Why dont air molecules cause collapse

In summary: However, this will also affect the interference pattern. In summary, the conversation discusses quantum physics and the two slit experiment, with questions about the behavior of particles and the role of consciousness in collapsing the wave function. It is explained that photons don't interact as strongly with their environment, and the detector itself does not send out a signal. The collapse of the wave function is due to entanglement with the detector, and aiming the particles toward one slit will affect the interference pattern. To fully understand this, it is recommended to read a book on the subject.
guitarzanaz
Hey everyone, I'm not a math or physics major. I've just read a bit about quantum physics and find it interesting. If i understand it correctly, with the two slit experiment, when you send one particle at a time through without a particle detector by the slit, it results in an interference pattern. If you put a particle detector by the slit, the particle acts like a regular ol particle. My first question is, why doesn't the particle interact with the molecules all around in the AIR. My second question is, does the particle detector send out some sort of signal that is more apt to cause the wave function to collapse? I just don't know how you get around knowledge or consciousness causing it to collapse, i would think that if a particle collapsed do to being "measured" by a measuring device...the air particles that the electron or photon or whatever is traveling through would cause the collapse. OK, and last question, can't you AIM to which slit you want the particle to go through? If someone can give me the their response in layman's terms i would appreciate it

Physics news on Phys.org
They do, sometimes. See this post. See also this book. The essential difference between photons and the large molecules used in the really cool experiments discussed there is that photons don't interact as strongly with its environment (the air).

The detector doesn't send out a signal. Knowledge and consciousness has nothing to do with it. The detector "collapses" the wavefunction because the states of the particle become entangled with the states of a system (the detector) which interacts very strongly with its environment (because it's a macroscopic system). To really understand this, you would probably have to read that book I linked to.

You can't really aim the particles toward one of the slits, but you can block the paths leading to the other slit, or put the particle source closer to one of the slits than the other.

Hi there! I understand your curiosity about quantum physics and the concept of wave function collapse. Let me try to answer your questions in a simple and understandable way.

Firstly, air molecules do not cause collapse because they are not considered to be "observers" in the quantum world. In the two-slit experiment, the particles are interacting with the slits and the detector, not with the air molecules. The air molecules are too large and too numerous to have any significant impact on the particles in the experiment.

Secondly, the particle detector itself does not cause the collapse. It simply measures the position of the particle, which then affects the wave function. The collapse occurs when the particle is observed or measured, regardless of whether it is by a detector or a human.

Now, to answer your last question, it is not possible to aim the particle to go through a specific slit in the experiment. This is because the particle exists in a state of superposition, meaning it can exist in multiple places at once. It is only when it is observed that it "chooses" a specific path.

I hope this helps to clarify some of your questions. Quantum physics can be a complex subject, but it is also fascinating and constantly evolving. Keep exploring and learning about it!

1. Why don't air molecules cause collapse?

Air molecules do not cause collapse because they are constantly moving and exerting force in all directions. This creates a balanced pressure within an object or structure, preventing it from collapsing.

2. How can buildings withstand the weight of air molecules?

Buildings are designed and constructed to withstand the weight of air molecules through the use of strong materials and structural support. The walls, beams, and columns of a building are able to distribute the weight of the air molecules evenly, keeping the structure stable.

3. What would happen if air molecules were to suddenly disappear?

If air molecules were to suddenly disappear, the pressure within an object or structure would become imbalanced, causing it to collapse. This is because there would be no opposing force to counteract the weight of the object.

4. Why do tall buildings need to be designed differently than shorter buildings?

Tall buildings need to be designed differently than shorter buildings because they experience greater pressure from air molecules due to their height. This means they require stronger materials and more structural support to withstand the weight of the air molecules and prevent collapse.

5. Is it possible for air molecules to cause collapse in certain scenarios?

Yes, in certain scenarios such as extreme weather conditions or structural weaknesses, air molecules can contribute to collapse. For example, in hurricanes or tornadoes, the strong winds can create a vacuum effect, causing buildings to collapse. Additionally, if a building is poorly constructed or has weak foundations, the weight of the air molecules can exacerbate any existing structural issues and lead to collapse.