1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does the Average angular velocity and Instantaneous angular velocity give different results?

1. Nov 3, 2014 #1
    • Note that use of the homework template is mandatory in the homework forums.
    Can somebody explain to me the reason why? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2014 #2
    Chances are your velocity was changing. The instantaneous = the average only when it is absolutely constant.

4. Nov 3, 2014 #3
    Say there was an object that was experiencing a varying angular acceleration decreasing over time to zero. Would that mean its velocity continues to increase/change over time?

5. Nov 3, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The instantaneous is the average over an arbitrarily short time interval. In general, an average velocity can be over a substantial interval. In notation, d is used for an infinitesimal change, ##\Delta## for a general change. So ##\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}## is an average velocity over time ##\Delta t##, while ##\frac{dx}{dt}## is the instantaneous velocity.

6. Nov 3, 2014 #5
    If the acceleration is nonzero, then velocity is changing, regardless of whether the acceleration varies. It is only when acceleration = 0 that velocity is constant.

7. Nov 3, 2014 #6
    Ah I see. So because the velocity is changing over time, we get a curved position vs time graph (representing velocity) to show that its increasing. and so if we take the instant angular velocity at a single time it wouldnt equal with the average angular velocity (between two time intervals) because like you said, that velocity changes for every time, correct? Just wanted to make sure I follow what you're telling me.

Thanks!

8. Nov 3, 2014 #7
    It sounds like you've got it right.
    I'll provide an example for you.
    suppose you have velocities v=(1,2,3,4) at times t=(1,2,3,4)
    the average velocity over the whole time is 2.5.
    The average velocity over the first 3 seconds is 2.
    The instantaneous velocities are only defined at a point, so for instance at t=4, the instantaneous velocity is 4.

make sense?

9. Nov 3, 2014 #8
    Thanks you're the best!

10. Nov 3, 2014 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right, except there is certain to be some instant in the interval at which the instantaneous velocity equals the average over the interval (mean value theorem).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted