Why Do Longer Wavelengths Go Slower in Glass?

In summary, Feynman's explanations about light are all very good. He has DVDs of all his lectures, and he also has books I could find. He also has lecture videos on these subjects.
exmarine
TL;DR Summary
Thinking about what the Weber telescope might see different than the Hubble. Does the light also get separated into different wavelengths like in a prism?
I reviewed the derivation / solution of that GRT problem and do not see any dependence on the wavelength of the light. Is that correct, or am I missing something?

This makes me wonder about my understanding of how prisms work. How or why do longer wavelengths go slower in glass than shorter wavelength?

Just curious. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Webb telescope.
I don't think prisms have anything to do with GRT.
Thanks for the link.

vanhees71 said:
here's the "classical" explanation for the index of refraction by Feynman:
Feynman's explanations about light are all very good. I have DVDs of all his lectures.

Likes exmarine and vanhees71
exmarine said:
I reviewed the derivation / solution of that GRT problem and do not see any dependence on the wavelength of the light. Is that correct, or am I missing something?
It's correct; light bending by gravity is wavelength independent. That's because it's a property of the geometry of spacetime, which is the same for all wavelengths of light.

exmarine said:
This makes me wonder about my understanding of how prisms work. How or why do longer wavelengths go slower in glass than shorter wavelength?
The effects of prisms are not due to the geometry of spacetime but to the material properties of the prism and its shape. So there is no valid analogy between how prisms work (and refraction of light by material media in general) and light bending by gravity.

• Love
Likes russ_watters, exmarine, vanhees71 and 1 other person
dlgoff said:
Feynman's explanations about light are all very good. I have DVDs of all his lectures.
I've got 7 DVDs; The Character of Physical Law:
small IMG_3744.jpg

Last edited:
I've also have Richard Feynman's Quantum Mechanics lectures:
1) Photons Corpuscles of Light
2) Reflection
3) Electron Interactions
4) Problems in QED and The Standard Model of Particle Physics

edit: I hope I'm not too much off topic here. If so, sorry about that.

Last edited:
I also have all his books I could find.

Likes dlgoff and vanhees71
I decided to check my backup drive to see if I had anything from Richard Feynman and low and behold I found lecture videos on these subjects in a folder (The Character of Physical Law):

Lecture 1 Law of Gravitation
Lecture 2 Relation of Mathematics and Physics
Lecture 3 Great Conservation Principles
Lecture 4 Symmetry in Physical Law
Lecture 5 Distinction of Past and Future
Lecture 6 Probability & Uncertainty-the quantum mechanical view of nature
Lecture 7 Seeking New Laws

edit: I guess these are the same ones I showed in post 7 above.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. Why do longer wavelengths go slower in glass?

Longer wavelengths go slower in glass because of a phenomenon called dispersion. When light enters a material like glass, it interacts with the atoms and molecules in the material. The atoms and molecules absorb and re-emit the light, causing it to slow down. The amount of slowing is dependent on the wavelength of the light. Longer wavelengths have lower energy and are more easily absorbed and re-emitted, resulting in a slower speed.

2. How does the structure of glass affect the speed of light?

The structure of glass plays a crucial role in the speed of light. Glass is made up of a highly ordered arrangement of atoms or molecules, which creates a medium with a high refractive index. This high refractive index causes light to slow down as it passes through, resulting in longer wavelengths traveling at a slower speed.

3. Does the temperature of glass affect the speed of light?

Yes, the temperature of glass can affect the speed of light. As the temperature of glass increases, the atoms and molecules within it vibrate more vigorously. This increased vibration can cause the atoms and molecules to absorb and re-emit light at a faster rate, resulting in a slightly slower speed of light through the material.

4. How do different types of glass affect the speed of light?

The speed of light through glass can vary depending on the type of glass. Different types of glass have different compositions and structures, which can affect how much light is absorbed and re-emitted. For example, lead glass has a higher refractive index than regular glass, causing light to slow down even more as it passes through.

5. Is the speed of light through glass always slower than in a vacuum?

Yes, the speed of light through glass is always slower than in a vacuum. This is because in a vacuum, there are no atoms or molecules to interact with the light, so it travels at its maximum speed. In a material like glass, the atoms and molecules cause the light to slow down, resulting in a lower speed compared to a vacuum.