Why don't Current and Voltage increase (series/parallel)

In summary, the discussion centered on the relationship between voltage and current in series and parallel batteries. It was clarified that increasing the voltage in a series battery would also increase the current, while increasing the current in a parallel battery would require an increase in voltage. This is due to the fact that in series circuits, the same current flows through all components, while in parallel circuits, the same voltage is applied to each component. The analogy of water flow in series and parallel pipes was used to explain this concept.
Prof. 27

Homework Statement

So right now I'm getting lost with series and parallel batteries.

Current is the change in charge over the change in time. Higher voltages increases the rate at which electrons leave the valence band and move into the conduction band. Wouldn't increasing the voltage also increase the current (as in the case of a battery series) and wouldn't increasing the current actually require an increase in voltage (as in the case of a parallel series.) Why is this not the case? I'm assuming the batteries mess with the resistance somehow, but I'm unsure of exactly how this works. I don't see how there could be any other reason given Ohm's Law.

Thanks for the help

Homework Equations

V = IR
I = V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Practical Electronics for Inventors, Wikipedia

Physics news on Phys.org
Ohms law is valid for conductors. In a conductor, the conduction band is partially filled with electrons without applying any voltage. The voltage gradient accelerate electrons and that increases the current.
Even in a semiconductor, the voltage gradient accelerates conduction electrons, and the higher drift speed makes the current bigger. The applied voltage usually does not increase the number of conduction electrons. It happens in special cases, in a Zener diode, for example.
The traditional batteries use chemical reactions between electrolyte and electrode to make the electrodes charged. The charges on the electrodes determine the potential difference between them. It is called the electromotive force, emf. When connecting a load (resistor) between the electrodes, current will flow, but that current flows through not only the external resistor, but also through the electrodes and electrolyte of the battery: They also have some resistance, called internal resistance Ri of the battery. The current in the circuit is I=emf /(Ri+R)
Connecting batteries in parallel, both of them supplies current for the load.

Current is the change in charge over the change in time. Higher voltages increases the rate at which electrons leave the valence band and move into the conduction band. Wouldn't increasing the voltage also increase the current (as in the case of a battery series)

Correct. I = V/R so if you increase the voltage by putting two batteries in series you get twice the current.

and wouldn't increasing the current actually require an increase in voltage

Correct. I = V/R If you want more current to flow you have to increase the voltage or reduce the resistance.

(as in the case of a parallel series.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "parallel series" ?

If you connect two identical batteries in parallel the voltage is unchanged. If the voltage is unchanged then the current (through the resistor) is unchanged.

This is from Wikipedia:

"Components of an electrical circuit or electronic circuit can be connected in many different ways. The two simplest of these are called series and parallel and occur very frequently. Components connected in series are connected along a single path, so the same current flows through all of the components.[1][2] Components connected in parallel are connected so the same voltage is applied to each component.[3]"

That's what I don't get. Is the Wikipedia author wrong, or do I not understand what he means by "the same current flows through all of the components" and "Components connected in parallel are connected so the same voltage is applied to each component."

Thanks for the help

The wiki author has it right. You need to look at some simple circuits. Series and parallel are about as fundamental as you can get so if you don't understand them yet, you really need to dig into the basics.

I know people don't like the water analogy as it's far from perfect but...

Flow rate = current
Pressure = Voltage

Series: Consider a number of water pipes connected in series to make one long water pipe. Water isn't compressible so the flow rate going in one end must be equal to the flow rate coming out. Likewise the flow rate in any of the individual pipes must be the same. If it wasn't the same that would imply water is accumulating at some point and that's not possible. This applies even if there is a constriction in one section. Adding a constriction in one pipe might change the local water pressure and the absolute flow rate but the flow rate in each section of pipe would be the same as every other section.

Parallel: Consider a number of houses connected to the same water main. If the water main is an "ideal" water main all houses will see the same water pressure. The flow rate to each house depends on use within the house. Adding a constriction to the pipes within a house does not change the pressure that house sees at the incoming main but does change the flow rate to/within the house.

Likes Prof. 27
That makes sense now. Thank you so much CWatters. Very much appreciated :)

FAQ: Why don't Current and Voltage increase (series/parallel)

1. Why don't Current and Voltage increase in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the current remains constant throughout the circuit, while the voltage is divided among the components. This is because the components are connected in a single path, so the same amount of current must flow through each component. Therefore, the total voltage across the circuit is equal to the sum of the voltage drops across each component. This results in a lower overall voltage and a constant current.

2. Why don't Current and Voltage increase in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the voltage remains constant across each branch, while the current is divided among the components. This is because the components are connected in multiple paths, so the total current entering the circuit is divided among the branches. Therefore, the total current is equal to the sum of the currents in each branch, resulting in a lower overall current and a constant voltage.

3. Can the current or voltage increase in a series-parallel circuit?

Yes, in a series-parallel circuit, the current and voltage can increase in certain scenarios. For example, if a series circuit is connected in parallel with another series circuit, the current and voltage can increase as the components are now connected in multiple paths. Similarly, if a parallel circuit is connected in series with another parallel circuit, the current and voltage can also increase as the components are now connected in a single path.

4. Is it possible to have a constant current and increasing voltage in a series circuit?

No, in a series circuit, the current remains constant while the voltage is divided among the components. This means that if one component has a higher resistance, the voltage drop across it will be higher, resulting in a lower voltage drop across the other components. Therefore, the overall voltage across the circuit will remain constant.

5. Can a parallel circuit have a constant voltage and increasing current?

No, in a parallel circuit, the voltage remains constant across each branch while the current is divided among the components. This means that if one component has a lower resistance, it will allow more current to flow through it, resulting in a lower current in the other branches. Therefore, the overall current in the circuit will remain constant.

Back