Why Doesn't All the Ice Melt When Mixed with Warmer Water?

In summary, the problem involves mixing 2kg of ice at -2 deg celsius with 1.7kg of water at 27 deg celsius. The questions are whether all the ice will melt in the water and if not, to determine the resulting temperature of the mixture or the amount of ice that does not melt. The answer to the first question is that not all the ice will melt, but the reason and what to look for are unclear. The second question's answer is 1.35kg, but the process and reasoning behind it are also unclear. The person asking for help is unsure of the concept and calculation of heat balance, and what happens to the ice when placed in the warmer water.
quessy

Homework Statement

a 2kg of ice at -2 deg celsius is mixed with 1.7kg of water at 27 deg celsius

Homework Equations

1. will all the ice melt in water?
2. if all the ice melted in water determine the resulting temperature of the mixture,
if not determine the amount of ice that does not melt

The Attempt at a Solution

the answers are: 1.) not all ice melted in water>> but i do not know why, in the first place i do not know what am i looking for or how to prove it. do i need to solve for the amount of ice that will melt? or the amount of heat required to melt the ice? how?

2.) the answer is 1.35kg. how and why? I'm using the formula Qgain = Qloss, but i think I'm lost right now, 'cause i can't even understand the concept of the question in number 1. pls help me. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what heat balance is and how it is calculated?

What happens to the ice (at -2°C) when you put it in a 27°C water?

--

Related to Why Doesn't All the Ice Melt When Mixed with Warmer Water?

1. What is the difference between ice mixed with water and just water?

Ice mixed with water is a mixture of solid ice particles and liquid water, while pure water is in a liquid state without any solid particles. The presence of ice particles in the mixture affects its properties, such as density and freezing point.

2. How does the temperature of ice mixed with water compare to the temperature of just water?

The temperature of ice mixed with water will be lower than the temperature of just water. This is because the ice particles have a lower temperature than the surrounding water, causing the overall temperature to decrease.

3. Why does ice mixed with water sometimes appear cloudy?

This is due to the air bubbles that get trapped in the ice as it freezes. These air bubbles can cause the ice to appear cloudy or opaque. The more air bubbles present, the cloudier the ice will appear.

4. Can ice mixed with water be used as a coolant or for refrigeration?

Yes, ice mixed with water can be used as a coolant or for refrigeration purposes. The mixture has a lower temperature than just water, making it effective in absorbing heat and cooling its surroundings.

5. How does the ratio of ice to water affect the properties of the mixture?

The ratio of ice to water can affect the properties of the mixture. A higher ratio of ice to water will result in a colder mixture with a lower density. On the other hand, a lower ratio of ice to water will result in a less cold mixture with a higher density.