Why does (e^{i\alpha})^2 always equal 1?

In summary, when an expression such as e^{i\alpha}, where alpha is an angle in polar coordinates, is squared, the resulting expression goes to unity. However, this does not necessarily mean that alpha is a multiple of pi. It could also be an arbitrary real number. The notation |e^{i\alpha}|^2 indicates the square-modulus of a complex quantity, rather than just the square. This means that e^{i\alpha} can be multiplied by its complex conjugate to equal 1, allowing alpha to be any real number.
Piano man
In solutions to a problem I was working on, I saw that when an expression such as [tex]e^{i\alpha}[/tex] , alpha being an angle (in polar coordinates), was squared, the expression goes to unity, ie [tex](e^{i\alpha})^2=1[/tex]
But I see no reason to think that [tex]\alpha[/tex] is a multiple of [tex]\pi[/tex].
Could there be any other reason why it would be 1?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Piano man said:
In solutions to a problem I was working on, I saw that when an expression such as [tex]e^{i\alpha}[/tex] , alpha being an angle (in polar coordinates), was squared, the expression goes to unity, ie [tex](e^{i\alpha})^2=1[/tex]
But I see no reason to think that [tex]\alpha[/tex] is a multiple of [tex]\pi[/tex].

Since [tex](e^{i\alpha})^2=1[/tex]
[tex]e^{i\alpha} = \pm 1[/tex]
so [itex]\alpha = k \pi~ \text{for some integer k}[/itex]

Piano man said:

I don't think it actually said: [tex](e^{i\alpha})^2=1[/tex]

I'll bet what it said was: [tex]|e^{i\alpha}|^2=1[/tex]

That notation indicates the square-modulus of a complex quantity, rather than just the square. In other words:

[tex]|e^{i\alpha}|^2=(e^{i\alpha})(e^{i\alpha})^\star=e^{i\alpha}e^{-i\alpha}=1[/tex]

Thus [tex]\alpha[/tex] can still be an arbitrary real number (it cannot be an imaginary number).

Ah! That's probably right - thank you :D

The reason why the expression (e^{i\alpha})^2=1 is equal to 1 is due to the properties of complex numbers and the definition of the imaginary unit i. In complex numbers, the imaginary unit i is defined as the square root of -1, which means that i^2=-1. Therefore, when we square e^{i\alpha}, we get (e^{i\alpha})^2=e^{i\alpha} \cdot e^{i\alpha}=e^{2i\alpha}. Using the definition of i, we can rewrite this as e^{2i\alpha}=(e^{i\alpha})^2=(-1)^2=1. This is true for any value of \alpha, whether it is a multiple of \pi or not.

In other words, the squaring of e^{i\alpha} is not related to the value of \alpha being a multiple of \pi, but rather it is a consequence of the properties of complex numbers. This result can also be seen geometrically, as squaring a complex number corresponds to rotating it by twice the angle \alpha, which results in a full rotation of 360 degrees or 2\pi radians, bringing the complex number back to its original position.

Therefore, there is no other reason why the expression (e^{i\alpha})^2 would be equal to 1 other than the properties of complex numbers and the definition of i. This result is fundamental in complex analysis and has many applications in mathematics and physics.

1. What does it mean to square an imaginary exponent?

Squaring an imaginary exponent means raising it to the power of 2. This involves multiplying the imaginary number by itself, just like squaring a real number.

2. How do you square an imaginary exponent?

To square an imaginary exponent, you can use the property of exponents that states: (a^b)^c = a^(b*c). In other words, you can multiply the exponents together to find the new exponent for the base number.

3. What is the result of squaring an imaginary exponent?

The result of squaring an imaginary exponent is a real number. This is because when you multiply an imaginary number by itself, the imaginary units cancel out and you are left with only real numbers.

4. Can you square an imaginary number?

No, you cannot square an imaginary number. Imaginary numbers are not real numbers and do not follow the same rules of arithmetic. However, you can square the imaginary exponent of a number.

5. How is squaring an imaginary exponent used in science?

Squaring an imaginary exponent is used in many areas of science, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. It is used in calculations involving complex numbers, which are often used to represent physical quantities such as electrical currents and wave functions.