Why Does the Delta Potential Only Allow a Single Negative Energy State?

• Thread starter mielgosez
  • Start date
E.In summary, problem 1.4 of Cohen Tannoudji involves finding the Fourier transform of a wave function with a potential of -αδ(x) and showing that only one negative value of E is possible. The method used can only find the bound state of the particle, not the ones in which it propagates. The reason for this is that for x≠0, the potential term becomes zero and the equation diverges.
mielgosez

Homework Statement

problem 1.4 of Cohen Tannoudji:
The exercise is divided into two parts:
THE FIRST ONE (part a.) asks to find the Fourier transform of a wave function when the potential is: -αδ(x). In terms of p, E, alpha and ψ(0)
and
ask to “show that only one value of E, a negative one, is possible” Furthermore, they claim that “Only the bound state of the particle, and not the ones in which it propagates, is found by this method; why?”

Homework Equations

the Schrodinger equation:
-ℏ^2/2m d^2/〖dx〗^2 ψ(x)-αδ(x)ψ(x)=E ψ(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, I was solving the problem 1.4 of Cohen Tannoudji:
THE FIRST ONE (part a.) asks to find the Fourier transform of a wave function when the potential is: -αδ(x). In terms of p, E, alpha and ψ(0)
I did the next procedure:
I wrote down the Schrodinger equation:
-ℏ^2/2m d^2/〖dx〗^2 ψ(x)-αδ(x)ψ(x)=E ψ(x) …………………………………………………………………… (i)

Then, I applied a Fourier Transform over the equation (i) What I got was:
-ℏ^2/2m 〖(ik)〗^2 ψ ̅(k)-αψ(0)=E ψ ̅(k)………………………………………………………………………….(ii)
Finally, I express ψ ̅(k) in terms of the given parameters, using the fact that p=ℏk
ψ ̅(k)=(α ψ(0))/(p^2/2m-E)…………………………………………………………………………………………………………(iii)
Now, they ask to “show that only one value of E, a negative one, is possible” Furthermore, they claim that “Only the bound state of the particle, and not the ones in which it propagates, is found by this method; why?”
What I know is that as E=V(r)+p^2/2m and for x≠0 V(r)=0, then equation (iii) diverge. But, I don’t get why there’s

Physics news on Phys.org
mielgosez said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, I was solving the problem 1.4 of Cohen Tannoudji:
I did the next procedure:
I wrote down the Schrodinger equation:
-ℏ^2/2m d^2/〖dx〗^2 ψ(x)-αδ(x)ψ(x)=E ψ(x) …………………………………………………………………… (i)

Then, I applied a Fourier Transform over the equation (i) What I got was:
-ℏ^2/2m 〖(ik)〗^2 ψ ̅(k)-αψ(0)=E ψ ̅(k)………………………………………………………………………….(ii)
You have to take care with the constants. The Fourier transform of the potential term is
[tex]-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \alpha\delta(x)\psi(x)e^{-ikx}\,dk[/tex]Note also that your method will give you [itex]\bar{\varphi}(k)[/itex], not [itex]\bar{\varphi}(p)[/itex].
Finally, I express ψ ̅(k) in terms of the given parameters, using the fact that p=ℏk
ψ ̅(k)=(α ψ(0))/(p^2/2m-E)…………………………………………………………………………………………………………(iii)
Now, they ask to “show that only one value of E, a negative one, is possible”
Use the fact that
[tex]\varphi(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \bar{\varphi}(p)e^{ipx/\hbar}\,dp[/tex]to calculate [itex]\varphi(0)[/itex].
Furthermore, they claim that “Only the bound state of the particle, and not the ones in which it propagates, is found by this method; why?”
What I know is that as E=V(r)+p^2/2m and for x≠0 V(r)=0, then equation (iii) diverge. But, I don’t get why there’s

Related to Why Does the Delta Potential Only Allow a Single Negative Energy State?

1. What is the main topic of "Chapter 1 Cohen Tannoudji"?

The main topic of "Chapter 1 Cohen Tannoudji" is quantum mechanics and the fundamental principles of this field.

2. Who is Cohen Tannoudji?

Cohen Tannoudji is a French physicist who won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1997 for his work in the development of methods to cool and trap atoms with laser light.

3. What are some key concepts covered in this chapter?

Some key concepts covered in this chapter include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, and the Schrödinger equation.

4. Is this chapter suitable for beginners in quantum mechanics?

Yes, this chapter is suitable for beginners as it provides an introduction to the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and does not assume prior knowledge in the field.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the concepts discussed in this chapter?

Yes, the concepts discussed in this chapter have a wide range of real-life applications, including in technology such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines.