1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does the spring constant go down after a specific mass?

1. Jun 8, 2014 #1
    I have been conducting a lab to find the force of a spring by calculating the oscillatory motion of the period. Each time i added a mass, i gained a higher spring constant, but on the 250g i ended up losing spring constant. I was wondering if anyone know why, or if i have done something wrong? The thumbnail i posted will have a better description of what i am trying to say.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2014 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's just because in practice, real-life springs behave nonlinearly (don't perfectly obey Hooke's law). In other words, the spring potential energy is not just ##V=\frac{1}{2}k(x-x_0)^2## but also contains higher order terms in ##(x-x_0)##. Hooke's law works well only for small displacements.

4. Jun 8, 2014 #3
    So for this instance on my lab report, should i record down because it doesn't perfectly obey hooke's law?

5. Jun 8, 2014 #4

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's what I would write in the report if I were you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted