What is the relationship between instantaneous and average angular velocity?

• Thread starter Aristotle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curiousity
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between instantaneous and average velocity, and how it is affected by changing acceleration. The example provided illustrates how the two velocities can differ and the importance of considering time intervals. Additionally, the concept of the mean value theorem is mentioned.
Aristotle
Note that use of the homework template is mandatory in the homework forums.
Can somebody explain to me the reason why? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Chances are your velocity was changing. The instantaneous = the average only when it is absolutely constant.

elegysix said:
Chances are your velocity was changing. The instantaneous = the average only when it is absolutely constant.

Say there was an object that was experiencing a varying angular acceleration decreasing over time to zero. Would that mean its velocity continues to increase/change over time?

Aristotle said:
Can somebody explain to me the reason why? Thanks!
The instantaneous is the average over an arbitrarily short time interval. In general, an average velocity can be over a substantial interval. In notation, d is used for an infinitesimal change, ##\Delta## for a general change. So ##\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}## is an average velocity over time ##\Delta t##, while ##\frac{dx}{dt}## is the instantaneous velocity.

Aristotle said:
Say there was an object that was experiencing a varying angular acceleration decreasing over time to zero. Would that mean its velocity continues to increase/change over time?

If the acceleration is nonzero, then velocity is changing, regardless of whether the acceleration varies. It is only when acceleration = 0 that velocity is constant.

elegysix said:
If the acceleration is nonzero, then velocity is changing, regardless of whether the acceleration varies. It is only when acceleration = 0 that velocity is constant.
Ah I see. So because the velocity is changing over time, we get a curved position vs time graph (representing velocity) to show that its increasing. and so if we take the instant angular velocity at a single time it wouldn't equal with the average angular velocity (between two time intervals) because like you said, that velocity changes for every time, correct? Just wanted to make sure I follow what you're telling me.

Thanks!

It sounds like you've got it right.
I'll provide an example for you.
suppose you have velocities v=(1,2,3,4) at times t=(1,2,3,4)
the average velocity over the whole time is 2.5.
The average velocity over the first 3 seconds is 2.
The instantaneous velocities are only defined at a point, so for instance at t=4, the instantaneous velocity is 4.

make sense?

elegysix said:
It sounds like you've got it right.
I'll provide an example for you.
suppose you have velocities v=(1,2,3,4) at times t=(1,2,3,4)
the average velocity over the whole time is 2.5.
The average velocity over the first 3 seconds is 2.
The instantaneous velocities are only defined at a point, so for instance at t=4, the instantaneous velocity is 4.

make sense?
Thanks you're the best!

Aristotle said:
if we take the instant angular velocity at a single time it wouldn't equal with the average angular velocity (between two time intervals)
Right, except there is certain to be some instant in the interval at which the instantaneous velocity equals the average over the interval (mean value theorem).

1. Why do people ask questions?

People ask questions to gain knowledge, seek clarification, and engage in conversation. Asking questions is a fundamental part of human curiosity and learning.

2. How do questions benefit us?

Questions help us to expand our understanding and perspectives, stimulate critical thinking, and promote problem-solving. They also facilitate communication and foster relationships with others.

3. Are there different types of questions?

Yes, there are different types of questions, such as open-ended, closed-ended, probing, and leading questions. Each type serves a specific purpose and can be used in different contexts.

4. Can asking questions improve our mental abilities?

Yes, asking questions can improve our mental abilities by promoting cognitive flexibility, creativity, and memory. It also helps us to develop better communication skills and expand our knowledge base.

5. Is there a right or wrong way to ask questions?

There is no specific right or wrong way to ask questions. However, asking respectful and open-minded questions can lead to more productive and meaningful conversations. It is also essential to consider the context and the person you are asking the question to.