Why does automatic emergency braking not work in all speeds?

In summary: For ACC, I don't know about actual systems automakers use, but I got a theoretical value:The 77-GHz Autocruise radar system made by TRW has a forward-looking range of up to 492 feet (150 meters)Since acc works at very high speeds, and can detect cars far enough for it to slow down and keep the distance you chose, and not just barely avoid the car in front, then it must have a high detection range. AEB detection range is up to 200...
techniker
Adaptive/active/radar cruise control (Update: It is not adaptive cruise control. It is automatic emergency braking) works only at or below 50 miles (per hour) in some high end cars like range rover, and even below that in other cars.
Does anyone know why?Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
First, there are a few companies that produce ACC for the automobile industry, so they may not all be the same.
If you mean 50mph (not 50 miles), it could be that the car is aware of the speed limit and keeps to that limit.

.Scott said:
First, there are a few companies that produce ACC for the automobile industry, so they may not all be the same.
If you mean 50mph (not 50 miles), it could be that the car is aware of the speed limit and keeps to that limit.
Yes, 50 mph.
I have to find the source where I got the info from, and till then please forget about my question.
Thanks

The thread is wrong. It is not adaptive cruise. It is automatic emergency braking. Watch the video at 1:18.

techniker said:
I have to find the source where I got the info from, and till then please forget about my question.
Thanks
The one you mentioned from the Range Rover was likely built by Delphi Automotive.
DSC00551.jpg

Other makers are: Autoliv, Continental, Magna International, Valeo, Hyundai Mobis, VBOX Automotive, Mando, Robert Bosch, ZF-TRW, TRW Automotive, WABCO and Denso.
And then, the radar model can be adapted for a particular auto maker. So there is no reason to believe that they will perform in the same way.
The best source for what the unit does would be the Car's Owner's Manual.

Attachments

• DSC00551.jpg
    DSC00551.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,124
.Scott said:
The one you mentioned from the Range Rover was likely built by Delphi Automotive.
View attachment 213291
Other makers are: Autoliv, Continental, Magna International, Valeo, Hyundai Mobis, VBOX Automotive, Mando, Robert Bosch, ZF-TRW, TRW Automotive, WABCO and Denso.
And then, the radar model can be adapted for a particular auto maker. So there is no reason to believe that they will perform in the same way.
The best source for what the unit does would be the Car's Owner's Manual.
Thanks for the info.

techniker said:
works only at or below 50 miles (per hour) in some high end cars like range rover, and even below that in other cars.
It may be a limitation of the sensors, or some liability issue that the car manufacturers are worried about...

http://www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au/aeb/
What is AEB?
Auto Emergency Braking (AEB) is a feature that alerts a driver to an imminent crash and helps them use the maximum braking capacity of the car. AEB will independently brake if the situation becomes critical and no human response is made. AEB comes in three categories:

• Low speed system – works on city streets to detect other vehicles in front of your car to prevent crashes and non-life threatening injuries such as whiplash
  • Higher speed system – scans up to 200 metres ahead using long range radar at higher speeds
  • Pedestrian system – detects pedestrian movement in relation to the path of the vehicle to determine the risk of collision
Front collision warning systems vary between manufacturers – and even models. Some vehicles feature two or more AEB systems.

berkeman said:
It may be a limitation of the sensors, or some liability issue that the car manufacturers are worried about...

http://www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au/aeb/

If adaptive cruise control works at very high speeds, why can't automatic emergency braking do it? Don't they use the same sensor/radar?

techniker said:
If adaptive cruise control works at very high speeds, why can't automatic emergency braking do it? Don't they use the same sensor/radar?
What's adaptive cruise control? I'm guessing it uses sensors to help follow another car? That only has to work for a few 10s of meters, not for 100s of meters...

berkeman said:
What's adaptive cruise control? I'm guessing it uses sensors to help follow another car? That only has to work for a few 10s of meters, not for 100s of meters...

Does not acc let you select a certain distance between you and a potential, not yet existing, car, and then whenever your car detects another car at that distance away, it will slow down. I don't know.
Check the video at 1:17

What is your reply to my comment about the different distances involved between the two systems?

berkeman said:
What is your reply to my comment about the different distances involved between the two systems?

Yes sorry I didn't reply.
For ACC, I don't know about actual systems automakers use, but I got a theoretical value:
The 77-GHz Autocruise radar system made by TRW has a forward-looking range of up to 492 feet (150 meters)

Last edited:
techniker said:
Since acc works at very high speeds, and can detect cars far enough for it to slow down and keep the distance you chose, and not just barely avoid the car in front, then it must have a high detection range.
I'm not sure why you say that. When the cars are linked with ACC, I don't think the following distance is all that far...

techniker said:
Yes, they use the very same sensor.
For the Autoliv 77GHz Gen 1.2, the range is 160 meters.

The range of the radar is actually a function of the software loaded onto the radar. The MMIC (the component that actually works at 77GHz) can be programmed to transmit different radar signals. There are trade offs between range resolution, range limit, Doppler resolution, azimuth resolution, etc.

But once a trade-off is made, it applies to all applications running on that sensor (ACC, Braking, Lane assist, BSM, PSIS, etc.).

Older units use 24GHz.

techniker said:
The thread is wrong. It is not adaptive cruise. It is automatic emergency braking. Watch the video at 1:18.
This is a camera system, not a radar system.
Part of the problem at higher speeds is that it may be reacting to something on the side of the road.
The worse thing it could do is apply the brakes just as you need to turn to keep in your lane.

berkeman said:
I'm not sure why you say that. When the cars are linked with ACC, I don't think the following distance is all that far...

Do you have to link with an existing car?

.Scott said:
This is a camera system, not a radar system.
Part of the problem at higher speeds is that it may be reacting to something on the side of the road.
The worse thing it could do is apply the brakes just as you need to turn to keep in your lane.

A camera? Yes you are right, I just realized this. Why would they use a camera?
I will look into whether other makers use radars.

techniker said:
A camera? Yes you are right, I just realized this.
I will look into whether other makers use radars.
Most of the time radar it used because it supports many features, can be hidden behind the fascia, and is a bit more resilient to dirt and weather conditions.

Likes techniker
berkeman said:
techniker said:
Do you have to link with an existing car?
The "link" he's talking about is just one vehicle tracking the one in front of it.
Currently, consumer vehicles do not share navigation data with each other.

Likes berkeman
Our car has an ultrasonic 'park assist' system that doubles as a 'mishap mitigator'. Translated, if the 4+4 sensors spot something, they'll squawk and red-flag their neat display. If 'urgent', the system will auto-apply the anti-skid brakes, harder and faster than a human.

It is meant to mitigate 'fender benders', brake for jay-walkers etc. It WILL slam-on for a wind-swayed kerb-side bush or low-flying trash-bag. Fortunately, the traffic was sparse enough that we weren't rear-ended...

An unexpected facility is its 'gap keeping' alert. This warns that, given your speed, you're getting too close to the vehicle in front. It will also warn that you're being tail-gated. When a 'rear quarter' sounds off, you know the vehicle that just changed lanes really did come too close for comfort...

1. Why is automatic emergency braking not effective at high speeds?

Automatic emergency braking relies on sensors to detect objects in the vehicle's path and apply the brakes if the driver does not respond. At high speeds, the vehicle may cover a significant distance in a short amount of time, making it difficult for the sensors to accurately detect and respond to objects. Additionally, the braking system may not be able to stop the vehicle quickly enough at high speeds to prevent a collision.

2. Can automatic emergency braking be disabled at high speeds?

Many vehicles have a system in place that disables automatic emergency braking at high speeds to prevent false alarms and unnecessary braking. This is because the system may mistake harmless objects such as road signs or overpasses for potential collisions, leading to unnecessary braking and potentially causing accidents.

3. Why does automatic emergency braking sometimes fail to detect objects at low speeds?

The effectiveness of automatic emergency braking can vary depending on factors such as weather conditions, lighting, and the size and shape of objects. In some cases, the sensors may not be able to detect smaller objects or objects that are partially hidden, leading to a failure to activate the braking system.

4. Is automatic emergency braking safe to use in all situations?

Automatic emergency braking is not a foolproof system and should not be relied upon as the sole means of avoiding collisions. It is still important for drivers to remain alert and vigilant while driving and to use other safe driving practices, such as maintaining a safe following distance, to prevent accidents.

5. Can the effectiveness of automatic emergency braking be improved?

As technology advances, the effectiveness of automatic emergency braking is constantly being improved. Manufacturers are working to develop more advanced sensors and algorithms that can detect and respond to objects more accurately and quickly, making the system more effective at preventing collisions in a wider range of driving conditions.