Why Does the Contour Matter in the Klein Gordon Propagator Integral?

In summary, the contour around the poles is important for getting the same result as the end point of the integral.
Silviu
Hello! I am reading about Klein Gordon operator from Peskin book and he reaches at a point the integral ##\int_0^\infty \frac{1}{p^2-m^2}e^{-ip(x-y)}dp^0##. He then explains the different approaches of doing this integral, depending on how you pick the contour around the 2 poles. Why does the contour matter? One should get the same result in the end, no matter how you twist your contour around the poles (some ways are easier to solve but the result should be the same in the end). So what is the point of all this? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct choice of the contour is the essence of the entire calculation. In vacuum QFT you need the time-oredered propagator (which in this case is the same as the Feynman propagator). A much better derivation than the handwaving one given in Peskin&Schroeder is to simply evaluate the expectation value, defining the free KG propagator, using the mode decomposition of the field operator:
$$\mathrm{i} \Delta(x)=\langle \Omega|\mathcal{T} \hat{\phi}(x) \hat{\phi}(0) \omega \rangle.$$
The mode decomposition is
$$\hat{\phi}(x)=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{p} \frac{1}{\sqrt{(2 \pi)^3 2 \omega_{\vec{p}}}} \left [\hat{a}(\vec{p}) \exp(-\mathrm{i} p \cdot x)+\hat{a}^{\dagger}(\vec{p}) \exp(+\mathrm{i} p \cdot x) \right]_{p^0=\omega_{\vec{p}}},$$
where
$$\omega_{\vec{p}}=+\sqrt{\vec{p}^2+m^2}.$$
Using this convention the commutation relations for the annihilation and creation operators read
$$[\hat{a}(\vec{p}),\hat{a}^{\dagger}(\vec{p}')]=\delta^{(3)}(\vec{p}-\vec{p}').$$
Now first evaluate the Mills representation Wightman function ("fixed order correlation function")
$$\mathrm{i} \Delta^{21}(x)=\langle \hat{\phi}(x) \hat{\phi}(0),$$
i.e.,
$$\mathrm{i} \Delta_{M}^{21}(t,\vec{p})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \langle \hat{\phi}(x) \hat{\phi}(0) \rangle \exp(-\mathrm{i} \vec{x} \cdot \vec{p}).$$
Then you get the Mills representation of the time-ordered function as
$$\Delta_{M}(t,\vec{p})=\Theta(t) \Delta_{M}^{21}(t,\vec{p}) + \Theta(-t) \Delta_{M}^{21}(-t ,\vec{p}).$$
Then to finally get the momentum-space Green function do the final Fourier transformation with respect to ##t##. The final result, of course should be
$$\tilde{\Delta}(p)=\frac{1}{p^2-m^2+\mathrm{i} 0^+}.$$

vanhees71 said:
The correct choice of the contour is the essence of the entire calculation. In vacuum QFT you need the time-oredered propagator (which in this case is the same as the Feynman propagator). A much better derivation than the handwaving one given in Peskin&Schroeder is to simply evaluate the expectation value, defining the free KG propagator, using the mode decomposition of the field operator:
$$\mathrm{i} \Delta(x)=\langle \Omega|\mathcal{T} \hat{\phi}(x) \hat{\phi}(0) \omega \rangle.$$
The mode decomposition is
$$\hat{\phi}(x)=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{p} \frac{1}{\sqrt{(2 \pi)^3 2 \omega_{\vec{p}}}} \left [\hat{a}(\vec{p}) \exp(-\mathrm{i} p \cdot x)+\hat{a}^{\dagger}(\vec{p}) \exp(+\mathrm{i} p \cdot x) \right]_{p^0=\omega_{\vec{p}}},$$
where
$$\omega_{\vec{p}}=+\sqrt{\vec{p}^2+m^2}.$$
Using this convention the commutation relations for the annihilation and creation operators read
$$[\hat{a}(\vec{p}),\hat{a}^{\dagger}(\vec{p}')]=\delta^{(3)}(\vec{p}-\vec{p}').$$
Now first evaluate the Mills representation Wightman function ("fixed order correlation function")
$$\mathrm{i} \Delta^{21}(x)=\langle \hat{\phi}(x) \hat{\phi}(0),$$
i.e.,
$$\mathrm{i} \Delta_{M}^{21}(t,\vec{p})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \langle \hat{\phi}(x) \hat{\phi}(0) \rangle \exp(-\mathrm{i} \vec{x} \cdot \vec{p}).$$
Then you get the Mills representation of the time-ordered function as
$$\Delta_{M}(t,\vec{p})=\Theta(t) \Delta_{M}^{21}(t,\vec{p}) + \Theta(-t) \Delta_{M}^{21}(-t ,\vec{p}).$$
Then to finally get the momentum-space Green function do the final Fourier transformation with respect to ##t##. The final result, of course should be
$$\tilde{\Delta}(p)=\frac{1}{p^2-m^2+\mathrm{i} 0^+}.$$
Thank you, I will take a look on your derivation. But letting the physics meaning of it aside, mathematically speaking, the contour integral of a holomoprhic function should be the same no matter the contour (if the end points are the same, and here they are ##\pm \infty##). So, in the end, why would one get different results, for different contours?

There are poles on the real ##p^0## axis. So the integral as it stands is not defined, and you have to find the "detour" of the complex integration path around the poles which gives you the Green's function you want. There are infinitely many Green's functions of the KG operator. Besides the time-ordered one we need here, there's the retarded and advanced Green's function as well. In general given any Green's function you can add any solution of the homogeneous KG equation you like and still have a Green's function. The physics question decides which specific one you need. For perturbation theory in vacuum QFT you need the time-ordered one, as is derived a little later in Peskin&Schroeder.

What is the Klein Gordon propagator?

The Klein Gordon propagator is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to describe the propagation of scalar particles, such as the Higgs boson. It is a complex function that represents the probability amplitude for a particle to move from one point in space-time to another.

How is the Klein Gordon propagator calculated?

The Klein Gordon propagator is calculated using the Klein Gordon equation, which is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of scalar particles. The equation involves taking the Fourier transform of the particle's energy-momentum relation and then inverting the result. This results in a complex function that represents the propagator.

What is the significance of the Klein Gordon propagator?

The Klein Gordon propagator is essential in quantum field theory as it allows us to calculate the probability amplitude for a scalar particle to propagate between two points in space-time. This is crucial in understanding the behavior and interactions of particles at a quantum level.

How does the Klein Gordon propagator differ from other propagators?

The Klein Gordon propagator differs from other propagators, such as the Feynman propagator, in that it describes the propagation of scalar particles rather than fermionic particles. It also follows different mathematical rules and has a different physical interpretation.

What are the applications of the Klein Gordon propagator?

The Klein Gordon propagator has various applications in theoretical physics, including the study of particle interactions, quantum field theory, and the behavior of scalar particles in different physical systems. It also has applications in understanding the Higgs boson and other fundamental particles in the Standard Model of particle physics.