Why have I suddenly developed an interest in math through studying physics?

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the individual has always disliked math but has recently become interested in physics. They question if it is due to their love for complicated things or their determination to improve in math. The expert summarizer believes it is a combination of both and shares their personal experience of initially disliking math until finding a practical use for it. They also mention how reading more rigorous math books sparked their interest and they are now writing a book to help others see the beauty in math.
Tyrion101
i have always hated math with a passion, but for whatever reason my decision to make an attempt at physics (obviously not right off) has sparked my interest, is it just my love for complicated things? or the determination that i have to not be awful at math anymore? or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tyrion101 said:
i have always hated math with a passion, but for whatever reason my decision to make an attempt at physics (obviously not right off) has sparked my interest, is it just my love for complicated things? or the determination that i have to not be awful at math anymore? or what?
Imho, yes.

Many times someone will hate something until they find a use for it.

Maybe it's because you're doing different maths?

In high school I found maths boring because it was mainly 'remember this formula' and 'add numbers to other numbers'

I started to like maths once I read Mary Boas' Mathematical Methods book and Gilbert Strang's Introduction to Linear Algebra book and I started to see that maths wasn't just what it seemed to be when I was in high school.
Later on I picked up a book called 'The Theory of Sets' by the Bourbaki group and I've been hooked ever since.

For this reason I've been putting together a small book, that covers the standard syllabus but goes into more rigour, for some friends of mine who seem like they may be interested in 'real' maths but are put off by the high school stylings of it. I'm also hoping that it'll give anyone who reads it at least a little of that 'mathematical maturity' every other book talks about.

I can understand your sudden interest and change in attitude towards math. It is common for individuals to have a change of heart towards a subject, especially when they are exposed to it in a new context. In your case, your decision to explore physics may have sparked your interest in math because it allows you to apply mathematical concepts to real-world problems. This practical application of math can make it more interesting and relevant to your studies.

Additionally, it is possible that your determination to not be "awful" at math anymore is also a motivating factor. Many people struggle with math and it can be frustrating and discouraging. However, with perseverance and a positive attitude, anyone can improve their skills in math. It is possible that your determination to overcome your previous dislike for math has led to a newfound appreciation for the subject.

Lastly, it is important to acknowledge that everyone has their own preferences and interests. It is possible that you have a natural inclination towards complex and challenging concepts, which makes math and physics appealing to you. Embracing this innate curiosity and interest in complicated things can lead to a deeper understanding and enjoyment of math.

In conclusion, it is likely a combination of all these factors that have led to your newfound interest in math. I encourage you to continue exploring and learning about math and physics, as they are fundamental to many scientific disciplines and can open up a world of possibilities for you. Keep up the determination and curiosity, and I am sure you will excel in your studies.

1. Why is math important?

Math is important because it is a fundamental skill that we use in our daily lives. It helps us make sense of the world around us and allows us to solve problems and make decisions based on data and evidence.

2. Why do some people enjoy math?

Some people enjoy math because it can be challenging and rewarding when they solve a difficult problem. Additionally, math is a universal language and provides a sense of logic and structure that can be satisfying to understand.

3. Why do I like math more now than before?

There could be many reasons why you may like math more now than before. Perhaps you have a better understanding of the subject or have found a particular area of math that interests you. It could also be due to a change in your mindset or approach to learning math.

4. Why is math considered a difficult subject?

Math is considered a difficult subject because it requires a lot of abstract thinking, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail. It also builds upon previous concepts, so if there are any gaps in understanding, it can be challenging to catch up.

5. Why is it important to have a positive attitude towards math?

Having a positive attitude towards math can lead to better learning outcomes and overall success in the subject. It can also help reduce anxiety and stress associated with math, making it a more enjoyable experience. Additionally, having a positive attitude can open up new opportunities and careers that require a strong math foundation.