Why do you put up with Windows?

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, this article was just posted on slashdot: With all the problems associated with windows why do you still use it? Windows allows me to play games, use my webcam, etc. Not to mention lots of other proprietary software, and my Matlab and Mathematica licenses are for Windows only. Until another OS supports all the stuff I need to do, Windows will stay on that workstation. Linux is not a solution. OS X is on my Powerbook, but I could transfer the licenses, but it sure wouldn't be to Linux.
Anttech said:
Interesting, I didnt realize that 70 Y/O mothers where the mainstream computer users, if you find a 3 button mouse difficult I think you will find any OS difficult to master... From Fedora core to OSX

How is fedora on the opposite end from OS X?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Anyway,the reasons the article mentions for ditching windows are just B.S.
I use Win9x S.E on an ole 800MHz PC and have never had a problem with worms/trojans etc.
You need not dwnld all the patches/upgrades if you are just using it for home purposes.

How is fedora on the opposite end from OS X?

I never sated a scale... I was mearly making a point, which I hope you got

faust9 said:
This one of the biggest chunks of FUD floating around about *nix. Install Suse and you'll see it's as user unfriendly as windows(get a mac for usability IMO).
buddy.. i tried installing linux once, but that was inviting more of problems.. maybe that was coz of my faults.. but i have installed and re-installed windows so many times without a problem..
but what i feel like knowing is that why do we actually need to shift to linux or any open source.. i mean who actually would benefit.

tarunjot said:
buddy.. i tried installing linux once, but that was inviting more of problems.. maybe that was coz of my faults.. but i have installed and re-installed windows so many times without a problem..
but what i feel like knowing is that why do we actually need to shift to linux or any open source.. i mean who actually would benefit.

Again, more FUD. Did you try to install Suse? Installing Linux runns the gammit from the most difficult build from source distros (LFS) the the easy (Suse, Mandrake, Linspire).

Heck, Debian with it's graphical install is as easy as Windows. Answer the questions and it installs.

As for why opensource? Well, this website uses php--you benefit. I dare say the host for this site runs apache on an open OS--you benefit. The latex equation ability of this site is open (well, latex is from what I understand it's use on this site is not in an of itself an open project) you benefit. If you want to minimize your chances of getting a WINDOWS VIRUS download the open project firefox and its mail counterpart thunderbird--you benefit.

If you really don't think there is a benefit to OSS then you should start consulting all of the companies migrating to this form of software development. Oh, and don't forget to tell adobe to lockdown the PDF format while your at it. OSS works and benefits you because a lot of the projects are taken up as labors of love and the partcipants are willing to spend many sleepless nights solving a bug or patching a security hole; whereas windows is retisent to even admit it has these hols (Gartner just critiqued MS for spending too much time telling people flaws are not in fact flaws instead of admitting to these security holes and telling people how to avoid them).

Hey, if you want to keep your virus/trojan box by all means feel free. My Mac runs fine w/o a virus detector and so does my Gentoo box(both are open source: the Mac kernel and all of the software on my Gentoo box).

Anttech said:
bah, with the 1 button mouse, why on Earth do they bundle those with the hardware if they want to be taken seriously
Exactly how is the 1-button mouse not serious and a 2-button mouse is?

Are you saying that pressing down ctrl when you click is hard? Isn't it serious enough for you?

The serious, professional users will 90% of the time use keyboard-shortcuts which are much faster than right-click -> menu -> click.

And, if it really is that big of a problem get a 15-button mouse, install USBOverdrive and configure your mouse-buttons to write mathematical theorems for you.

The "lol 1 butan"-argument has to be the weakest argument I've ever heard against Macs.

tarunjot said:

Moreover, how much easier do you wnat linux installation to be? http://www.mepis.org/book/view/7

There are a lot of linux distros which are liveCD(boot and run OS from CD in about 5 minutes) which allow the OS to install AFTER you boot to an operating OS. Imagine booting up, selecting install, going online, reading e-mail, writing a technical document playing a game or whatever you want to do in 5 minutes(not counting the time to burn the ISO).

Last edited by a moderator:
Anttech said:
Interesting, I didnt realize that 70 Y/O mothers where the mainstream computer users, if you find a 3 button mouse difficult I think you will find any OS difficult to master... From Fedora core to OSX

Again, you have not shown how more buttons equals more usability. More buttons=more confusion for neophytes. 90% of my computer needs are met with one button. the other 10% I can accomplish by pressing the apple or option or ctrl keys, or simply clicking on an appropriate icon using the one button.

I'll give you more buttons helps in professional applications like autocad or even adobe apps but professionals usually purchase the correct hardware tools to accompany their software ie wacom tablets(why don't PC's come with these they are useful).

I have yet to be slowed down because of my 1 button (I do have a 6x8 intiuos for high end apps) mouse. My average computer needs are more than met with the 1 button mouse--e-mail, net, word processing, matlab/maple, etc.

More buttons=more confusion for neophytes. 90% of my computer needs are met with one button

Interesting, funny but interesting... Where did you pluck 90% from?

Exactly how is the 1-button mouse not serious and a 2-button mouse is?
just my opinion... I would prefer more useability over the looks of my hardware...

Anyway sorry if I offened anyone, I just don't like Macs, I have used them many times, and I always end up just doing almost everything I have to via the shell on OSx

Because I play computer games. And I hate the Mac OS.

faust9 said:
Again, more FUD. Did you try to install Suse? Installing Linux runns the gammit from the most difficult build from source distros (LFS) the the easy (Suse, Mandrake, Linspire).

Heck, Debian with it's graphical install is as easy as Windows. Answer the questions and it installs.

As for why opensource? Well, this website uses php--you benefit. I dare say the host for this site runs apache on an open OS--you benefit. The latex equation ability of this site is open (well, latex is from what I understand it's use on this site is not in an of itself an open project) you benefit. If you want to minimize your chances of getting a WINDOWS VIRUS download the open project firefox and its mail counterpart thunderbird--you benefit.

If you really don't think there is a benefit to OSS then you should start consulting all of the companies migrating to this form of software development. Oh, and don't forget to tell adobe to lockdown the PDF format while your at it. OSS works and benefits you because a lot of the projects are taken up as labors of love and the partcipants are willing to spend many sleepless nights solving a bug or patching a security hole; whereas windows is retisent to even admit it has these hols (Gartner just critiqued MS for spending too much time telling people flaws are not in fact flaws instead of admitting to these security holes and telling people how to avoid them).

Hey, if you want to keep your virus/trojan box by all means feel free. My Mac runs fine w/o a virus detector and so does my Gentoo box(both are open source: the Mac kernel and all of the software on my Gentoo box).

Thanx for clarifying all my doubts dear.. Real enlightened in this regards now! o:)