Why Do Objects Deform Under Force?

• Thread starter Cookies?
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: In other words, the plank is supporting the weight of the mass. This is not impying that the plank is unable to supply a reaction force, it is supplying an equal and opposite force. However, this force is not enough to completely cancel out the weight of the mass, so the plank will deform until it can fully support the weight. This is due to the elastic properties of the material, and is not related to Newton's 3rd Law.In summary, the net force on an object is not determined solely by the initial force applied, but by all the forces acting on the object. Deformations occur when an object is subjected to a force, and the
Cookies?
Ok, umm these may sound like dumb questions, and I am sorry but here goes. (I think i have a lot of misconceptions)

1. If I push myself against a wall and exert a constant force, the wall will exert a reaction force against me and therefore net force = 0 and no motion. But if I throw myself against the wall, at the instant i hit the wall I'll be pushed back and likely fall over.

This is where I am kind of confused. Regardless of whether I'm applying a constant force or an instantaneous force, won't the reactionary force be the same and hence the net force = 0? Why is it for the latter I will tend to experience a force/acceleration away from the wall (the reactionary force), when it should have been canceled out by the initial force I exerted (i.e net force should be zero?)

2. I was hoping that someone could help me understand how deformations work. This is again related to my understanding of Newton's 3rd Law. Say I place a mass on a wooden plank, the plank will deform until it is bent to support the weight of the mass. Is it right to say that when I first place the mass on the plank, the plank is 'unable' to supply an equal reactionary force to the mass' weight, and hence has to bend until a point where the reaction force is equal to that of the weight?

How does the deformation of the plank in this case help to support the weight of the mass (I assume something to do with tension?), also (if I'm right) why is it that it is initially unable to supply an equal, opposite reaction force? Does this imply that Newton's 3rd Law only applies for 'hard' objects, or those that don't deform?

I'm also thinking that, if on the molecular level, at the point of contact between the mass and the plank, if all the forces on the molecules (I use this for lack of a better word) have equal and opposite reactionary forces, won't deformation not take place at all?

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE

Physics news on Phys.org
In your first question when you are pushing against the wall you are applying a force that counteracts the opposite force from the wall (your muscles are straining against it). When you throw yourself against it this is not the case. The length of time involved is really not important. Imagine you had so something coming up behind you that would counteract the force. You wouldn't bounce off then (but you might get squished!).
In your second question the restoring force increases with the amount of deformation of the plank. Forces are only equal and opposite for static situations, like a weight sitting on a plank.

Cookies? said:
2. ...Is it right to say that when I first place the mass on the plank, the plank is 'unable' to supply an equal reactionary force to the mass' weight, and hence has to bend until a point where the reaction force is equal to that of the weight?

Pretty much, yes.

How does the deformation of the plank in this case help to support the weight of the mass (I assume something to do with tension?), also (if I'm right) why is it that it is initially unable to supply an equal, opposite reaction force? Does this imply that Newton's 3rd Law only applies for 'hard' objects, or those that don't deform?

All objects deform under pressure and, over a very wide range, the amount of force needed to produce the deformation increases with the amount of deformation (google for "modulus of elasticity" for a more complete/accurate description). Thus, "hard" objects are those that require a large force to deform even slightly; push a block of rubber and you can see and feel it compress, but it takes very sensitive instruments to detect the compression of a block of steel under the same force.

In all three cases (my block of rubber and steel, your plank) basically the same thing is happening: We apply a force to the object and it deforms; the more the deformation the more the opposing force; when the opposing force is equal to the applied force we're at equilibrium, no further deformation happens, nothing moves, and Newton's 3d law is saved.

Cookies? said:
Ok, umm these may sound like dumb questions, and I am sorry but here goes. (I think i have a lot of misconceptions)

1. If I push myself against a wall and exert a constant force, the wall will exert a reaction force against me and therefore net force = 0 and no motion. But if I throw myself against the wall, at the instant i hit the wall I'll be pushed back and likely fall over.

This analysis is incorrect. You can't cancel out action and reaction forces like this. The reason the net force is zero is that the floor is pushing you forward and the wall is pushing you back. These are the forces which cancel out and sum to zero. Try pushing on the wall if you are standing on ice.
2. I was hoping that someone could help me understand how deformations work. This is again related to my understanding of Newton's 3rd Law. Say I place a mass on a wooden plank, the plank will deform until it is bent to support the weight of the mass. Is it right to say that when I first place the mass on the plank, the plank is 'unable' to supply an equal reactionary force to the mass' weight, and hence has to bend until a point where the reaction force is equal to that of the weight?
The plank is like a spring (a leaf spring). If you hang a weight from an ordinary spring, the spring will stretch until is develops enough tension to support the weight. The plank does the same thing by bending.

The way the beam works is that the top half of the beam stretches to develop tension, and the bottom half of the beam compresses to develop compression force. This creates a so called bending moment. You need to learn about beam bending to see how this is able to support forces perpendicular to the beam. The stiffer the beam is, the less it has to deform to provide the required bending moment. In the limit of very high stiffness, it doesn't deform at all. None of this has anything to do with the law of action-reaction, since, as I said before, an action force on one body and a corresponding reaction force on another body do not cancel each other (for either body). You need to go back and study the free body diagrams on each of the objects involved in action-reaction to get a correct understanding of how Newton's 3rd law works.

Deformations occur when a force is applied to an object, causing it to change shape or size. This can happen in a number of ways depending on the type of material and the magnitude and direction of the force.

1. In your first question, you are correct that the reactionary force will be the same regardless of whether you apply a constant or instantaneous force. However, the difference lies in the time over which the force is applied. When you push yourself against a wall with a constant force, the wall is able to distribute that force over a larger area, resulting in a smaller pressure on the wall and no motion. But when you throw yourself against the wall, the force is applied over a very short period of time, resulting in a higher pressure on the wall and potentially causing it to deform or break.

2. When you place a mass on a wooden plank, the plank will deform until it reaches a point where the reactionary force from the plank is equal to the weight of the mass. This is due to the properties of the material, such as its elasticity and strength. The deformation of the plank helps to support the weight of the mass by distributing the force over a larger area, reducing the pressure on any one point. This is similar to how a trampoline can support the weight of a person by deforming under their weight.

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This applies to all objects, regardless of whether they are "hard" or "soft". In the case of deformations, the reaction force is equal to the applied force, but it may not be enough to prevent the object from deforming.

On the molecular level, the forces between molecules are constantly changing and are not always equal and opposite. This allows for deformations to occur, as the molecules can shift and move in response to external forces.

In summary, deformations occur when an object is subjected to a force that is greater than its ability to resist. The extent and type of deformation will depend on the properties of the material and the magnitude and direction of the force. I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of deformations.

Related to Why Do Objects Deform Under Force?

1. How do deformations occur?

Deformations occur when a material is subjected to external forces, such as tension, compression, twisting, or bending. These forces cause the material to change shape and size.

2. What factors affect the extent of deformations?

The extent of deformations is affected by several factors, including the type and magnitude of the external forces, the properties of the material, and the temperature at which the deformation occurs.

3. Can all materials be deformed?

Yes, all materials can be deformed to some extent. However, the amount of deformation that a material can undergo before it breaks or becomes permanently damaged varies depending on its properties and structure.

4. How is the behavior of deformations studied?

The behavior of deformations is studied through the field of mechanics, specifically the subfield of solid mechanics. This involves analyzing the relationship between external forces, material properties, and deformation patterns to understand how the material responds to different conditions.

5. How are deformations used in practical applications?

Deformations are used in many practical applications, such as in engineering and construction, to design and build structures that can withstand external forces without breaking. They are also important in fields like biomechanics and materials science, where understanding how materials deform can help in developing new products and technologies.