1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does air escape through a pinched ballon?

1. Apr 20, 2010 #1
    Hello guys,

This is simple question but I have gone completely blank. Ok let's say there was a balloon outside that was inflated. This means that it has expandes so it's pressure is equivalent to atmpospheric pressure right?

So when I pinch it why does air escape, how does balloon suddenly have higher pressure to make air move out? Is pinching the balloon equivalent to making the volume of the ballon smaller. Thanks :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2010 #2
    I believe the answer to this question isn't about the atmospheric pressure, but about the force that the elasticity of the rubber of the balloon has on the air. What happens when you stretch the rubber and let it go? It returns back to its original shape right? The same thing in this case. The expansion of the rubber is just stretching it, so when it has the opportunity, the balloon will go back to its original shape and size, thus pushing out the air.

4. Apr 20, 2010 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The answer to this question is all about pressure. The pressure inside a balloon is not equal to the atmospheric pressure. In particular,
    This is not correct.

5. Apr 21, 2010 #4
    I have heard the same thing before (pressure inside a balloon= pressure outside), from a physics teacher or something like this...so I'm not surprised that OP is asking this question. I was wondering the same thing.

I think I resolved it to myself by dismissing what the physics teacher said as BS, though. Sure the balloon expanded, but the expanded balloon is nevertheless pressing on the air inside of it, so surely the pressure must be higher.

6. Apr 21, 2010 #5

SpectraCat

Science Advisor

Yup .. the internal pressure must be higher to balance both the external pressure + the "surface pressure" from the elastic material of the balloon. This latter term is directly proportional to the surface tension, and inversely proportional to the radius (assuming a spherical shape).

7. Apr 21, 2010 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Note, it does depend on the type of balloon.

8. Apr 22, 2010 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you took a deflated balloon up into space (assume ambient pressure is zero). Let a small amount of air into the balloon. It will inflate until the pressure balances. It could well burst if you put 'too much' air in but, if it settles down, the pressure inside will be finite and the pressure outside will be zero. The pressure inside is due, entirely, to the forces of tension in the balloon membrane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook