Why do you some time only hear the bass when listening to music

• Thread starter g.lemaitre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music Time
In summary, when music is playing next door, the bass may be more audible because its longer wavelengths can penetrate walls more easily compared to higher frequency sounds. Additionally, high frequency sounds experience more friction and tend to travel shorter distances, while low frequency sounds can travel longer distances and pass through more objects. This explains why animals like bats and whales use different frequencies for communication and echolocation.
g.lemaitre
Sometimes when music is playing next door you can only hear the bass. Why? This website likes people to make a guess so here's my shot. Perhaps the bass is on a wavelength that can penetrate walls better. I'm not sure why it is equally as loud as the treble or the other sounds when you're in the same room, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know, I've always wondered this myself. Here's what I know:

Some of the deeper bass notes have wavelengths which are several feet long. I know, but can't tell you how I know, that wavelengths can pass through objects so long as the wavelength is longer than the object (I don't know if density matters).

In other words, the wavelengths of the deep bass sounds of a dubstep track, for example, could be say 30 feet. If your wall is 1 foot thick, the wavelength will easily pass through your walls yet reflect the treble notes which have wavelengths a foot or less.

Because sound is a pressure wave (air molecules experience compression and rarefaction), and because high frequency sounds carry more energy than low frequency sounds (the air particles "wobble" more) there is more friction experienced in the high frequency sound wave vs the low. Thus, the friction mutes treble notes considerably faster than it does bass notes.

In short, high frequency sounds travel shorter distances but reflect off surfaces, whereas low frequency sounds travel longer distances and pass through more objects.

This is why a bat will use high pitched squeeks to echolocate while a whale will sing ultra-low songs to communicate over hundreds of miles. If this was reversed, the bat would never catch anything smaller than a hippopotamus and the dense salt water would prevent a mother whale from communicating with her calf a few feet away.

Last edited:
great answer, I really appreciate it, thanks

1. Why do some people only hear the bass when listening to music?

This phenomenon is known as "bass bias" and it occurs because our ears are more sensitive to low frequencies. This means that we are more likely to notice and pay attention to the bass in music compared to other frequencies. Additionally, bass frequencies have a stronger physical impact on our bodies, making them more noticeable and enjoyable.

2. Is it normal to only hear the bass in music?

Yes, it is completely normal to primarily hear the bass in music. As mentioned before, our ears are naturally more sensitive to low frequencies, so it is not uncommon for people to focus on the bass when listening to music. However, if you are experiencing extreme difficulty in hearing other frequencies, it may be worth consulting a doctor to rule out any hearing impairments.

3. Why do some songs have stronger bass than others?

The amount of bass in a song is dependent on the production and mixing of the song. Some songs are intentionally mixed to have a stronger bass presence, while others may have a more balanced frequency range. It also depends on the type of music and the instruments used in the song. For example, hip hop and electronic music tend to have heavier bass compared to acoustic or classical music.

4. Can hearing only the bass in music cause damage to my ears?

This depends on the volume at which you are listening to the music. If the bass is extremely loud and you are constantly exposed to it, it can potentially cause damage to your ears. It is important to listen to music at a safe and moderate volume to protect your hearing.

5. How can I train myself to hear all frequencies in music?

There are various exercises and techniques that can help train your ear to hear all frequencies in music. One way is to practice listening to different types of music with a variety of frequency ranges. You can also try using equalizer settings to adjust the levels of different frequencies in a song. Additionally, taking breaks from listening to music and giving your ears time to rest can also improve your ability to hear different frequencies.