Why do neutron stars suck the gas from their companions?

In summary, a neutron star has a stronger gravitational field than a regular star due to its much higher mass and smaller size. This allows it to have a stronger pull on its companion star's gas, causing the gas to be funneled onto the neutron star's surface. This can also be facilitated by the neutron star's strong magnetic field. However, this phenomenon is not exclusive to neutron stars and black holes, as white dwarf stars can also siphon material from their companion stars in binary systems. This is due to the differing gravitational potentials of the two companions. The siphoning is not caused by the neutron star or black hole itself, but rather by the evolution of the companion star which causes it to grow and get closer to
TCS
I always here about neutron stars and black holes sucking the gs from their companions. However, a star loses mass before it becomes a neutron star so I don't understand why it afects its neighbor more when it is a neutron star than when it was a regular star.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
not sure I understand your question, but a neutron star has indeed a stronger gravitational field than a regular star. A typical neutron star is about twice the mass of the sun and has a radius of only 12 km. That would result in a very strong gravitational field that electrons can no longer orbit around the nucleus of the atom ant they combine with the proton to form neutrons (hence the name neutron star). This gravity results in an escape velocity of about one third the speed of light and if you were to fall from a height of one meter at the surface of a neutron star you will reach it at a speed of 2000 km PER SECOND. It should be obvious now why a neutron star has much more gravity than a regular one.

Having that said,I should clarify that a neutron does not "suck" mass from every companion star. you can have a regular star orbiting a neutron star or even a black hole peacefully without being sucked in. It's a question of how far the regular star is.

Maybe it is just a bias in the images shown us by astronomers, but I hear and see a lot about neutron stars and black holes sucking matter from other stars, but I almost never hear or see anything about a regular star sucking matter from another regular star.

there is one famous scenario where a white dwarf can suck some mass from a neighboring star which would result in a type 1a supernova. but of course you wouldn't recognize a white dwarf as a "regular star"

the thing is regular stars are very huge in size that in order for them to suck material from other stars they have to come very close to each other that they would practically collapse after a very short time (not very sure of this though)

As far as the neutron star goes hosman described it very accurately. Another way they can siphon material from their companion is via their large and strong magnetic field which will attract some of the particles to be funneled onto te neutron star.

As far as your second question, it is not so much of a bias as much as it is a rareity. Normal main sequence stars generally do not siphon from one another, since they are generally equal in size and mass. Neutron stars and black holes aren't the only objects which draw material from a companion. White dwarf stars, the small dense leftover core from a star, when in a binary system will draw material from the larger star, resulting in a type 1a supernova. If one was to generalize this phenomena, it would be due to the differing gravitational potentials of the two companions, which is why it is less likely for main sequence stars found in binary systems. Hope that helps.

Joe

TCS said:
Maybe it is just a bias in the images shown us by astronomers, but I hear and see a lot about neutron stars and black holes sucking matter from other stars, but I almost never hear or see anything about a regular star sucking matter from another regular star.

If you mean that a regular star is the star on the main sequence, I also have never found something related to this. We usually see a neutron star, or BH or a white dwarf sucking matter from the other star, because they had a faster evolution compared to their companions, thus, when their companions become a Red Giant they suck the RG matter, due to the fact that on the RG phase the radius of the star expands a lot the gravitational attraction is weaker.

Agent M27 said:
As far as the neutron star goes hosman described it very accurately. Another way they can siphon material from their companion is via their large and strong magnetic field which will attract some of the particles to be funneled onto te neutron star.

As far as your second question, it is not so much of a bias as much as it is a rareity. Normal main sequence stars generally do not siphon from one another, since they are generally equal in size and mass. Neutron stars and black holes aren't the only objects which draw material from a companion. White dwarf stars, the small dense leftover core from a star, when in a binary system will draw material from the larger star, resulting in a type 1a supernova. If one was to generalize this phenomena, it would be due to the differing gravitational potentials of the two companions, which is why it is less likely for main sequence stars found in binary systems. Hope that helps.

Joe

So there is nothing about becoming a black hole or a neutron that causes the siphoning?
Does the loss of energy radiating from the star have an affect, since it isn't creating an outward pressure?

Lord, binary stars do this sometimes, and it can be the cause of a (NON SUPER) Nova.

Hi all,

To start with: at the same distance from the center of the neutron star (as long as you are outside the object), the gravitational field of a neutron star is not any stronger than that of its predecessor. At the surface: yes, but that's not what the donor star cares about.

The fact that it 'sucks' gas of its neighbor, is the neighbor's own fault. Because the other star evolves too, it grows. For the outskirts of the donor star, the gas is attracted about as much by its own star, as by the neutron star (or white dwarf, or black hole, a compact object anyway). Then it may be transferred to the neutron star.

This is easier to see, but the bias thing talked about above I think is a little bit overdoing it.

harcel said:
Hi all,

To start with: at the same distance from the center of the neutron star (as long as you are outside the object), the gravitational field of a neutron star is not any stronger than that of its predecessor. At the surface: yes, but that's not what the donor star cares about.

The fact that it 'sucks' gas of its neighbor, is the neighbor's own fault. Because the other star evolves too, it grows. For the outskirts of the donor star, the gas is attracted about as much by its own star, as by the neutron star (or white dwarf, or black hole, a compact object anyway). Then it may be transferred to the neutron star.

This is easier to see, but the bias thing talked about above I think is a little bit overdoing it.

You're right, my perceptions have more to do with my own biases than those of astronomers or of the universe.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100521191622.htm

1. Why do neutron stars suck gas from their companions?

Neutron stars are incredibly dense objects that have a strong gravitational pull. This pull is strong enough to capture gas from their nearby companions, which is why they are often referred to as "stellar vampires."

2. What happens to the gas that is sucked in by neutron stars?

The gas that is captured by neutron stars forms a disk around the star, called an accretion disk. The gas in the disk heats up and emits X-rays, which can be detected by telescopes.

3. Do all neutron stars have companions from which they can suck gas?

Not all neutron stars have companions that they can suck gas from. Neutron stars are often created in supernova explosions, which can leave behind a binary system with a companion star. However, some neutron stars may be isolated and not have a nearby companion.

4. Is the gas being sucked from the companion star a continuous process?

Yes, the gas being sucked from the companion star is a continuous process. As the gas in the accretion disk is consumed, more gas is pulled in from the companion star to replace it.

5. Can the gas being sucked in by a neutron star ever stop?

The gas being pulled into the neutron star can stop if the companion star runs out of gas or if the neutron star's magnetic field becomes too strong. In the latter case, the gas in the accretion disk can be pushed away, causing the process to stop. However, this is a temporary stop and the process can resume if the conditions change again.