Why does Δx tend to 0 when Δu tends to 0 in the chain rule?

In summary, the conversation discusses the chain rule in calculus and a specific proof presented in a book that leads to confusion. The example of y=u^n and u=3x-2 is used to show the relationship between u and x and how changes in x affect changes in u. However, the proof presented is not a general one and only applies to the specific example given. The conversation concludes with the understanding of the proof and the appreciation for the input provided.
cupu
Hello,

Looking through a book on calculus I found the following explanation for the chain rule and I have one unclear thing that I'd like to ask for help on.

The canonical example is used, y is a function of u: [tex]y = u^{n}[/tex] and u is a function of x (let's say) [tex]u = 3x - 2[/tex] therefore by composition y is a function of x.

By the definition of the derivative:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \lim_{\Delta x\to0}{\frac{f(x+\Delta x) - f(x)}{\Delta x}}[/tex]
we can say that
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \lim_{\Delta x\to0}{\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}}[/tex]

in the same way that
[tex]\frac{dy}{du} = \lim_{\Delta u\to0}{\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta u}}[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{du}{dx} = \lim_{\Delta x\to0}{\frac{\Delta u}{\Delta x}}[/tex]

Then, using the equation:
[tex]\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta u} \cdot \frac{\Delta u}{\Delta x}[/tex]

we can write

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \lim_{\Delta x\to0}\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \lim_{\Delta x\to0}(\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta u} \cdot \frac{\Delta u}{\Delta x}) = \lim_{\Delta x\to0}\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta u}\lim_{\Delta x\to0}\frac{\Delta u}{\Delta x}[/tex]

then it is said that "However because u is a function of x, [tex]\Delta x \rightarrow 0[/tex] exactly when [tex]\Delta u \rightarrow 0[/tex] so

[tex]\lim_{\Delta x\to0}\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta u} \lim_{\Delta x\to0}\frac{\Delta u}{\Delta x} = \lim_{\Delta u\to0}\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta u}\lim_{\Delta x\to0}\frac{\Delta u}{\Delta x} = \frac{dy}{du} \cdot \frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

And so the chain rule.

The part in red is the one I couldn't understand, specifically why does [tex]\Delta x \rightarrow 0[/tex] exactly when [tex]\Delta u \rightarrow 0[/tex] ?

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Buy another, more rigorous book.

"Proofs" like this want to make me rip my hair out.

cupu said:
Hello,

Looking through a book on calculus I found the following explanation for the chain rule and I have one unclear thing that I'd like to ask for help on.

The canonical example is used, y is a function of u: [tex]y = u^{n}[/tex] and u is a function of x (let's say) [tex]u = 3x - 2[/tex] therefore by composition y is a function of x.

By the definition of the derivative:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \lim_{\Delta x\to0}{\frac{f(x+\Delta x) - f(x)}{\Delta x}}[/tex]
we can say that
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \lim_{\Delta x\to0}{\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}}[/tex]

in the same way that
[tex]\frac{dy}{du} = \lim_{\Delta u\to0}{\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta u}}[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{du}{dx} = \lim_{\Delta x\to0}{\frac{\Delta u}{\Delta x}}[/tex]

Then, using the equation:
[tex]\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta u} \cdot \frac{\Delta u}{\Delta x}[/tex]

we can write

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \lim_{\Delta x\to0}\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \lim_{\Delta x\to0}(\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta u} \cdot \frac{\Delta u}{\Delta x}) = \lim_{\Delta x\to0}\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta u}\lim_{\Delta x\to0}\frac{\Delta u}{\Delta x}[/tex]

then it is said that "However because u is a function of x, [tex]\Delta x \rightarrow 0[/tex] exactly when [tex]\Delta u \rightarrow 0[/tex] so

[tex]\lim_{\Delta x\to0}\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta u} \lim_{\Delta x\to0}\frac{\Delta u}{\Delta x} = \lim_{\Delta u\to0}\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta u}\lim_{\Delta x\to0}\frac{\Delta u}{\Delta x} = \frac{dy}{du} \cdot \frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

And so the chain rule.

The part in red is the one I couldn't understand, specifically why does [tex]\Delta x \rightarrow 0[/tex] exactly when [tex]\Delta u \rightarrow 0[/tex] ?

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers!

Yes, "u" is a function of "x". This implies that u is dependent on x and x is
an independent variable. Now since u depends on x, any change in x
produces a change in u. But if x does not change, there will be no
"CHANGE" in the dependent variable u.
:)

Or,
Δu = Δf(x)
Δu = [3*(x+Δx) - 2] - [3*x - 2]
Δu = 3*Δx
now if Δx→0
then Δu→0.

Hope this helps.
:)

cupu said:
That particular ##\Delta u## is defined by ##\Delta u=u(x+\Delta x)-u(x)##. Clearly ##\Delta x=0## implies ##\Delta u=0##. The converse implication is explained here. However, I agree with micromass. This isn't the way to prove the chain rule. The problem is that ##\Delta u## is defined as I said when it appears in a numerator but not when it appears in a denominator.

The Wikipedia page has some short proofs, but I think I still prefer to prove it directly from the definitions, without the tricks that are used in the Wikipedia proofs. Unfortunately such a proof is about 2-3 pages long if all the details are explained.

Last edited:
@micromass
@spamiam
Thanks for the replies, I've seen other proofs which I've been able to workout on paper and those make sense, I just got really hung up on this specific 'proof' because I couldn't make sense of the red part.

@sahil_time
@Fredrik
Thank you! I though that the 'proof' presented in the book was for the general case and it didn't make sense so I didn't bother to work it out on paper, I can see now it was strictly (well .. more or less) related to the example provided; sorry for wasting your time, it's clear now!

So with that being said, my problem is resolved, the input was great, thanks a lot!

Cheers!

Related to Why does Δx tend to 0 when Δu tends to 0 in the chain rule?

1. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of complex functions by breaking them down into simpler functions. This is especially useful in physics and engineering, where many physical quantities are modeled using composite functions.

3. How do you apply the chain rule?

To apply the chain rule, you first identify the inner and outer functions in the given composite function. Then, you take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. This can be written as (outer function)' x (inner function)'.

4. Can you give an example of applying the chain rule?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = (x^2 + 3)^5. The inner function is x^2 + 3 and the outer function is x^5. To find the derivative, we first take the derivative of the outer function, which is 5x^4. Then, we multiply it by the derivative of the inner function, which is 2x. Therefore, f'(x) = 5x^4 x 2x = 10x^5.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using the chain rule?

Yes, one common mistake is forgetting to apply the chain rule and instead simply taking the derivative of the entire function. This can lead to incorrect results. It's important to identify the inner and outer functions and apply the chain rule accordingly.