Why does my textbook say the KE acquired by an object is m to the power zero?

In summary, the book says that the greater the mass, the greater the kinetic energy. However, when applying this information to the problem, it is not clear which other quantities are dependent on mass.
Rongeet Banerjee
Homework Statement
The kinetic energy acquired by a mass m in travelling distance d, starting from rest,under the action of a constant force is directly proportional to
1.m
2.m to the power 0
3.m to the power 0.5
4.m to the power -0.5
Relevant Equations
1/2m(v² -u²)=F*d
F=m*a
v²-u²=2a*d
Initial velocity u=0
Let Final velocity be v
Then, KE acquired by the object=1/2mv²
So the answer must be option1 i.e. m¹
But my textbook says the answer is- m to the power zero.Please explain this discrepancy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rongeet Banerjee said:
Homework Statement:: The kinetic energy acquired by a mass m in traveling distance d, starting from rest,under the action of a constant force is directly proportional to
1.m
2.m to the power 0
3.m to the power 0.5
4.m to the power -0.5
Relevant Equations:: 1/2m(v² -u²)=F*d
F=m*a
v²-u²=2a*d

Initial velocity u=0
Let Final velocity be v
But my textbook says the answer is- m to the power zero.Please explain this discrepancy.
Your answer says that the greater the mass the greater the kinetic energy. Is this what you mean?

How do you interpret the book's answer?

Likes Rongeet Banerjee
Rongeet Banerjee said:
Homework Statement:: The kinetic energy acquired by a mass m in traveling distance d, starting from rest,under the action of a constant force is directly proportional to
1.m
2.m to the power 0
3.m to the power 0.5
4.m to the power -0.5
Relevant Equations:: 1/2m(v² -u²)=F*d
F=m*a
v²-u²=2a*d

Initial velocity u=0
Let Final velocity be v
You must look at how the KE changes if the mass changes, assuming that the force and distances remain the same. How does the value of the KE change if you change the mass but keep F and d the same?

If it is not clear, try with some number, say F=10 N and d=20 meters. Assume m= 4 kg. What is the kinetic energy acquired? Now if you have a mass of 8kg, what will be the change of KE this time?

Likes Rongeet Banerjee
Part of the issue seems to be in determining which other quantities are dependent on mass. For a fixed velocity, KE is indeed proportional to ##m##. But in this problem, the acceleration and by extension the velocity after any given distance is also related to the mass.

You want to find a relation in which everything apart from KE (and ##m##) is independent of ##m##.

Likes Rongeet Banerjee
Thank You verrrrrrrrry much nrqed 😁.
That was a fantastic explanation.Miraculous .I Love Physics...

1586639147301417761762.jpg

Likes nrqed
PeroK said:
Your answer says that the greater the mass the greater the kinetic energy. Is this what you mean?

How do you interpret the book's answer?
Now I get it.Thank You for your help.

Likes PeroK
etotheipi said:
Part of the issue seems to be in determining which other quantities are dependent on mass. For a fixed velocity, KE is indeed proportional to ##m##. But in this problem, the acceleration and by extension the velocity after any given distance is also related to the mass.

You want to find a relation in which everything apart from KE (and ##m##) is independent of ##m##.
Yeah

Uhmm ... E = F d. Neither F nor d depend on mass. QED.

Likes GiriBang

Related to Why does my textbook say the KE acquired by an object is m to the power zero?

1. Why is the kinetic energy acquired by an object represented as m0 in textbooks?

In most cases, the kinetic energy acquired by an object is represented as m0 in textbooks because it is assumed that the mass of the object remains constant throughout its motion. This means that the mass does not contribute to the change in kinetic energy, and therefore, it is raised to the power of zero.

2. Does this mean that the mass of an object has no effect on its kinetic energy?

No, the mass of an object still has an effect on its kinetic energy. However, in the equation for kinetic energy (KE = 1/2 * m * v2), the mass only affects the value of the kinetic energy if it is changing. If the mass remains constant, it can be raised to any power, including zero, without affecting the final result.

3. Can the kinetic energy of an object change if its mass remains constant?

Yes, the kinetic energy of an object can change even if its mass remains constant. This is because kinetic energy is also dependent on the velocity of the object. If the velocity changes, the kinetic energy will also change, regardless of the mass remaining constant.

4. Is there ever a case where the mass of an object does not remain constant and therefore cannot be raised to the power of zero?

Yes, there are cases where the mass of an object is not constant and cannot be raised to the power of zero. For example, if the mass of the object is changing due to a chemical reaction or if the object is losing mass due to friction or air resistance, the mass cannot be represented as m0 and must be included in the calculation of kinetic energy.

5. How does the representation of kinetic energy as m0 affect the overall equation and calculations?

The representation of kinetic energy as m0 does not affect the overall equation or calculations significantly. It simply means that the mass does not contribute to the change in kinetic energy and can be factored out of the equation. This can make calculations simpler and more straightforward, especially when dealing with more complex systems involving multiple objects with varying masses.