Why don't hydrogen and oxygen detonate when burned in the Space Shuttle engines?

In summary: This is due to the air/fuel mixture as it burns expanding in volume, and the heat of the flame speeds up the vaporization of the liquid fuel, which then ignites more air/fuel mixture. This is why when you turn on a small appliance, such as a hair dryer, the flame always appears to be ‘steady’. In an unsteady burning reaction, the flame front is constantly moving and hence the whole reaction zone is constantly in motion. This type of burning is what is found in a rocket engine where the fuel and oxidizer are mixed together before combustion. So basically, an unsteady
boab
When hydrogen and oxygen burn they form steam, or H2O. I was thinking of quick and easy way to make steam would be by burning H2 gas and "air" in a simple rocket engine type burner at the pressure I needed the steam. Disregarding that the resulting flame is about at the top of the list for heat liberated from combustion, this wouldn't be a disadvantage. So let's ignore the burner/boiler meltdown aspect.
Chemistry is not my strong point, so as I started looking into the idea I was immediately confronted with the fact that even at very low pressures, (say 3 atmospheres) H2 and O2 gases can be extremely explosive. Not just burning, but can suddenly detonate at "extremely high velocities". Often at 6000 fps + range. This aspect wouldn't be good on the burner/boiler.
However it suddenly occurred to me that the Space Shuttle main engines run on liquid H2 and O2, a much more concentrated form, and do not detonate even when injected into the engines at several hundred PSI, and are burned.
My question is simple, why? Obviously I'm overlooking something, probably basic, and would appreciate anyone's help in understanding what that is.

boab

Chemistry news on Phys.org
FYI - http://www.netl.doe.gov/technologies/coalpower/turbines/refshelf/GE%20Hydrogen-Fueled%20Turbines.pdf

As to the question on LH2/LOX:

f. Explosion Analysis: The method followed for the explosion analysis in Appendix B primarily came from references used in a seminar on the calculation and evaluation of fire and explosion hazards sponsored by the American Institute of Chemical Engineers. For confined gas explosions, the deflagration pressure wave is generally assumed to be 10 times the initial pressure. Calculations for a stoichiometric hydrogen-oxygen mixture show the deflagration pressure is approximately 143psia. When a pressure wave strikes a surface, a reflected pressure wave is developed. This reflected pressure is greater than the incident pressure and results from a momentum change, due to a change in direction when the moving air strikes a dense surface. The reflected pressure of a deflagration wave striking a surface normal to the incident pressure wave is approximately twice the deflagration pressure or, 285psia.[11,13]

[11] Tunkel, Steven J., "Methods for the Calculation of Fire and Explosion Hazards", AIChE Today Series. Course notes and excerpts, including:

[11a] Handbook of Compressed Gases, Third Edition, Compressed Gas Assn., Inc., Van Nostrand Reinhold, NY, 1990.

[11b] Kuchta, Joseph M., Investigation of Fire and Explosion Accidents in the Chemical, Mining, and Fuel-Related Industries - A Manual, U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Mines, Bulletin 680, 1985.

[13] Grelecki, Dr. Chester, "Fundamentals of Fire and Explosion Analysis", AIChE Today Series. Course notes and excerpts, including:

[13a] Glasstone, Samuel (Editor), The Effects of Nuclear Weapons, Chapter III: "Air Blast Phenomena", United States Atomic Energy Commission, April, 1962.

[13b] Cook, Melvin A., The Science of High Explosives, Appendix II, American Chemical Society Monograph Series. Reinhold Publishing Corp., New York, 1958.
Ref: http://www.dnfsb.gov/pub_docs/rfets/sir_19941201_rf.txt

With respect to the Shuttle Main Engines (SSME), please refer to:
http://www.pw.utc.com/vgn-ext-templating/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ef4f34890cb06110VgnVCM1000004601000aRCRD (Click on tab Characteristics)
Chamber Pressure: 2,994 psia

The 143 deflagration pressure is approximately 10 atm, but only 5% of the SSME chamber pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc:
I thank you for the very informative reply, to say the least. As the old saying goes, "Ask an you shall receive!" All the information and references you provided will keep me busy for some time. Very good material, right along with what I needed. Again my thanks for the trouble.
boab

BTW, note the fact that SSME runs with a rich (in hydrogen) mixture, i.e. the hydrogen content is greater than stoichioetric mix for pure combustion. The excess hydrogen absorbs the energy and increases the specific impulse, which is a measure of propulsive efficiency.

Hi boab. Thought I'd chime in just to help the understanding along...

Detonation has a specific meaning. This Wikipedia definition is pretty solid IMO:
Detonation is a process of supersonic combustion in which a shock wave is propagated forward due to energy release in a reaction zone behind it. It is the more powerful of the two general classes of combustion, the other one being deflagration. In a detonation, the shock compresses the material thus increasing the temperature to the point of ignition. The ignited material burns behind the shock and releases energy that supports the shock propagation. This self-sustained detonation wave is different from a deflagration, which propagates at a subsonic speed (i.e., slower than the sound speed of the explosive material itself), and without a shock or any significant pressure change.
Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detonation

There is a difference between what's called ‘steady burning’ (such as is found inside the Space Shuttle’s main engine) and ‘unsteady burning’. Steady burning is characterized by a (relatively) slow flame front propogation. When gasoline is burned with air inside an internal combustion (IC) engine for example, even though that burning is extremely rapid, the actual flame front moves relatively slowly in comparison to the sonic velocity, so the air/fuel mixture inside an IC engine does not "detonate", it actually burns at a relatively slow (compared with sonic) velocity. If you put a high speed camera inside the cylinder of an IC engine for example, you'd see this boundary between the burnt gasses and unburnt fuel/air mixture, and that boundary would propogate outward from the source of ignition (spark plug).

Detonation or deflagration on the other hand, is a type of unsteady burning wherein the flame front travels at supersonic velocity through a mixture of flammable gasses. Detonation or unsteady burning can be eliminated by not providing a flammable mixture to propogate through, which is essentially what is done inside the Shuttle engine. In that case, hydrogen and oxygen are separate prior to their mixing in the flame front. By eliminating the flammable mixture, the flame front can not propogate and there can be no detonation. Ahead of the flame front, there is no ignitable mixture. Behind the flame front is only spent product (water and excess hydrogen as Astronuc points out).

Try this paper. Look especially at the bottom of the third page where it talks about steady and unsteady hydrogen combustion:
http://eprint.iitd.ac.in/dspace/bitstream/2074/212/3/dashyd96.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why don't hydrogen and oxygen detonate when burned in the Space Shuttle engines?

1. What is the process of converting hydrogen into steam?

The process of converting hydrogen into steam is known as steam reforming. It involves the reaction of hydrogen gas with water vapor at high temperatures and pressures, typically using a catalyst. This results in the production of steam and carbon dioxide.

2. What is the purpose of using hydrogen to produce steam?

Hydrogen is a clean and sustainable energy source, making it an attractive option for producing steam. Using hydrogen to produce steam eliminates the need for fossil fuels, reducing emissions and promoting a more environmentally friendly energy source.

3. How efficient is the conversion of hydrogen to steam?

The efficiency of converting hydrogen to steam depends on the specific process and equipment used. Generally, steam reforming has an efficiency of around 80-85%, making it a relatively efficient method for producing steam.

4. What are the potential applications of hydrogen to steam conversion?

The conversion of hydrogen to steam has a wide range of potential applications, including power generation, heating, and industrial processes. It can also be used as a clean fuel for vehicles, with hydrogen fuel cell technology converting the hydrogen back into electricity.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to using hydrogen to produce steam?

One challenge of using hydrogen for steam production is the high cost of production and infrastructure. Additionally, hydrogen is highly flammable and must be handled with caution. There is also a need for further research and development to improve the efficiency and scalability of hydrogen to steam conversion processes.