas planets causes gas molecules to be compressed, resulting in an increase in temperature and pressure. This increase in pressure pushes against the gravitational force, creating a stable equilibrium and preventing the planet from collapsing.

2. How does the composition of gas planets contribute to their ability to resist collapse?

The composition of gas planets is primarily made up of hydrogen and helium gas, which are relatively lightweight compared to other elements. This means that the planet's overall density is much lower, resulting in a lower gravitational force. Additionally, the gas molecules in the outer layers of the planet are able to escape into space, reducing the overall mass and gravitational pull of the planet.

3. Can a gas planet ever collapse or become a solid planet?

While gas planets are able to resist collapse due to their size and composition, it is possible for them to undergo a process called core accretion. This occurs when the planet's core becomes massive enough to attract and hold onto gas molecules, gradually increasing the planet's size and density. As the planet continues to grow, it may eventually become a solid planet with a rocky core.

4. How does the temperature of a gas planet affect its stability?

The temperature of a gas planet is closely linked to its stability. As gas planets do not have a solid surface, their temperature is largely determined by the amount of energy they receive from the sun. If a gas planet is too close to its star, it may become too hot and the gas molecules will become more energetic, increasing the pressure and potentially causing the planet to expand and become unstable. On the other hand, if the planet is too far from its star, it may become too cold and the gas molecules will lose energy, decreasing the pressure and potentially causing the planet to shrink and become unstable.

5. What role do magnetic fields play in preventing gas planets from collapsing?

Gas planets, like Earth, have magnetic fields that are generated by the movement of electrically charged particles within their cores. These magnetic fields extend far beyond the planet's surface and create a protective barrier against the solar wind, a stream of charged particles coming from the sun. This helps to stabilize the planet's atmosphere and prevent it from being stripped away by the solar wind, maintaining the planet's equilibrium and preventing collapse.